A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

13 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

I recall a discussion between a mate and the guy who ran our Celtic supporters bus in the 90's on the merits of Peter Grant, mate of mine points out Grant gives 100% every game he plays..

...bus convenor replies "Aye, well 100% of f**k all is still f**k all at the end of the day, chase the useless b*****d" 

Scottish football has a tendency to worship players who we feel 'give 100%' regardless of their ability. F##k, I'd give 100% but it wouldn't be much use to any anyone.

I once heard Peter Grant described as 'not the worst player ever to play for Celtic but probably the worst to play over 300 games for Celtic'. That sums him up pretty well (and Celtic of his era).

The 1999/2000 Challenge Cup final in Airdrie where Alloa beat ICT on penalties after a 4-4 draw AET.  Here Paul Sheerin celebrates one of the 3 he got that afternoon.

Image result for paul sheerin Inverness

Another one from the same season.  Our firast season in the old 1st division.  That team;

[back row] - Dennis Wyness, Kevin Byers, Mark McCulloch, Bobby Mann, Jim Calder, Ross Tokely, Mike Teasdale

[front row] - David Xausa, Richard Hastings, Paul Sheerin, Martin Glancy, Duncan Shearer, Barry Wilson.

Image result for richard hastings Inverness

17 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

As part of the 100th anniversary celebrations in 1990 of the Scottish Football League some bright spark thought a friendly between an SFL select and the national side would be of major appeal to the supporters, a crowd of about 10,000 turned up at Hampden (I vaguely recall a Scotsport special as well on STV :blink:) to see a Scotland side, fresh off the back of finding another way to not make the knockout phases of a major tournament at the world cup in Italy earlier that summer, by making an arse of ourselves against Costa Rica and then a Jim Leighton howler gifting an already qualified and uninterested Brazil a late winner when a point would have sent us to the last 16, sandwiched either side of a surprise win over Sweden. Still, at least we qualified for fucking tournaments back then. 

The 'glamour' friendly at Hampden which, merely pissed club fans off by delaying the start of the league campaign to the last weekend in August, was such a fucking non event played in a near deserted Hampden I can't even recall the score....anyone here remember?

Some good players in the SFL side mind you, ineligible for Scotland in the case of Gary Stevens, Theo Snelders, Miodrag Krivokapic, Chris Morris and Hans Gillhaus, young stars who would go on to star for Scotland such as Paul Lambert, David Robertson, Tom Boyd and Billy McKinlay or, guys not capped for Scotland because they were fucking pish like Keith Wright. 

Back row, Charlie Nicholas, Billy McKinlay, Keith Wright, Packie Bonner, Theo Snelders, Robert Conner, David Robertson, Mio Krivokapic, Tom Boyd.

Front row, Freddy Van Der Hoorn (I think), Hans Gilhaus, Istvan Kozma, Gary Stevens, Chris Morris, Paul Lambert, Jim McInally.

067_324__sfl1990_1471522619_standard.jpg

With players from 9 of the 10 Premier League teams that season

The 28 lower league teams got the Challenge cup as a one off event that season

We had a player who had played in the Final of Euro 88 just over 2 years before this game yet he was not selected.

18 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Keith Wright was a decent player. Certainly not deserving of being singled out from a team containing McKinlay, McInally, Morris and Boyd.

btw how in God's name did Boyd get 72 Scotland caps ? Apart from playing for Celtic, obviously.

Boyd was a very good player, very consistent, rarely injured and never retired from International duty at a young age like the current p***k that is captain of Celtic...all that said, Boyd is a thoroughly unlikeable individual, a total knob of a guy

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

With players from 9 of the 10 Premier League teams that season

The 28 lower league teams got the Challenge cup as a one off event that season

We had a player who had played in the Final of Euro 88 just over 2 years before this game yet he was not selected.

Baltacha?

On 08/05/2019 at 20:02, cowdenbeath said:

It was 1-0 Hans Gillhaus scored with a penalty. Wee Jum McLean was in charge of the SFL side crowd was 15085.

I was there.. one of the 15,085 rattling about a Hampden Park that had a capacity of 70,000 at the time. I started talking to the bloke next to me:  "OI MATE..." 

The match was seen at the time as a pretty tinpot way to celebrate 100 years of the Scottish League. 

Dave Narey leads Dundee United out for the second leg of the 1987 UEFA Cup Final at Tannadice against IFK Gothenburg, a 1-0 defeat in the first leg in same stadium Aberdeen won the 1983 CWC in coupled with a 1-1 draw here saw Jim McLean's brilliant side fall just short, having beaten Barcelona home and away in the quarter finals, and a 2-0 away win in Borussia Moenchengladbach in the semi final after a 0-0 draw at home in the first leg. 

Gothenburg's stadium I seem to recall a story about a Bruce Springsteen concert a week or two before the Dundee United game wrecked the pitch, the goal which did for Utd I remember taking a freakish bounce from a downward header completely deceiving Billy Thompson in his trademark joggie bottoms.

dundee.jpg