A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

15 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

By the way, was this in the days of "in case of clash, home team wore their change strip"? The blue looks fairly pale, so I guess not.

That's Saints in the darker shirts (blue: we'd only adopted it a couple of seasons before); Falkirk in white. It's the Falkirk goalie managing to cope with our lacklustre attack.

On the crowd size (Falkirk Herald estimated it as 12,000 by the second half) – I think it was due to it being Saints' first-ever home game in the top league – though Puddefoot might have been an added attraction. The Second Division Championship flag was hoisted – by a Falkirk director – before the game.

Edited by Mr Heliums

Surprised not to see this classic on here from the 1960's. 

Great quote here from Dave McKay on Bremner...

“He was a brilliant little player but a dirty little b******. He kicked me in the leg I’d just come back from breaking twice. If he’d kicked the other one, I could have accepted that. But he kicked the broken one and that really annoyed me. I could’ve killed him that day.”

dave-mackay-3217606b_orig.jpg

Edited by ICTJohnboy

Derek 'cup tie' McKay scores the only goal in the 1970 Scottish Cup semi final vs Kilmarnock, played in front of anything from 25,000 - 31,000 at Muirton Park, depending on who you believe.

Apparently there was a fair bit of fisticuffs and bottle throwing but then it was the 1970s when such things weren't seen as the end of civilisation

dlki7d.jpg

Edited by EdTheDuck

Derek 'cup tie' McKay scores the only goal in the 1970 Scottish Cup semi final vs Kilmarnock, played in front of anything from 25,000 - 31,000 at Muirton Park, depending on who you believe.
Apparently there was a fair bit of fisticuffs and bottle throwing but then it was the 1970s when such things weren't seen as the end of civilisation
dlki7d.jpg

Look at those kits. Fkin class.

1 hour ago, EdTheDuck said:

dlki7d.jpg

Why did you delete the b&w picture? Showed the old covered terracing.

1 hour ago, EdTheDuck said:

dlki7d.jpg

Aye my dad said it was wild. 

Football specials were eventful on way home to Killie. 

2 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

dlki7d.jpg

It was wild.  Went with my dad and his father and there was a lot of fighting.

There was a load of trouble at Fir Park in the quarter final too.

5 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It's just not the same :lol:

Everything in those last 2 pictures is sadly flattened. 

And Derek McKay died in 2008 aged just 59

He only ever scored 4 goals for AFC.  The only goal in the QF against Falkirk, that game winning goal against Kilmarnock in the semi and then 2 in the final.

Just now, EdTheDuck said:

And Derek McKay died in 2008 aged just 59

He only ever scored 4 goals for AFC.  The only goal in the QF against Falkirk, that game winning goal against Kilmarnock in the semi and then 2 in the final.

That's why his nickname was 'Cup Tie McKay'.   Think he emigrated to Australia not long after the final

12 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

That's why his nickname was 'Cup Tie McKay'.   Think he emigrated to Australia not long after the final

You're right, he did. This bit written by Aberdeen Journals is quite sad.

Derek’s hopes of building on his cup heroics in 1970 were wrecked when he asked Turnbull for a pay rise.

Derek said: “Eddie told me I wasn’t going to get any more money and that he would sit me in the stand to teach me a lesson.

“He did, until my contract ran out.

“That was the end of my Aberdeen career.”

Derek then had spells with Crystal Palace and Barrow before playing in Hong Kong, South Africa and Australia, where he eventually settled.

He became a window cleaner and also worked as a hospital porter.

Derek survived serious injuries suffered when he was involved in a car accident near Perth in 2003

10 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

You're right, he did. This bit written by Aberdeen Journals is quite sad.

Derek’s hopes of building on his cup heroics in 1970 were wrecked when he asked Turnbull for a pay rise.

Derek said: “Eddie told me I wasn’t going to get any more money and that he would sit me in the stand to teach me a lesson.

“He did, until my contract ran out.

“That was the end of my Aberdeen career.”

Derek then had spells with Crystal Palace and Barrow before playing in Hong Kong, South Africa and Australia, where he eventually settled.

He became a window cleaner and also worked as a hospital porter.

Derek survived serious injuries suffered when he was involved in a car accident near Perth in 2003

That's a terrible way to treat someone who did so much in these 3 cup ties. 

Turnbull is proof of how badly players were treated years go by managers, even though on paper he was a successful manager.  No wonder the Bosman ruling evolved.

Just now, paul wright scores said:

That's a terrible way to treat someone who did so much in these 3 cup ties. 

Turnbull is proof of how badly players were treated years go by managers, even though on paper he was a successful manager.  No wonder the Bosman ruling evolved.

Correction - that's a terrible way to treat anyone, irrespective of what he did in these 3 cup ties.