A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Here's a picture from a fantastic time to be a Bairn. Swashbuckling football, loads of goals and 2 First Division championships in 4 years. Legendary strip too.

Simon Stainrod was signed from Rouen for £100k in the summer after we finished mid-table in the second tier.  He'd had a pretty successful, if mixed, spell in the top 2 tiers of English football, and the signing would be mind-blowing now.

Looking out at the wind and the rain takes me back to 1992 when Paul Wright had conned the ref into awarding a penalty at McDiarmid that brought St Johnstone back into the game at 1-2. From kick off Kevin McAllister nudged the ball forward a foot or so and Stainrod took over...

19911992-falkirks-billy-brown-asst-manager-simon-stainrod-david-holmes-BJH3KN.jpg

Stumbled across this picture recently which is supposedly from the Fairs Cup match between Valencia and Dunfermline.  Curious as to whether or not anyone has more information on this as I wasn't aware Valencia ever played in blue. 

fb39a2a14b40976e5250d3c85bca6120.jpg

4 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

Stumbled across this picture recently which is supposedly from the Fairs Cup match between Valencia and Dunfermline.  Curious as to whether or not anyone has more information on this as I wasn't aware Valencia ever played in blue. 

fb39a2a14b40976e5250d3c85bca6120.jpg

Has to be from either the away leg or the playoff as footage from the home leg shows Valencia playing shorts that were a light colour.

We lost 4-0 away only to win 6-2 at East End. This forced a playoff in Lisbon which Valencia won 1-0.

Edited by DA Baracus

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Has to be from either the away leg or the playoff as footage from the home leg shows Valencia playing shorts that were a light colour.

We lost 4-0 away only to win 6-2 at East End. This forced a playoff in Lisbon which Valencia won 1-0.

From the photo it's obviously not EEP anyway.

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Doubt it's the play-off  as attendance only 2,500 according to Wiki.

Edited by Eednud

Unless Spain were ahead of their times it must surely be the first leg as in those days the home team changed. 'Away' shirts hadn't been invented yet, just change strips for the home team when there was a clash.

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 23:38, paul wright scores said:

There were 15,995 at that game yet in the semi final against Leeds there were 24,831

One of my first games of football ( apart from Clyde) was the Kilmarnock v Leeds game. In those days people had a habit of going to see what they thought might be a good game or an occasion. My dad took me and a neighbour to this. My uncle regularly took me to junior games when Clyde were away at Aberdeen/Dundee etc in the late 60s onwards. Changed days.

37 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

In those days people had a habit of going to see what they thought might be a good game or an occasion. 

Years ago I used to go to loads of games not involving Killie or Arthurlie if neither of them were playing, especially games at Love Street, but haven't been to a senior game not involving Killie in years as I simply won't pay the prices charged nowadays to watch a game not involving a team I don't support.

Years ago I used to go to loads of games not involving Killie or Arthurlie if neither of them were playing, especially games at Love Street, but haven't been to a senior game not involving Killie in years as I simply won't pay the prices charged nowadays to watch a game not involving a team I don't support.

When Ayr were away and I couldn't make it I used to go and watch killie years ago (always in away end obviously) when it was terracing. Loved it supporting the away team.

You are always welcome to Somerset (away end). Every game has been a cracker so far this season, end to end stuff, loads of goals and only £17 to get in [emoji5]

When Ayr were away and I couldn't make it I used to go and watch killie years ago (always in away end obviously) when it was terracing. Loved it supporting the away team.  
You are always welcome to Somerset (away end). Every game has been a cracker so far this season, end to end stuff, loads of goals and only £17 to get in [emoji5]

Nah your alright.

On 03/11/2018 at 11:06, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Here's a picture from a fantastic time to be a Bairn. Swashbuckling football, loads of goals and 2 First Division championships in 4 years. Legendary strip too.

Simon Stainrod was signed from Rouen for £100k in the summer after we finished mid-table in the second tier.  He'd had a pretty successful, if mixed, spell in the top 2 tiers of English football, and the signing would be mind-blowing now.

Looking out at the wind and the rain takes me back to 1992 when Paul Wright had conned the ref into awarding a penalty at McDiarmid that brought St Johnstone back into the game at 1-2. From kick off Kevin McAllister nudged the ball forward a foot or so and Stainrod took over...

19911992-falkirks-billy-brown-asst-manager-simon-stainrod-david-holmes-BJH3KN.jpg

I was at that game, finished 3-2 Falkirk?

We were still sitting down from celebrating getting back into the game and he scored from the halfway line! 

Edited by PauloPerth

I was at that game, finished 3-2 Falkirk?
We were still sitting down from celebrating getting back into the game and he scored from the halfway line! 
Exactly .

The next game was sensational too. 3.2 to SJ at Brockville during which SS scored directly from a corner!

On 02/11/2018 at 17:46, DA Baracus said:

There are still bits of terracing opposite the main stand at ICT. Why don't they let fans use it?

No idea.  The away terrace section was the least used part of the ground before redevelopment too.  Could easily have it open if the away lads want a different view of the game.