A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

8 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

Sebastiano Nela showing how to win with dignity. (European Cup Semi Final, Stadio Olimpico, Rome, 25th April 1984):

8384romadundee_neladitomedio.jpg.1ee9f312216c17499baf05a28271cb64.jpg

Im no fan of wee Jim or Walter Smith but would have loved one of them to have swung round and landed a right hand square on his fucking puss.

Three pictures from 1967 - arguably Scottish football's greatest ever year. The first shows Rugby Park's old east terrace at its best, full to the brim. In the second picture the USSR's premier Alexei Kosygin is introduced to the Killie players and looks absolutely thrilled to be meeting Jackie McInally. In the third picture Killie are in action against Lokomotiv Leipzig in the quarter final of the Fairs Cup. Killie won the game 2-0 and progressed to the semi final of the competition only to be roundly beaten by Don Revie's team. My Papas both told me that their workplace, the Glacier, chartered special trains to go down to Leeds for the first leg at Elland Road. I can't imagine how expensive it would be to do that now!
5a61251eab263_1967eastterrace.jpg.505f023fbb088e721b829cf99f7d8658.jpg
5a61251ef3192_1967JackieMeetsKosygin.jpg.43c9b39c35bc12aad14e2bc9dddddcc1.jpg
5a61251f6678e_1967rugbyparkvleipzig.jpg.a95759967fa6dc47512fec1b1b717abc.jpg

When did the TV gantry come down? I don’t remember it being there in the late 80’s early 90’s.

Three pictures from 1967 - arguably Scottish football's greatest ever year. The first shows Rugby Park's old east terrace at its best, full to the brim. In the second picture the USSR's premier Alexei Kosygin is introduced to the Killie players and looks absolutely thrilled to be meeting Jackie McInally. In the third picture Killie are in action against Lokomotiv Leipzig in the quarter final of the Fairs Cup. Killie won the game 2-0 and progressed to the semi final of the competition only to be roundly beaten by Don Revie's team. My Papas both told me that their workplace, the Glacier, chartered special trains to go down to Leeds for the first leg at Elland Road. I can't imagine how expensive it would be to do that now!
5a61251eab263_1967eastterrace.jpg.505f023fbb088e721b829cf99f7d8658.jpg
5a61251ef3192_1967JackieMeetsKosygin.jpg.43c9b39c35bc12aad14e2bc9dddddcc1.jpg
5a61251f6678e_1967rugbyparkvleipzig.jpg.a95759967fa6dc47512fec1b1b717abc.jpg

Andy thanks for the brilliant pictures. As I was at both games they brought back happy memories. One correction though. It's Jackie McGrory shaking Kosygin's hand not Jackie McInally. Your namesake Andy King is the Killie player facing the camera. The legend that was Frank Beattie is the furthest away Killie player and next to him is goalie Bobby Ferguson. Nearest to camera with head bowed is the said Jackie McInally.

One unusual fact about that Killie v Rangers game is that the attendance at Rugby Park (almost 32000) was 3000 more than the corresponding league match at Ibrox.

My most vivid memory of the Leipzig game is that just like in the league decider at Tynecastle 2 years earlier Bobby Ferguson made a brilliant late save to ensure a famous Killie win.

As for the Leeds game my abiding memory is that Leeds were a bunch of hatchet men moreso than any team I've seen at Rugby Park before or since. Sad thing is they didn't have play that way as they were packed with world class players.

Graeme Souness is sent off on his Rangers debut at Easter Road in 1986 for trying to amputate George McCluskey's right leg, a 21 man brawl ensued, only Alan Rough in the Hibs goal didnt take part in the ensuing melee, Alan Sneddon and Mickey Weir are the other Hibees in the picture on a day when the home side won 2-1.

ofs_mccluskey_souness_090-2.jpg

10 minutes ago, killiejim said:

One unusual fact about that Killie v Rangers game is that the attendance at Rugby Park (almost 32000) was 3000 more than the corresponding league match at Ibrox.

The Ayrshire **** came out in force that day then. 

Photos are great - my father was at both these games too.  Unfortunately I was too young to get to them  

The first European game I saw was the game against F C Zurich in 1969 which we won 3-1 on the night and 3-2 on aggregate. 

8 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Graeme Souness is sent off on his Rangers debut at Easter Road in 1986 for trying to amputate George McCluskey's right leg, a 21 man brawl ensued, only Alan Rough in the Hibs goal didnt take part in the ensuing melee, Alan Sneddon and Mickey Weir are the other Hibees in the picture on a day when the home side won 2-1.

