A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

33 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Frank McDougall giving a right GIRFUY to Craig Patterson.

Of course ref Brian McGinlay awarded Rangers (1872) a goal in the last minute of ET in the replay which didn't cross the line.

May he be spit roasted in hell.

Whatever happened to Craig Patterson? I thought he was one of the more calm and  measured Sportsound pundits. Too old I guess now? Gordon Smith was also pretty good before his ill advised spell at trying to be a football administrator. 

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Whatever happened to Craig Patterson? I thought he was one of the more calm and  measured Sportsound pundits. Too old I guess now? Gordon Smith was also pretty good before his ill advised spell at trying to be a football administrator. 

Smith was and is hopeless. He is on Sevco TV nowadays.

9 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Aye, the right hand side of the main stand. Now you mention it, I do remember you pass under the stand there. Looks like maybe at some point in the past the stand went right down to the front there. Just that I see in that pic, the front bit of stand is missing, but thought the houses were built after that. 

Before the ground was redeveloped the enclosure in front of the main stand went as far along as it could before it reached the bit you passed under next to the said stand. 

Once it was redeveloped I genuinely can no longer remember what happened and whether the stand came right down to the front in that area. 

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

That wee Johnny Walker cover was some noise amplifier.

Strange that it was the away end at that time.

When I first started going in the 60s and up until the late 70s that's where I stood with my father and friends.  It wasn't the away end until the fence went in in the early 80s. 

6 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

You've probably answered your own question.

He was probably dropped because he was calm and measured. 

Read an obituary about Ron Lord who was Australia’s goalie in the 1950’s. He took over from Norman Conquest after Australia lost 1-13 and 0-17 to an England XI in 1951. Seemed to have improved things as they only lost 1-4, 1-6 and 0-5 in the other “Tests”. Found links to some programmes on ozfootball.net and discovered a Scottish player called Tom Jack ex Third Lanark and Dunfermline Athletic played in a few of the games against England and later on twice captained Australia. He is in the picture below probably playing for the Victoria against England in one of two games at the MCG as the Australia v England game in Melbourne was at Richmond Cricket Ground. Jackie Sewell had been transferred from Notts County to Sheffield Wednesday earlier that year for a record English transfer fee of £34,500. Tom Jack’s pen picture is from the game v England in Brisbane and the Scottish “ups and downs” from the game in Adelaide.

IMG_2003.jpeg

IMG_2006.png

IMG_2005.jpeg

Opening of the main stand at Ayr United's Somerset Park in September 1924.

20240417_232629.thumb.jpg.08f79607ccc7661d1eac14cbd64d4312.jpg

The story goes that it was paid for by selling Neil McBain to Manchester Utd for a record £4,600 (some sources state £6000) a couple years earlier.

Ayr United wore hooped shirts from the time of formation until the late 30's. In our centenary year, 2010, hoops made a return.

Edited by AUcal

IMG_9972.jpeg.cd27d0cb2b48156e63db2e2887edc0af.jpeg
Aberdeen had a magnificent season in 1970/71… but dropped ‘daft points’ after the main stand fire and really had to win to keep the title race ‘live’. 3 minutes in Harry Hood basically clinched the title .. despite the 1-1 final score

https://afcheritage.org/matches/match-report?id=2982

Edited by Ken Fitlike

21 minutes ago, Ken Fitlike said:

IMG_9972.jpeg.cd27d0cb2b48156e63db2e2887edc0af.jpeg
Aberdeen had a magnificent season in 1970/71… but dropped ‘daft points’ after the main stand fire and really had to win to keep the title race ‘live’. 3 minutes in Harry Hood basically clinched the title .. despite the 1-1 final score

https://afcheritage.org/matches/match-report?id=2982

Classic Bobby Clark pose captured in this photo.