A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 1/8/2019 at 20:01, Flybhoy said:

Motherwell v Hearts from 1981, back in the days when change kits were rarely needed unless an obvious clash .

IMG_20190108_195828.jpg

On 1/8/2019 at 20:35, Flybhoy said:

You may be right, just saw it on a Scottish Football nostalgia twitter feed so pinched it for here, were Hearts not in the old First Division (now the championship) season 80/81 anyway?

On 1/8/2019 at 20:39, LincolnHearts said:

Sure we had a car crash season 80/81 in the top flight when Bobby Moncur was manager. 81/82 begun under Tony Ford before he got emptied and Doddie took over as player manager.

Motherwell v Hearts League Cup group game, lost 2-1 but redeemed ourselves at Tynecastle with a 1-0 win, we then beat St.Mirren in the Quarter Finals then got beat from Rangers in the Semi Finals, my very first trip to the new look Ibrox.

There was a lot of trouble at this game as was the pre season friendly against Leeds United and the Tom Hart Memorial game against Hibs all within a month, my parents were seriously considering not allowing me to go to any more games due to all the bother.

The season before, 81/82 Motherwell romped the First Division with Kilmarnock going up with them and Hearts stayed down. Season 1980/81 was Hearts' worst ever season in history.

On 1/9/2019 at 21:45, Monkey Tennis said:

Is the difference between the two kits on the left, really just that the later one says 'umbro' under the umbro logo.

Spot on, i know the guy who informed the site of this difference, the guy was happy with the change as he stated it's small things like that that help queries with times and dates etc.

27 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Even twenty odd years after he left, Paul Elliott is still the best centre half i've seen plating for Celtic, here he is having flattened Mark Hateley in 1990.

IMG_20190117_220945.jpg

I think that may be a bit of an exaggeration!

5c426d21654ce_leithathletic1930.jpg.9a1165f31a9d5f284a18fc47a4399338.jpg

I think that is Marine Gardens in the background as Leith Athletic were playing there at the time this team photo was taken. The Marine Gardens were first established pre First World War as a leisure complex at the West end of Portobello. There was a dance hall, roller skating rink, rollercoster etc and even a Somali village containing some poor sods from East Africa for visitors to gawp at- The Edwardian era was not politically correct. 

Marine Gardens were used as a troop billet during the First World War and after the war's end a stadium was laid out. This hosted speedway and was the home of Leith Athletic from the late 1920s until 1935 and Edinburgh City for a couple of season during the 1930s. Apparently, being next to the Forth, it was one of the coldest grounds in Scotland..

After the Second World War the ground was levelled to become the Seafield Road Bus Garage which remains on the site to this day.  

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Davie Dodds....the elephant man...!!!

A popular chant on the terraces in the 1980's, good player though to be fair, here he is after scoring for Dundee United in 1981.

IMG_20190120_144212.jpg

Is the other player Captain Darling from Blackadder? MEHHH! 

5c44bc8486442_captaindarling.jpg.b4a99f5bab39d7d7ad0a6a21708047da.jpg

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Is the other player Captain Darling from Blackadder? MEHHH! 

5c44bc8486442_captaindarling.jpg.b4a99f5bab39d7d7ad0a6a21708047da.jpg

Iain Phillip ex Dundee then Crystal Palace then back to Dundee before heading over the troad. Won 3 League Cup medals, 1 with Dundee, 2 with United.

19 hours ago, Eednud said:

Iain Phillip ex Dundee then Crystal Palace then back to Dundee before heading over the troad. Won 3 League Cup medals, 1 with Dundee, 2 with United.

also played with Arbroath IIRC where he won bugger all IIRC.