A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

6 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Played for Notts Forest in the European Cup Final.

Won two winners' medals (unused sub once). Plus two English League First Division titles. And other honours.

Edited by Jacksgranda

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not sure this would have been the case - teams don't typically get punished for a single player failing a drugs test. Argentina didn't lose the points from the Greece game when Maradona was sent home in 1994 and Russia's play-off win against Wales for Euro 2004 wasn't overturned because the guy failed a test.

I seem to remember that back in 1978, it was said that if Scotland had won or drawn the match, they would have lost these points. I may be wrong of course.

8 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

Here's another, during his third, and final spell at Ayr. Up until now my favourite time supporting Ayr.

GL864317.jpg

Who are the players mate? look familiar. Edit, got Henry Templeton.

Edited by LincolnHearts

Who are the players mate? look familiar. Edit, got Henry Templeton.
Wee Henry and Judas John Sludden. Wanted to leave Ayr because it was too far away from his home to travel then joins killie the next week if I remember right.

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I seem to remember that back in 1978, it was said that if Scotland had won or drawn the match, they would have lost these points. I may be wrong of course.

I think it's certainly been said subsequently, and I'd pretty much just accepted it as fact.  Other cases would however suggest that it's not.

21 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Won two winners' medals (unused sub once). Plus two English League First Division titles. And other honours.

Was the other title with Clough at Derby?  He did have certain unsung favourites.  John McGovern was another.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Was the other one with Clough at Derby?  He did have certain unsung favourites.  John McGovern was another.

It was. O'Hare and McGovern followed Clough from Derby to Leeds to Forest

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Was O'Hare at Leeds too?  I didn't know that bit.

I was first aware of him for getting tripped probably outside the box for the penalty that won Forest the League Cup against Liverpool.  Chris Woods starred for Forest in goals as an eighteen year old.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Was O'Hare at Leeds too?  I didn't know that bit.

Aye - just checked Wikipedia - 

He moved to Derby County for £20,000 in 1967. There was initial criticism of him as he was seen as a large but slow forward. However the management team of Brian Clough persisted with him and in his second season he justified his fee. He establish a strike partnership with Kevin Hector as they led Derby to the 1971-72 Football League First Division title.

At Derby he won thirteen caps for the Scotland national team, scoring five goals.

O'Hare followed Clough from Derby to Leeds United in 1974 along with John McGovern. However Clough left Leeds after only 44 days in the job.

O'Hare and McGovern reunited with Clough at Nottingham Forest in February 1975 for a combined £130,000 fee.[1] Forest were promoted to the top flight at the end of the 1976-77 season. In their first season back up Forest won the league by seven points (two for a win). Forest won the 1979 European Cup Final the season after.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think it's certainly been said subsequently, and I'd pretty much just accepted it as fact.  Other cases would however suggest that it's not.

Tbf, the fact that it wasn't the case in 1994 doesn't rule out that it was the case in 1978. Drug use in sport wasn't as well known, understood or at least well talked about in the 70's as it was in the 90's, so it's conceivable that an overturning of the result would have happened. 

Obviously it would have been nice if we'd managed to throw the game that way instead of getting a pumping. 

10 hours ago, velo army said:

Tbf, the fact that it wasn't the case in 1994 doesn't rule out that it was the case in 1978. Drug use in sport wasn't as well known, understood or at least well talked about in the 70's as it was in the 90's, so it's conceivable that an overturning of the result would have happened. 

Obviously it would have been nice if we'd managed to throw the game that way instead of getting a pumping. 

That's true, but it might have equally been that the newness of the phenomenon would have seen a more lenient penalty, rather than a harsher one.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1992 European Championships.

Whilst we're in the subject of Scotland being shit, here's the rare case where they were actually pretty damn good.

Firstly, to qualify was one of our best achievements - only 8 teams made the finals back then and, despite the apathy after our Italia 90 failure, we were one of them.

Obviously, we got drawn in the group of death. Germany (world champions), Holland (European champions) and the CIS who, whilst still the Soviet Union, had lost the previous Euro final to Holland.

So we had no chance, only to produce three excellent performances (which is pretty damn unusual for a Scotland side).

We were unlucky in losing 1-0 to Holland in our first game to a late Berkamp goal. Then we proceeded to play even better against Germany. 

We could've taken the lead about three times before the Germans scored a scrappy opener. In particular, one pass from Paul McStay deserves to be remembered as one of the most fantastic bits of genius ever produced by Scotland - he left 5 Germans standing still whilst he put Gary McAllister through on goal. Sadly, the bald twat sclaffed it straight at the keeper, and everyone forgot about it. A freak deflected cross gave them a 2-0 win.  We were robbed.

The CIS only needed to beat us in the last game to qualify but Scotland thumped them 3-0 (Brian McClair even scored) to finish third in the group. The CIS promptly crumbled as an international force and were last seen sponsoring the Scottish league cup about 15 years ago.

images.jpeg

On 01/01/2019 at 08:37, resk said:
On 31/12/2018 at 23:12, Eednud said:
Here you go. Given there is snow behind the goals this could be the New Years day Aberdeen v Dundee game from 1963. Looking through "They Wore The Dark Blue" makes me sure it is. That's Ian Ure challenging and Bert Slater in goal and think the other Dundee player is George Ryden with the great Charlie Cooke, a Dundee player the following season. to his right.  Finished 1-0 Aberdeen  (Winchester) in front of 15,000 fans. Dons no. 11 is Lewis Thom according to the line-up on AFC Heritage site, he also followed the road and the miles the next season but to United. No idea who the player beside Ian Ure is.
Happy New Year.
42509bf120a96e1ccca980a6f6505472.jpg&key=05e57ccf4ac17fb1eaa431b3951458c8b183703b51632a656e32c7509f7f14f9

Great pic. Looks like Dundee defending a corner as there's a player on the post and the ref is standing on the goal line.

I'll take an educated guess that it's Sir Robert Cox standing on the post. Got to love big Yogi, long sleeved shirts for all the others plus Slater has tracksuit bottoms on but the big fella is in short sleeves. Despite the fact that he was a cultured defender he was still tough as nails

O’Hare was a cracking wee player, well documented that both he and McGovern didn’t settle at Leeds as Clough brought them in. With the benefit of hindsight, how wrong did it turn out for the Yorkshire club?