Confirming that Souness was a snidey, slimy wee coward

Im no fan of wee Jim or Walter Smith but would have loved one of them to have swung round and landed a right hand square on his fucking puss.

To be fair the players, fans and officials of Roma were just raging at being short changed- they thought they were playing Dundee's big team- not one that until then had spent most of their existence in the diddy leagues...

5a61ae4789abd_2018-01-192008_34_12.thumb.jpg.da36919cd8ec9fc84cf2c660aca04060.jpg

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Rod Petrie helping Alan Sneddon lift GMcC off the pitch?

12 hours ago, killiejim said:

Andy thanks for the brilliant pictures. As I was at both games they brought back happy memories. One correction though. It's Jackie McGrory shaking Kosygin's hand not Jackie McInally. Your namesake Andy King is the Killie player facing the camera. The legend that was Frank Beattie is the furthest away Killie player and next to him is goalie Bobby Ferguson. Nearest to camera with head bowed is the said Jackie McInally.

My most vivid memory of the Leipzig game is that just like in the league decider at Tynecastle 2 years earlier Bobby Ferguson made a brilliant late save to ensure a famous Killie win.

As for the Leeds game my abiding memory is that Leeds were a bunch of hatchet men moreso than any team I've seen at Rugby Park before or since. Sad thing is they didn't have play that way as they were packed with world class players.

Cheers for the clarification Jim - my inner historian is kicking himself that he didn't get that right! I heard similar from many who went to both the Leeds games and said that the nickname "dirty Leeds" was very apt that night. 

13 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Belgian keeper Jean Marie Pfaff is beaten by an Ian Ferguson free kick as Bayern Munich lose 1-0 to Hearts at Tynecastle in 1989, the Germans won the return 2-0 in the UEFA cup quarter finals....

Hearts v Bayern Munich first leg UEFA Cup 1989 1-0 to Hearts.jpg

Think it was Raimond Aumann in goal rather than Pfaff.

5 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

A cup match (I've no idea which) between Cowdenbeath and Dunfermline in 1920. Dunfermline played in hoops between 1919 and 1921.

Referee cutting about in a suit jacket, shirt and tie with his shorts on. Proper.

Amazing footage! What it must have been like then to witness such a spectacle.

1920 - This happens. Things are excellent. Cowdenbeath will surely always be brilliant

1999 - This happens

31 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Amazing footage! What it must have been like then to witness such a spectacle.

1920 - This happens. Things are excellent. Cowdenbeath will surely always be brilliant

1999 - This happens

Presuming the adjacent coal bing pictured at the start is the same one which, after WWII, they started to build-up as part of plans to turn Central Park into an 80,000 capacity super stadium...

7 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

A cup match (I've no idea which) between Cowdenbeath and Dunfermline in 1920. Dunfermline played in hoops between 1919 and 1921.

Referee cutting about in a suit jacket, shirt and tie with his shorts on. Proper.

That's brilliant.  Love the bit with all the young boys running into view of the camera.

A crowd of 18,000 which is more than currently stay in Cowdenbeath and a lot more than they get in a full season combined now.   

It must have been great going to watch football in these days as the crowds were amazing. 

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Presuming the adjacent coal bing pictured at the start is the same one which, after WWII, they started to build-up as part of plans to turn Central Park into an 80,000 capacity super stadium...

It sounds absolutely ludicrous to think that now but I did hear about that plan before. Just think, we could have had a potential challenger to the national stadium contenders in the Chicago of Fife!

I still find it amazing that Cowdenbeath was ever compared to Chicago. Definitely time to resurrect this patter.

Bobby Murdoch remonstrates with a pre knighthood Alex Ferguson after a robust 'challenge' on Billy McNeil in the 1969 Scottish Cup final.

This is closer than Fergie got to McNeil than in the 2nd minute when he failed to pick him up at a corner and Caesar headed Celtic into the lead in what was to prove an embarrassingly easy 4-0 win, sealing the treble.

Legend has it Rangers manager Davy White was so incensed at Ferguson that day it sealed him being bombed out the door at Ibrox, this was his final game for Rangers, it's believed he held such a grudge over being made the scapegoat that day he took more pleasure in horsing the them in subsequent years as a manager than he did any other club, despite being a bluenose as a boy brought up in the shadows of Ibrox in Govan.

BobbyScareSirAwex.jpg

I know he played for Falkirk, but it was well before my time.

What type of player was Fergie? (No obvious "dirty bassa" comments please)

Surely not just an elbows everywhere, rumble 'em up sort. Could he actually play? Who in modern times would he be similar to?