A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

On the antipodean theme Scottish Cup champions united had to resort to playing international sides to get a competitive game in 1994.

19941995-pre-season-friendly-dundee-united-v-australian-olympic-tannadice-BJFYX9.jpg

I can't find any pictures but we played in the 1995 Korea Cup, drawing with Costa Rica and losing to South Korea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Korea_Cup

I can't find any pictures but we played in the 1995 Korea Cup, drawing with Costa Rica and losing to South Korea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Korea_Cup

Seems 6 fans travelled. Found this in case you haven’t seen it. https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/what-are-kilmarnock-doing-in-korea-1586313.html

10 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Seems 6 fans travelled. Found this in case you haven’t seen it. https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/what-are-kilmarnock-doing-in-korea-1586313.html

Aye, know a couple of them that travelled.

Would be a hell of a lot more travelling now. Would get 6 from our bus alone haha

On the antipodean theme Scottish Cup champions united had to resort to playing international sides to get a competitive game in 1994.
19941995-pre-season-friendly-dundee-united-v-australian-olympic-tannadice-BJFYX9.thumb.jpg.7901c37a8045bbb43c4324edb669832c.jpg

Was that the Australian Olympic team or such like? Sure I was at that game with my uncle. Got the line ups for that game? Be interesting to see the Australian squad

Paul Ritchie wheels away after making it 3-1 to ICT, followed closely by Ross Tokely, on May 15th, 2004.  A victory that clinched the old First Division title.

Those eagle eyed will notice that ICT had halfway round the away terracing that day.  You can see the fans on the right celebrating, and the St Johnstone fans on the left, well, not.

The last ever match with the terracing too :(.

Image result for caledonian stadium 2002

Edit - Robbo celebrates at full time.

Edited by TheScarf

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Paul Ritchie wheels away after making it 3-1 to ICT, followed closely by Ross Tokely, on May 15th, 2004.  A victory that clinched the old First Division title.

Those eagle eyed will notice that ICT had halfway round the away terracing that day.  You can see the fans on the right celebrating, and the St Johnstone fans on the left, well, not.

The last ever match with the terracing too :(.

Edit - Robbo celebrates at full time.

That would be the last time that ground would feel like a proper stadium then

its a pity its all now behind the goals and in that badly designed open ended Main stand.

Was that the Australian Olympic team or such like? Sure I was at that game with my uncle. Got the line ups for that game? Be interesting to see the Australian squad

It was the Olyroos squad. This is from www.ozfootball.net They also met pre-Sevco winning 1-0, St Mirren 1-1 and Clyde 1-1. Kevin Muscat is probably the most famous name, from this line-up played at leat 1 full international and the Olyroos qualified form the 1996 Olympics.

Played : July 30 Venue : Tannadice Park, Dundee, Scotland
Dundee United
Alan Main, Alex Cleland, Maurice Malpas (Gary Bollan 8), David Hannah (Christian Dailly 46), Gordan Petric, Brian Welsh, Dave Bowman, Billy McKinlay (Andy McLaren 46), Dragutin Ristic (John O'Neil 60), Craig Brewster (Paddy Connolly 60), Jerren Nixon
Goals : Hannah 28, Ristic 44 2 - 2 Australia
Frank Juric, Ross Aloisi, Luke Casserley, Mike Valkanis, Kevin Muscat, Ante Moric, Sean Cranney, Peter Tsekenis, Gabriel Mendez, Brad Hassell (Joe Spiteri 62), Adrian Cervinski
Goals : Cervinski 71, Valkanis 88
Referee : Martin Clark (SCO)
Attendance : 2601

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I was right across road at the GPO

I was at the corner where the traffic lights are, outside what is now the dentist.

I remember my papa, who was a Rangers fan, was there and he must've just been down for the party.  He lifted me over the railings onto the road when the bus came past and got swiftly reprimanded by the policeman for doing so.

Very much like Rangers he is also now deid.

37 minutes ago, Eednud said:

It was the Olyroos squad. This is from www.ozfootball.net They also met pre-Sevco winning 1-0, St Mirren 1-1 and Clyde 1-1. Kevin Muscat is probably the most famous name, from this line-up played at leat 1 full international and the Olyroos qualified form the 1996 Olympics.

Played : July 30 Venue : Tannadice Park, Dundee, Scotland
Dundee United
Alan Main, Alex Cleland, Maurice Malpas (Gary Bollan 8), David Hannah (Christian Dailly 46), Gordan Petric, Brian Welsh, Dave Bowman, Billy McKinlay (Andy McLaren 46), Dragutin Ristic (John O'Neil 60), Craig Brewster (Paddy Connolly 60), Jerren Nixon
Goals : Hannah 28, Ristic 44 2 - 2 Australia
Frank Juric, Ross Aloisi, Luke Casserley, Mike Valkanis, Kevin Muscat, Ante Moric, Sean Cranney, Peter Tsekenis, Gabriel Mendez, Brad Hassell (Joe Spiteri 62), Adrian Cervinski
Goals : Cervinski 71, Valkanis 88
Referee : Martin Clark (SCO)
Attendance : 2601

That united squad getting relegated was fucking wild.

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:44, Flybhoy said:

Joe McBride, formerly of Celtic, Hibs and Motherwell pictured at Ibrox before a game against Hibernian. 

IMG_20180918_144111.jpg

Best Scottish striker of my lifetime , unbelievable scoring record !

I was 11 in '96 so vaguely remember that side.  What was the deal with them that year?  Did they all have one?  On paper, sides like Killie, Hibs, Falkirk must have been weaker Shirley?

17 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I was 11 in '96 so vaguely remember that side.  What was the deal with them that year?  Did they all have one?  On paper, sides like Killie, Hibs, Falkirk must have been weaker Shirley?

I wasn't much older but it was between ourselves and Aberdeen who had a not bad squad too.

It was the United tale of a faltering manager being replaced by someone even worse. Kirkwood's record replacing Golac was disastrous and I maintain Golac would not have taken us down.

Plenty talented but flawed guys like McLaren and Hannah in that squad. Still in the Jim McLean 20 years contracts. I imagine the dressing room was pretty toxic.

Another international/club competition Before Scotland got in on the act United played in the 1979 Kirin Cup

Here they are lined up against Spurs for the final.

In the group stages they beat Burma 4-0, Japan League XI 2-0 and drew 2-2 with San Lorenzo of Argentina.

In the semis they went through on penalties after a 2-2 draw with Fiorentina before losing to Spurs 2-0 in the final.

Kit nerds might notice it's not the usual united adidas effort but an early Reebok kit. A better picture of which you can see on Paul Hegarty seen here celebrating the the League Cup win of 79/80

1979 spurs utd line up.jpg

GL1397043.jpg