A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

16 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

One of the final games for the Thirds at Cathkin Park, v Berwick Rangers in 1966...

8D0113CE-BE72-4C3D-AAD3-6642AAC40DB2.jpe

Saturday 8th October 1966
Third Lanark 3-0 Berwick Rangers
Attendance: 1,100

Thereafter their only home crowd which broke 1,000 was v Raith in January.

Neither did I, tbh, but it doesn't really look like a Dunfermline strip to me either. Although it is 50 years ago, so my memory maybe isn't 100%...
Could be Morton?
My first thought was it was a classic 1968 Cup Winning Dunfermline kit, black candy stripes with the black and white hopped collar.

18 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

Cracking picture, I love those old posed shots! Is that the WDE in the background? If so when did it get changed?

From Wiki, so don't know if it is 100% correct - 

The area behind the western goal is known as the Wee Dublin end, which contains non-backed bench seating.  This was converted from the old terracing in 1978, when Morton were promoted to the Premier Division. It is known as the Wee Dublin end because the Irish immigrant population of Greenock was once housed behind that stand.

20 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

aberdeen_1967-1968.gif 1967/68,although the socks in the photo are different.

11 hours ago, Eednud said:

Must be 68/69 then! I remember those games away to Dunfermline and home to Hibs (it was 1-5 at half time) - I was at both! (Doesn't mention our 2-0 over St Mirren who had started off in great form after promotion and had beaten Rangers 1-0 the week before in front of a massive crowd at Love Street, although it mentions the home draw with Arbroath which occurred on the same day as Saints win.)

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I was thinking that, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the owners/board had fiddled the attendance and took some of the cash for themselves, given how shambolic the club was in its last few years. A crying shame that they went to the wall.

4 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the owners/board had fiddled the attendance and took some of the cash for themselves, given how shambolic the club was in its last few years. A crying shame that they went to the wall.

I think that was the generally accepted story of the last couple of seasons.

3 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

There was a documentary about the demise of Third Lanark on Alba recently (although I believe it was a repeat) which was both very interesting but equally sad at how the club was destroyed through one man's vindictiveness. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the crowds were being fiddled.

11 hours ago, Eednud said:

That article states The Dons didn't secure top flight status until April 1969. While that may be mathematically correct, I always felt our win over Falkirk in Decemeber meant we wouldn't be relegated, albeit never really getting away from the nether regions. Arbroath (despite our generous donation of 3 points to our nearest neighbours) were always stranded at the bottom and Falkirk had an even more dreadful season than we did. The benefits of an 18 team top flight set up! (Raith Rovers may have been the other make weights, finishing between The Dons and The Bairns.)

20 hours ago, 7-2 said:

dunfermline athletic 1964-68

Dunfermline played in this combination a lot in the 60's according the historical site. I'd go with them.

See the source image
Whenever I picture the 1960's Dunfermline sides, this is what comes into mind. (I know it's Newcastle United, but that is the Pars strip I envisage.)

However, this is a photo of the cup winning team celebrating after beating Hearts, so it's probably Dunfermline.

See the source image

Edited by Jacksgranda

35 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

A less than busy Hampden for Scotland v Northern Ireland sometime in the 1960's.

FB_IMG_1553511332311.jpg

As has been said a few times back in this thread, it’s 1969 and one of the first and few times that all Home Internationals were shown live on TV in a week. It was dreadful weather, which didn’t help either.

On 24/03/2019 at 13:52, Jacksgranda said:

Bobby Clark wouldn't have been playing centre half in 1969/70.

ETA: Although according to the team sheet he was! Don't remember The Dons having numbers on the front in 1969/70, though.

Definitely not 1969/70, no matter what it says. Almost certainly 68/69.

4 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

A less than busy Hampden for Scotland v Northern Ireland sometime in the 1960's.

FB_IMG_1553511332311.jpg

looking into my crystal ball I could be posting in June "The SFA would have killed for a crowd like that against Cyprus..."