A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

14 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Colin Jackson?

That's right. As I never tire of saying, he was known as The Caramel Wafer, because he was Gray & Dunn.  Apologies once again to the younger posters who won't have a clue what this means, and to the older posters who I hope will have forgotten anyway. He was from Furryboots City.

Either 76-77  (1-1) or 77-8 (2-5) as all 4 played in both fixtures.

Edited by The Mantis

The Cup was withheld that year, wasn't it?
It was. Story goes that the riot was caused not only by the prospect of a 2nd replay but also rumours of match fixing to increase ticket revenue. Both Celtic & Rangers requested the 2nd replay not to be played resulting in the SFA witholding the cup. Another bit of fallout was Queen's Park were compensated for damages with £500 from the SFA & £150 each from Celtic & Rangers.

On 12/16/2018 at 06:44, 7-2 said:

Image result for david johnston scotland rugby

A quick check shows he went to rugby playing George Watson's, captained Scottish Schoolboys at rugby while also playing football for Hutchy Vale Boys Club. Turned pro with Hearts and had one first team appearance before leaving. Went back to rugby, got 27 caps and scored the winning try v England when Scotland won the 1984 Grand Slam.  At the same time studied for a law degree and became a solicitor.  His wife will obviously be a stunner.  I hate him. 

'Men you have a big boy crush on' thread for this pish

1 minute ago, Flybhoy said:

Rangers Kai Johanssen in action at Raith Rovers sometime in the late 1960's, what was to become the 'Railway Stand' at Starks Park is a small enclosure in the background of the picture  

FB_IMG_1545259032866.jpg

A wee bit of simulation from old Kai there.

6 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Packie Bonner celebrating the 1-0 victory over Rangers (RIP) in the 1989 Scottish Cup Final, Mark McGhee and Peter Grant also look rather pleased. The old main stand at Hampden in the background. 

IMG_20181220_205217.jpg

Wonder if he remembers that?

56 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
On 18/12/2018 at 17:31, paulbrucerick said:
A clearer picture of Somerset with the tenements on Tryfield Place. No roof on the Somerset Road End either.
FB_IMG_1545065848969.thumb.jpg.6fd19b5a20bfd8705935367ab1736519.jpg

Was the Somerset Road End the home end back then too? Seems odd to have the away end covered but not the home end if it was. If not, when did it change?

Pre segregation I think the Railway End was deemed the traditional home end. The roof on the SRE has been there since I started going, as has the seggie fence.  Perhaps someone  of an earlier vintage can add some more info, but I think the roof went on the SRE in the early seventies.

9 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

Pre segregation I think the Railway End was deemed the traditional home end. The roof on the SRE has been there since I started going, as has the seggie fence.  Perhaps someone  of an earlier vintage can add some more info, but I think the roof went on the SRE in the early seventies.

According to my Bible (Simon Inglis, Football Grounds of Britain) the SRE was covered in 1971, costing £12000, and the lights date from 1970. Neither were there on my first visit, which was the record crowd of 25225 in 1969. The Railway End cover dates from 1933.