A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I kinda love the fact that so many men wore a shirt and tie to the football back then.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I kinda love the fact that so many men wore a shirt and tie to the football back then.

Up to the 1960s and even the early 70s, lots of men would be required to work Saturday mornings and would be going to the game straight from work. Also, the average working man did not have a casual wardrobe of clothes seperate from his work clothes. The ony real decision was tie on or tie off.

14 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Up to the 1960s and even the early 70s, lots of men would be required to work Saturday mornings and would be going to the game straight from work. Also, the average working man did not have a casual wardrobe of clothes seperate from his work clothes. The ony real decision was tie on or tie off.

Yes, there will be an element of that.

Would that big a percentage of football fans have been engaged in white collar work back then though?  I think that in 1970, most of those who worked on Saturday mornings, would not have sported a tie to do so.

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, there will be an element of that.

Would that big a percentage of football fans have been engaged in white collar work back then though?  I think that in 1970, most of those who worked on Saturday mornings, would not have sported a tie to do so.

Workers that wouldn't dream of weaing a jacket and tie now - shop workers, warhousemen, tradesmen, milkmen, certainly all office workers would be wearing jacket and tie. If you look at old photos even road workers and shipyard workers are wearing jacket trousers and waistcoat ! Maybe a lot of factory workers would leave their overalls/dungarees on a peg at the factory ?

4 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Workers that wouldn't dream of weaing a jacket and tie now - shop workers, warhousemen, tradesmen, milkmen, certainly all office workers would be wearing jacket and tie. If you look at old photos even road workers and shipyard workers are wearing jacket trousers and waistcoat ! Maybe a lot of factory workers would leave their overalls/dungarees on a peg at the factory ?

My granddad followed Ayr his whole life (from 1930s-80s) and I know that he always wore a suit and a hat to the football. He did also wear a suit to watch certain news programmes on the tv so maybe that was just him. 

13 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

My memory of the 70s as a young lad was that the men went out on the town after they got off the supporters bus, without going home first. Going through to Glasgow when the M8 was only part finished, took most of the day,  and coming back the bus often detoured along Princes St to let them off.

On 11/16/2018 at 17:33, Flybhoy said:

A 'bit of ag' at a Hearts v Hibs game at Tynecastle in 1978.

IMG_20181116_172953.jpg

and so after that day, the SFA, the police  and Heart of Midlothian Footbll Club decied enough was enough, Hearts were then ordered to ring the terracing, main stand and enclosures with fencing and segragate the home and away fans. The famous Gorgie Road end became the away end so it was an end of an era for some old timers and traditionalists..... bloody hooligans. 

Still didn't stop them though.

and so after that day, the SFA, the police  and Heart of Midlothian Footbll Club decied enough was enough, Hearts were then ordered to ring the terracing, main stand and enclosures with fencing and segragate the home and away fans. The famous Gorgie Road end became the away end so it was an end of an era for some old timers and traditionalists..... bloody hooligans. 

Still didn't stop them though.
My older brother was on the pitch that day. He got photographed on was on the back of the Sunday Mail. They had back page and I'm sure a 3 page piece on it.
I can always remember my old man at the breakfast table looking up and saying " is that fucking you" to him.
Complete denial obviously.
The police arresting him obscured his face luckily.
When he left the kitchen I asked him if it was him and he said "aye but shush".
It was mental back then

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

My memory of the 70s as a young lad was that the men went out on the town after they got off the supporters bus, without going home first. Going through to Glasgow when the M8 was only part finished, took most of the day,  and coming back the bus often detoured along Princes St to let them off.

I couldn't tell you the last time I went home after a game to get changed for a night out. Once you're out on a saturday, you're out!

2 hours ago, Heart of Northern said:

My older brother was on the pitch that day. He got photographed on was on the back of the Sunday Mail. They had back page and I'm sure a 3 page piece on it.
I can always remember my old man at the breakfast table looking up and saying " is that fucking you" to him.
Complete denial obviously.
The police arresting him obscured his face luckily.
When he left the kitchen I asked him if it was him and he said "aye but shush".
It was mental back then

Of course none of us would condone it but i thought that was as funny as eff.

”Is that fucking you”

22 hours ago, Old Pack said:

IMG_5163.jpg

The Perth Pack, lol.  Never knew what they looked like as only ever saw the back of them as they bolted. I do remember them however congragating in the Derry once before a match in the late 70s pre segregation. Needless to say it never turned out well for them. 

12 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Yes, I think the point is that lots of men then wore a tie as a matter of course. 

People wore ties when they travelled somewhere on holiday and plenty, like my grandad, even wore a tie to sit around the house to watch telly.

It's just to do with social change.  It probably did reflect working patterns to a degree, but I doubt if that was the main reason.

I suppose it was a while ago now, but it doesn't feel as wildly distant as it looks in some respects.  

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

A 0-0 draw at Dens Park in February 1990 between Dundee and Celtic, goalkeeper Tom Carson gathers the ball from Dariusz Dzeikanowski, Willie Jamieson in the distance, not sure of the other Dundee player?

IMG_20181123_134917.jpg

'Best guess for this image: rugby league.' 

Christ, even Google Images are taking the piss out of Scottish football.

Scotland's World Cup winning goalie*
7480165.jpg?display=1%26htype=0%26type=responsive-gallery&key=2d90de74d7893e3b134d7c3fc488b622e33449ece0cba209138ae3e008a86a43

*A world cup she won for Italy
Rose Reilly was a striker. Voted the greatest rebel in Scottish football history just this week at a brilliant event at the Storytelling Centre for Scottish Book Week. Beating a strong challenge by Duncan Ferguson, Craig Levein and, um, Brian McClair.

This article is a good tour around her amazing story:

Rose Reilly: the Scottish footballer who won the World Cup as Italy captain

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/17/rose-reilly-scottish-footballer-world-cup-italy-milan?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard