A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

30 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Here is Davie Cooper scoring the penalty at Cardiff in 1985, another dubious handball, I remember Neville Southall getting two hands to it but squirming through. Jim Leighton had to be subbed at HT for Alan Rough as the Aberdeen keeper lost a contact lense and was struggling to see properly. My abiding memory is of Alex Ferguson, Graeme Souness and Ernie Walker in tears on the Scotland team bus after Jock Stein's tragic death.

100985-world-cup-qualifier-wales-v-scotland-ninian-park-davie-cooper-BJKYEN.jpg

100985-world-cup-qualifier-wales-v-scotland-ninian-park-davie-cooper-BJKY0B.jpg

David Speedie on the left. Is it Jim Bett over Cooper's shoulder?

Here is Davie Cooper scoring the penalty at Cardiff in 1985, another dubious handball, I remember Neville Southall getting two hands to it but squirming through. Jim Leighton had to be subbed at HT for Alan Rough as the Aberdeen keeper lost a contact lense and was struggling to see properly. My abiding memory is of Alex Ferguson, Graeme Souness and Ernie Walker in tears on the Scotland team bus after Jock Stein's tragic death.
100985-world-cup-qualifier-wales-v-scotland-ninian-park-davie-cooper-BJKYEN.thumb.jpg.76ac4bebaf4182751d15fefb0bc9d564.jpg
100985-world-cup-qualifier-wales-v-scotland-ninian-park-davie-cooper-BJKY0B.thumb.jpg.355ec2046f100340ea499861c7965e9c.jpg

Great pics. Strange that both teams were allowed to turn out in white socks - slack refereeing IMO.

4 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

David Speedie on the left. Is it Jim Bett over Cooper's shoulder?

Correct

4 minutes ago, resk said:

Great pics. Strange that both teams were allowed to turn out in white socks - slack refereeing IMO.

Those shorts though  :lol:

I actually got that full strip, shorts included for Christmas that year  !

This is a rare 1909 pic of St Johnstone's Recreation Grounds, their home pre-Muirton Park, showing the terracing behind the goal as well as one stand. The pitch is flooded – an occurrence of such regularity that it prompted the move to Muirton.
recreation-grounds.png.d2b1a86644616bd3209a7cef385580cc.png

Superb image, where did you find this one and the Arsenal fan picture?

1zd3v5l.jpg

The Washington Whips team photo from 1967. Or Aberdeen Dons, Scotland.

They played in a league called the United Soccer Association with 11 other teams including Hibs & Dundee United and Stoke, Wolves & Sunderland and Glentoran & Shamrock Rovers.  European & South American teams completed the number.

Aberdeen made it to the finals against Wolves after a 12 game *regular* season but lost the final 5-6 aet (and First Goal Wins extra time).

Here's the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Soccer_Association#Competing_teams

and believe it or not here's a video of the final. The quality, particularly at the beginning is murder but it's worth watching a bit just to see the reaction of the players when they score. Looks like they meant it :lol:

This is how the DABS ended up playing in tangerine as they moonlighted as the Dallas Tornado in the NASL.

Dallas Tornado 1967 (USA)
Coach: Jerry Kerr (3-6-3 Sixth)
Tornado%2067%20Road%20Team%202_small.jpg
Dundee United of Scotland played the 1967 United Soccer Association (USA) season as the Dallas Tornado.
Photo from http://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk

Num Name Pos Ht Wt GP G A Pt Born/Citizen
1 Sandy Davie G 6' 0" 165 7 0 0 0 Scotland
2 Tommy Millar D 5' 7" 155 10     0 Scotland
3 Jim Cameron D 5' 9" 154 10 1 0 2  
3, 4 Tommy Neilson M 5' 7" 165 11     0 Scotland
5, 8 Dennis Gillespie F 5' 9" 160 10 1 2 4 Scotland
5 Doug Smith M 5' 11"           Scotland
6, 12 Walter Smith M 5' 11" 168 3     0 Scotland
6, 7 Jim Moore D 5' 9" 165 10     0  
7, 8 Finn Seemann F 6' 0" 170 5 1 1 3 Norway
9 Billy Hainey F 5' 8" 164 11 2 0 4  
10 Jackie Graham F 5' 7" 155 11 4 2 10 Scotland
10, 13 Mogens Berg F 6' 4" 160 10 2 2 6 Denmark
11 Gerry Hernon M              
14 Finn Dossing F 6' 0" 165 10 3 0 6 Denmark
15 Ian Scott F 6' 0" 169 4 0 0 0  
16 Donald Mackay G 5' 11" 168 7 0 0 0 Scotland
  Jim Briggs D     5 0 0 0 Scotland

Jim Leighton and Gary Gillespie look on after the keeper had fumbled Alemao's shot late on for Muller to tap in and to give Brazil a 1-0 victory at Italia 90 and consign us to another group stage exit at a World Cup.  For a bonus boot in the baws Tafarell made an unbelievable save from Mo Johnston in the dying seconds. 

