Mon Dieu

A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

18 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:
On 20/07/2019 at 20:32, paul wright scores said:
Joe Gilroy was a PE teacher at my school in the late 70s and was manager of Queens Park at the time - he took one of the guys in my year to play for them while still at school. 
I think he later emigrated to Australia.

He emirgrated to Australia, Brisbane to be specific. Also spent time in South Africa & Iceland.

He managed both Brisbane NSL clubs, Lions and City.

16 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Grant Tierney of Meadowbank Thistle with the Second Division Trophy, 1987. 

The trophy was brought along to a meeting of the Meadowbank Supporters' Club. Wee Joe came along to the meeting with a fish supper, wasn't impressed by the trophy and put his chips in it. I pinched a couple so I can say I've eaten chips out of the Second Division trophy. 

I used to have that strip- wore it with pride. 

Tam Hendrie got us a set of white Raj tops for the staff team at school. We wore them one year to The Raj for our end of season night out. It was meant to be 1970 prices or whenever The Raj opened, but somehow it ended up just as pricy as usual, though I suppose the drink was the major part of the bill.

The roofless lavvies at the back of the North Bank at Love Street... metal urinal troughs already en route to Pittodrie.

ls3.jpg.45edb2d32b4037fa285fe895d8d2ab84.jpg
Remember them well (not fond memories though). They were right up there with the toilets under the stands at Falkirk and Hibs for sheer boggingness.

I appreciate some of the sentimental nostalgia for the old terracing but I'm glad toilet facilities at the football have moved on.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Remember them well (not fond memories though). They were right up there with the toilets under the stands at Falkirk and Hibs for sheer boggingness.

I appreciate some of the sentimental nostalgia for the old terracing but I'm glad toilet facilities at the football have moved on.

I'm pretty sure the toilets under the stand at Brockvile were the inspiration for THAT scene in Trainspotting. 

Roy Aitken has a few choice words with Gordon Strachan at the 1984 Scottish Cup Final, quite bizarre to think both would go on to manage their opponents that day. 

IMG_20190721_205537.jpg

I'm pretty sure the toilets under the stand at Brockvile were the inspiration for THAT scene in Trainspotting. 

The pigs at Muiravonside farm have better sanitary conditions than those toilets had. I remember when I was about 13 seeing an auld boy slip and fall a dull yin in those bogs. Up there with some of the most heartbreaking things I’ve ever seen tbh.

8 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

The pigs at Muiravonside farm have better sanitary conditions than those toilets had. I remember when I was about 13 seeing an auld boy slip and fall a dull yin in those bogs. Up there with some of the most heartbreaking things I’ve ever seen tbh.

No word of a lie this, when I first saw the film Hostel, the dark, damp, dimly lit torture room immediately reminded me of the bogs at Brockville, I vaguely remember a picture of them I seen somewhere, may have been on here or on social media but they were even worse looking in pictures than in the flesh. 

Edit.... there it is 😱😱😱

be79458326c785e7781ca1c504ebe078.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy

No word of a lie this, when I first saw the film Hostel, the dark, damp, dimly lit torture room immediately reminded me of the bogs at Brockville, I vaguely remember a picture of them I seen somewhere, may have been on here or on social media but they were even worse looking in pictures than in the flesh. 

Edit.... there it is
be79458326c785e7781ca1c504ebe078.jpg.9a779c2a8111ae4abc6ee04fe97ce3ea.jpg

Aye, if Jack The Ripper was a homophobe the Brockville bogs were where he’d hing aboot.

16 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

The Raj. That was a good Indian back then.

Grant Tierney related to the late Lawrie Tierney?

I think Lawrie was his brother IIRC. 

On 21/07/2019 at 12:58, williebhoy said:

St-Mirren

St-Mirren-4.jpg

That's a great looking strip.

Do St. Mirren sell a replica of the shirt? It's much better than any of their recent efforts.

David Narey outjumps a crisp seller as Dundee United win in the Nou Camp in 1987.

FB_IMG_1563832911111.jpg

King Kenny at a blizzard enveloped Anfield as Liverpool beat West Ham 2-1 in the English League Cup in January 1983.

FB_IMG_1563827310137.jpg

St John nets at Tynecastle .............1-5 4th March 1961......Pat Quinn the other dosser ........who are the Jambos?

329fd289d8ca387f4147801111f0ad10.jpg

Edited by Pettywulliegrew-2

St John nets at Tynecastle .............1-5 4th March 1961......Pat Quinn the other dosser ........who are the Jambos?
329fd289d8ca387f4147801111f0ad10.jpg&key=ade7105b3cf5be7c7369f71a02cdad6078d6857866ecacb5257b4013492121ee
Goalkeeper looks like Gordon Marshall.

On 20/07/2019 at 12:02, paul wright scores said:

Joe Gilroy was a PE teacher at my school in the late 70s and was manager of Queens Park at the time - he took one of the guys in my year to play for them while still at school. 

paisley grammar and ian aitken?

17 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

King Kenny at a blizzard enveloped Anfield as Liverpool beat West Ham 2-1 in the English League Cup in January 1983.

FB_IMG_1563827310137.jpg

I was at that.

A young Archie Gemmell, with hair during his spell at Preston North End. 

FB_IMG_1563896318173.jpg