A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

The Shawfield photograph is from 1986, Clyde's last game at that ground against Alloa Athletic.

Another picture from the game:

orphjs.jpg

What was the plan when Clyde vacated Shawfield?

I vaguely remember East Kilbride being touted at some point, but was Cumbernauld established as the destination by the time they left Glasgow?   There was obviously a fair bit of exile in between.  

I've learnt stuff here about Falkirk and St Johnstone leaving their grounds.  What the Hell was it like with Clyde, given the uncertainty and complete uprooting that necessarily followed?  

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I vaguely remember East Kilbride being touted at some point, but was Cumbernauld established as the destination by the time they left Glasgow?   There was obviously a fair bit of exile in between.  

I've learnt stuff here about Falkirk and St Johnstone leaving their grounds.  What the Hell was it like with Clyde, given the uncertainty and complete uprooting that necessarily followed?  

Clyde...plan...I've heard it all now!

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

Andy Willock of Clyde?

Looks like him a bit, unsure though.

58 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

They didn't leave Shawfield voluntarily, but you probably knew that. In my recall, they initially had no plan to go to Cumbernauld, and it was after several years of homelessness that idea was introduced.

They did have the chance to buy Shawfield while still tenants, but couldn't afford the relatively small price tag. In any case, the ground also had a number of maintenance issues which would have added to costs.

A Clyde fan may correct what I've written.

2 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Looks like him a bit, unsure though.

They didn't leave Shawfield voluntarily, but you probably knew that. In my recall, they initially had no plan to go to Cumbernauld, and it was after several years of homelessness that idea was introduced.

They did have the chance to buy Shawfield while still tenants, but couldn't afford the relatively small price tag. In any case, the ground also had a number of maintenance issues which would have added to costs.

A Clyde fan may correct what I've written.

Thanks.

I'm old enough to know about what happened, but am ashamed to say I know next to nothing about it.  Did they ever own Shawfield?

5 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Frank Mcavennie celebrates with goalscorer Tommy Coyne as Celtic beat Airdrie 1-0 at a waterlogged Broomfield in what was Mcavennie's second Celtic 'debut' in 1993.

Cracking strip that by the way, one of my favourite Celtic away shirts of all time.

IMG_20181116_080026.jpg

Some dipstick has actually cut out the Airdrie player from the photo.

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Thanks.

I'm old enough to know about what happened, but am ashamed to say I know next to nothing about it.  Did they ever own Shawfield?

Yes, they were there first and took in tenants for the rent, but had to sell to the tenant in 1935.

8 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Some dipstick has actually cut out the Airdrie player from the photo.

Lovely job, deft and discreet. 

9 hours ago, boomboomyards said:

Looks like someone cut out the celtic No 10 and moved him closer to Mcavennie.

Can see why you think that but you can still see the red sock and part of the leg of the Airdrie player that's been removed.

Edited by 7-2

50 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

1946... Hibs & Hearts fans queing up side by side on Albion Road for the Edinburgh Derby at Easter Road with a crowd of 40k at the game.

image.png.7b1f429f3df308665586b8d4442c412d.png

Which is which? Probably easier to tell us which set of fans is setting the flare off.

PS, this type of picture is a great indication of the times. No need for police or pavement dancing.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian
Afterthoughts.