A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Meanwhile back in 1943 there were major stars on show in unexpected places... Stanley Matthews and Tommy Lawton were playing for Morton at the time and the latter struck 5 in a 8-3 rout of Clyde while at Pittodrie a 4 goal haul from Stan Mortensen wasn't enough for Aberdeen who lost 5-4 to the British Army in a friendly.

8 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Meanwhile back in 1943 there were major stars on show in unexpected places... Stanley Matthews and Tommy Lawton were playing for Morton....

St. Mirren won the Summer Cup in 1943 beating Rangers 1-0 in the final but on the way there beat Morton in the semi...

03/07/1943

Semi Final - Replay, Hampden Park

St. Mirren 3 Morton 2

Linwood x2, Deakin

Team: Weare, Drinkwater, McLatchie, Housam, Kelly, Colquhoun, Jess, Stenhouse, Linwood, Deakin, McGarry

Morton’s forward line included Sir Stanley Matthews, Tommy Lawton and Billy Steel, had a 2-1, lead and were playing against a team whose keeper was injured and playing on the right wing, centre half Willie Kelly in goals, but St.Mirren overcame these odds to win a famous victory.

The team that won the final.

Screenshot_20230603_133436_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

image.png.eb7bb42313a8b7c5b27b77f8493aac70.png

... and taken from under the old Johnny Walker covered enclosure by the looks of it too.

Always used to think the Rugby Park floodlights were a match for the old Ibrox floodlights prior to the stadium redevelopment.

35 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Would that be good value? I really don't know.

You're paying for the convenience of getting there and back quickly. I went to Prague and Italy for games by bus and it wasn't pleasant and was about 2 days each way. The drunken, smelly, unhygienic arseholes I was with didn't help. And I'll remind them later today.