These days we'd settle to just qualify for a tournament. 

1990-world-cup-first-round-group-c-match-in-turin-italy-brazil-1-v-EKP7AG.jpg

Apologies if these have been posted already.

Willie Waddell leading Killie out at Tynecastle after winning the league on goal average in 1965

GL272775.jpg

Ally Mitchell and Tommy Burns after securing a draw at Easter Road which kept us in the top flight. One of the best Killie away supports I've ever been a part of.

JS36313544.jpg

Programme from Killie v Real Madrid in 1965

k65%20Real%20Madrid%20H%20EC.jpg

1929 Scottish Cup final which saw Killie beat Rangers 2-0 in front of over 110,000.

Crowd on John Finnie St waiting for the team to arrive after beating Falkirk in the 1997 cup final

2012-11-09_29.JPG

31 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Jim Leighton and Gary Gillespie look on after the keeper had fumbled Alemao's shot late on for Muller to tap in and to give Brazil a 1-0 victory at Italia 90 and consign us to another group stage exit at a World Cup.  For a bonus boot in the baws Tafarell made an unbelievable save from Mo Johnston in the dying seconds. 

I was at that game behind the goal and had a seat so near the front I never realised someone had tapped it in at the back post until about 3 years later when I saw it on TV. The advert boards meant I could see pretty much f**k all in the closest half of the pitch. Saw Johnston's miss as clear as day, right enough.

We still would have qualified if not for Uruguay scoring a 115th minute winner against South Korea a day or two later though. The referee was at it.

19 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Out of shot is a static Alex McLeish who doesn't bother breaking into a trot until Mueller has run farther than he'd have needed to, to squeeze it in at the post.

20 hours ago, resk said:

Odd that we did at all. 

They were change socks for us, so it's strange that we wore them.  I wonder if we were anticipating Wales wearing red ones.  I think that they normally wore white ones as part of that kit though.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Out of shot is a static Alex McLeish who doesn't bother breaking into a trot until Mueller has run farther than he'd have needed to, to squeeze it in at the post.

Thank goodness it's not just me. I've slagged McLeish for ball watching for years and have normally been told, cough cough, not to be silly. I've always thought he was at least as culpable as Leighton.

Here's a better image of the old St Johnstone 'pavilion' at the Recreation Grounds.  A boxy little thing, but good value. In 1912, a season ticket to the pavilion during the old second division days cost 10 shillings (just over £50 in today's money). You could slum it in the ground for half that.

The picture was taken early in the 1924-25 season during a 0-0 draw with Falkirk in the top league. The match report described the game as 'as robust and devoid of science … as any second league game', so in seven or eight years we'll be celebrating a centenary of shitfesting.

For all the limitations of the ground, it's sobering to note that there were more people at this game – 11,000 – than have attended any game at McDiarmid.

For the poster who was asking about where the ground was, you can see the trees of the southern end of the South Inch on the right-hand side of the photo. Here's a 1901 map, which shows the ground and the location of the pavilion on the west side.  You can view it overlaid on a modern map here.

recreation-grounds.png

recreationgrounds-map.png

We were to abandon the ground four months after this pic was taken, and the area went, quite literally, to waste. There were complaints about rubbish dumping on the site in the period leading up to the Second World War, though there was a short-lived attempt to resuscitate local rivals Fair City Athletic, who played at least one game at the old ground in 1935. But even by 1931 it was effectively scrubland: this aerial shot from that year shows that everything has been flattened – though you can just make out the lighter strip of land where the pavilion stood.

recreation-grounds-pic.png

Edited by Mr Heliums

37 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Here's a better image of the old St Johnstone 'pavilion' at the Recreation Grounds.  A boxy little thing, but good value. In 1912, a season ticket to the pavilion during the old second division days cost 10 shillings (just over £50 in today's money). You could slum it in the ground for half that.

The picture was taken early in the 1924-25 season during a 0-0 draw with Falkirk in the top league. The match report described the game as 'as robust and devoid of science … as any second league game', so in seven or eight years we'll be celebrating a centenary of shitfesting.

For all the limitations of the ground, sobering to note that there were more people at this game – 11,000 – than have attended any game at McDiarmid.

For the poster who was asking about where the ground was, you can see the trees of the southern end of the South Inch on the right-hand side of the photo. Here's a 1901 map, which shows the ground and the location of the pavilion on the west side.  I like to think my grandad was at this match.

recreation-grounds.png

recreationgrounds-map.png

That was me, and perfect response, thank you. Apt it's the Bairns cruising into town that day.