A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

In my time I can only remember 2 midweek afternoon midweek afternoon kick offs, both in early 70s.

Scottish Cup replay Alloa v Airdrie and Ballymena v Airdrie at Stranraer in the Texaco Cup. Neutral ground due the The Failed Statelet's inhabitants bomby activity. Airdrie won both. My Dad wouldn't let me off school to go. I've  seen pictures of the Ballymena game but not Alloa.

Glasgow Cup action from Parkhead towards the end of 1963-64:

Highlights from the 1967 United Soccer Association Championship Bowl pitting Los Angeles Wolves v Washington Whips Wolverhampton Wanderers 6-5 Aberdeen (aet) at LA Coliseum.

It was "rated by many observers as the greatest soccer game ever seen anywhere"...

7 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

In my time I can only remember 2 midweek afternoon midweek afternoon kick offs, both in early 70s.

Scottish Cup replay Alloa v Airdrie and Ballymena v Airdrie at Stranraer in the Texaco Cup. Neutral ground due the The Failed Statelet's inhabitants bomby activity. Airdrie won both. My Dad wouldn't let me off school to go. I've  seen pictures of the Ballymena game but not Alloa.

Killie played Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill in the League Cup final in a midweek game in October 1973 which kicked off early due to the 3 day week hitting power supplies. 

1 minute ago, paul wright scores said:

Killie played Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill in the League Cup final in a midweek game in October 1973 which kicked off early due to the 3 day week hitting power supplies. 

Aye, telly cut off about 8 o'clock. This mob don't know their born. ( I doubt you mean the final)

Scottish Cup ties at non-league teams without floodlights are still occasionally played on midweek afternoons, after they've used-up 2 Saturdays (or 1 Saturday from R4 onward).

I think the most recent was Girvan v Golspie a few years ago and the last involving a league team would be Beith v Airdrie in 2010-11.

During the energy and productivity crises which followed the bad winter of 1947 midweek football was banned in late February. Scottish Cup ties were played to sudden death.

Aberdeen won at Dundee in QF after 129 minutes (i.e. in 3rd half of extra-time). Hibs beat Motherwell in SF after 142 minutes (i.e. in 4th half of extra-time).

Hibs beat Airdrie in League Cup QF 2nd leg after 125 minutes (i.e. in 3rd half of extra-time). Note however that some newspapers report that each period of extra-time lasted 10 minutes and they scored on 115 minutes, or even 135 minutes (i.e. midway through 5th half of extra-time).

Edited by HibeeJibee

31 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Aye, telly cut off about 8 o'clock. This mob don't know their born. ( I doubt you mean the final)

I remember we had candles for lights as there was no electricity.   I'd forgotten the TV channels also went off on the other days when we had power to conserve electricity. 

It was the quarter final of the league cup and we played them again 3 weeks later in the league, which was the last time/season we played them at Cliftonhill, so I've still never seen Killie play them away from home.   

An aside, I know, but I was at the Airdrie v Notts. Forest game at Broomfield in the Texaco Cup in Sept. 1970 - the first senior match, certainly in the UK, to be settled by a penalty kick shoot-out.

1 minute ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:
1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

An aside, I know, but I was at the Airdrie v Notts. Forest game at Broomfield in the Texaco Cup in Sept. 1970 - the first senior match, certainly in the UK, to be settled by a penalty kick shoot-out.

It wasn't... e.g. the first penalty shootout at top level in England was on Wednesday 5th August 1970, when Hull City v Manchester United finished drawn in the Semi-Final of the Watney Cup (their Drybrough Cup).

Sorry.

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

19 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

I remember we had candles for lights as there was no electricity.   I'd forgotten the TV channels also went off on the other days when we had power to conserve electricity. 

It was the quarter final of the league cup and we played them again 3 weeks later in the league, which was the last time/season we played them at Cliftonhill, so I've still never seen Killie play them away from home

I remember you coming second in the League. The 0-0 draw at Broomfield was on the telly.

9 minutes ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

I was going to league games by then, but my Dad dingied me for such big games. I suspect he had a bijou swallyette on these occasions. I had moaned enough to get to the home Texaco games the next season.

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I remember you coming second in the League. The 0-0 draw at Broomfield was on the telly.

That's the first season I remember well going to loads of games, and I vaguely remember that game being on the telly. 

After the 0-0 game we won 11 out of 13 matches, including 10 in a row to get 2nd place ahead of Hamilton, and scored a barrowload of goals, primarily through Eddie Morrison and Ian Fleming.  

Just now, paul wright scores said:

That's the first season I remember well going to loads of games, and I vaguely remember that game being on the telly. 

After the 0-0 game we won 11 out of 13 matches, including 10 in a row to get 2nd place ahead of Hamilton, and scored a barrowload of goals, primarily through Eddie Morrison and Ian Fleming.  

But not 102 league goals. Thanks for playing anyway champ.

Here's one from the 75 semi final. The caption said Whiteford, but it's John Menzies.

24d2ede92d6d93690a450c51ba3c59de.jpg

42 minutes ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

images (20).jpeg

It wasn't... e.g. the first penalty shootout at top level in England was on Wednesday 5th August 1970, when Hull City v Manchester United finished drawn in the Semi-Final of the Watney Cup (their Drybrough Cup).

Sorry.
Ach, I stand corrected : should have Googled. I was a wee boy and must have picked up it up wrongly. First in Scotland , then, or are you going to burst that bubble too? Next you'll be telling me we were effectively playing ten men for most of the game at Wembley in 1967.....

It looks to me like it would be the first to occur in Scotland, unless at a local cup-tie early in the season.

It is worth saying Airdrie was the scene of the world's first penalty kick - which occurred in an Airdrie Charity Cup tie against Royal Albert on 6th June 1891; they had come into force at the start of June:

https://www.sundaypost.com/sport/football/football-pitch-in-airdrie-celebrates-125th-anniversary-of-worlds-first-penalty/

I'm pretty sure the first goal scored directly from a corner was at St Bernards btw.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

It looks to me like it would be the first to occur in Scotland, unless at a local cup-tie early in the season.

It is worth saying Airdrie was the scene of the world's first penalty kick - which occurred in an Airdrie Charity Cup tie against Royal Albert on 6th June 1891; they had come into force at the start of June:

https://www.sundaypost.com/sport/football/football-pitch-in-airdrie-celebrates-125th-anniversary-of-worlds-first-penalty/

I'm pretty sure the first goal scored directly from a corner was at St Bernards btw.

lying Sunday Post b*****ds- somewhere I've got a cutting from the Sunday Post c.1990 saying the first penalty kick was at Bank Park during a Leith Athletic game. 

6 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

st mirren played stranraer in a cup replay at love street on a tues afternoon for the same reason.stranraer won 3-2.

12 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I’m sure that I remember going to a Wednesday afternoon League Cup second leg match at Pittodrie against Celtic in late 1973. Because I was at Uni at the time, I was able to go along.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I’m sure that I remember going to a Wednesday afternoon League Cup second leg match at Pittodrie against Celtic in late 1973. Because I was at Uni at the time, I was able to go along.

Old Firm semi at Hampden in December (I was at Uni too). I’m sure the lights were on half power or something. It was a very dark, dreich day as well. The same year that Dundee won it.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Remember it being a draw and sitting on wooden benches in the Beach End.

1-45 pm kick off?