A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

12 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Clive Allen of Arsenal in action against Alex McLeish in a friendly v Aberdeen at Pittodrie in 1981, interesting trivia fact, Allen never played a competitive game for Arsenal, this and a friendly only a few days previously against Rangers at Ibrox were his only appearances for the Highbury side, he signed that summer from QPR and weeks later was sold to Crystal Palace for a rumoured £1million pound profit, story being that QPR refused to do business with Palace due to some bust up and Arsenal pulled a real sneaky move and made a cool profit for next to nothing.  Doubt you would get away with a stunt like that in todays ultra scrutinised climate. 

IMG_20181115_203010.jpg

I was at that game. If I remember correctly, the league flag, which we had won the previous season, was unfurled that day, and it was also the first match played in front of the newly roofed South Stand.

52 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

Is the number 9 on the left Andy Gray?

From the style of strips , especially the shorts , and the hairstyles I'd say that looks like it was in the early 80's , well after Gray had left the Jutes (assuming that's the team you think are in the photo).The number 6 does look like Narey

Is that Pat Nevin the Clyde number 10 ?

And the ref looks very light on his feet

19 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Clive Allen of Arsenal in action against Alex McLeish in a friendly v Aberdeen at Pittodrie in 1981, interesting trivia fact, Allen never played a competitive game for Arsenal, this and a friendly only a few days previously against Rangers at Ibrox were his only appearances for the Highbury side, he signed that summer from QPR and weeks later was sold to Crystal Palace for a rumoured £1million pound profit, story being that QPR refused to do business with Palace due to some bust up and Arsenal pulled a real sneaky move and made a cool profit for next to nothing.  Doubt you would get away with a stunt like that in todays ultra scrutinised climate. 

Same principle for Gregor Stevens, Motherwell - Leicester - Rangers. 

26 minutes ago, A96 said:

From the style of strips , especially the shorts , and the hairstyles I'd say that looks like it was in the early 80's , well after Gray had left the Jutes (assuming that's the team you think are in the photo).The number 6 does look like Narey

Is that Pat Nevin the Clyde number 10 ?

And the ref looks very light on his feet

it's an Umbro kit I think - outside chance it could be Motherwell's from 84/86.

Same principle for Gregor Stevens, Motherwell - Leicester - Rangers. 
The most famous recent one was Robert Jarni moving from Real Betis to Coventry (which was seen as a huge coup for them, as he'd just finished third with Croatia at the World Cup) then was almost immediately transferred to Real Madrid. I'm sure Coventry made about £300,000 on the deal.

Frank Mcavennie celebrates with goalscorer Tommy Coyne as Celtic beat Airdrie 1-0 at a waterlogged Broomfield in what was Mcavennie's second Celtic 'debut' in 1993.

Cracking strip that by the way, one of my favourite Celtic away shirts of all time.

IMG_20181116_080026.jpg

1 hour ago, A96 said:

Nae arguing with you ......but how the fvkk can you tell it's Umbro ?

Long shot but was based on memory of John Gardiner wearing a goalie kit not unlike that.  Numbers were that style on Umbro kits then too. Plus faintly the tops of the socks might have diamonds on them...pass the magnifying glass!

Meadowbank might be a good shout. 

22 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Tottenham did something very similar to sign Zeki Fryers from Man Utd in 2013.