A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

An old image of the Merkland Road end of a packed Pittodrie for Aberdeen v Hibs in 1947 I seen on Twitter earlier getting that retrospective colour treatment thing.

IMG_20190301_225245.jpg

That pitch is in better nick than the one we play on at the moment...

23 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

An old image of the Merkland Road end of a packed Pittodrie for Aberdeen v Hibs in 1947 I seen on Twitter earlier getting that retrospective colour treatment thing.

IMG_20190301_225245.jpg

I love these pictures of authorities tolerating dozens of people putting themselves in situations that genuinely endanger their lives, to get a decent view.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I love these pictures of authorities tolerating dozens of people putting themselves in situations that genuinely endanger their lives, to get a decent view.

As the photo was taken in 1947, considering a few years earlier they would have been in danger of being blown up by Luftwaffe bombs if they were civilians and quite a few of that crowd would have been demobbed squaddies who faced greater danger than falling off the roof of the Pittodrie shed you can understand why the authorities were perhaps a bit laxer than today. 

Two greats of the Scottish game. Gordon Smith, won league titles with Hins, Hearts & Dundee and Jim Baxter. This must be from the 1962/63 Scottish Cup Quarter Final tie at Dens which finished 1-1 as both sides are in their change strips which was normal for colour clash in the Cup back then. 36,839 at Dens and 82,000 saw Dundee lose the replay 2-3 4 days later. I’m assuming Gordon Smith played in the European Cup for all 3 sides he won the League with. If so he must have been the first Scottish player or even the first player to do so.

3D952E59-FC98-4128-A746-E501CDB233EF.jpeg

Two greats of the Scottish game. Gordon Smith, won league titles with Hins, Hearts & Dundee and Jim Baxter. This must be from the 1962/63 Scottish Cup Quarter Final tie at Dens which finished 1-1 as both sides are in their change strips which was normal for colour clash in the Cup back then. 36,839 at Dens and 82,000 saw Dundee lose the replay 2-3 4 days later. I’m assuming Gordon Smith played in the European Cup for all 3 sides he won the League with. If so he must have been the first Scottish player or even the first player to do so.

3D952E59-FC98-4128-A746-E501CDB233EF.jpeg.b3919f4c9f673a47e3ebfd7813916405.jpeg

That must be the south side of Dens in the background is it?

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

As the photo was taken in 1947, considering a few years earlier they would have been in danger of being blown up by Luftwaffe bombs if they were civilians and quite a few of that crowd would have been demobbed squaddies who faced greater danger than falling off the roof of the Pittodrie shed you can understand why the authorities were perhaps a bit laxer than today. 

Indeed, but as other pictures on this thread have established, the lax approach stretched way, way beyond the aftermath of the war.  There are photographs from the 1980s of people perching half way up floodlights pylons.  That's before we even consider the new hazards that got introduced, such as putting fans in cages.

Edited by Monkey Tennis