A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

6 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

image.thumb.png.e39dabb33784a8806544ca87eef92c29.png

Dumbarton v Kilmarnock 1973

Date unclear, but looks likely to be 17/3/73, a 4-2 home win. 2 doubles from Ross Mathie and Brian Herron for Sons, Jim McSherry and Eddie Morrison for Killie.*

*All thanks to the excellent Sons Archive https://sonsarchive.co.uk/index.php

image.png.1ef003fc1edd85443ae4548c29069a9f.png

That was some game.  The picture shows Ross Mathie scoring Sons fourth very late on against his old club, sealing what was to be a crucial win which helped us stay up.

Earlier, the late Brian Heron scored a wonderful free kick into the same end.  I can still see it crash off the underside of the bar and ricochet back upwards into the roof of the net.  You just love to see these 😉

16 minutes ago, Piquet said:

A Bio of Denis Law by the League Magazine

My favourite Scotland player. I only got to see him play once, a Euro qualifier v Denmark.

As stated in the article he was in the Scotland side which lost 9-3 in 1961 and he said it was the most humiliating experience of his career. So in 67 when Scotland were 2-0 up he wanted to enact some revenge for that defeat and really pump them. Anecdotally, Bremner and Baxter showboated allowing  England to score twice in the last 5 minutes to save a bit of face.

Sadly missed Man Utd's EC win in 68 but achieved his dream of playing in a WC finals in 74.

One of the disgraces in the game is the way larger clubs use their financial muscle simply to obliterate smaller rivals with big money approaches.  Naturally one of the absolute worst for this is St Mirren.  And as usual the big boys got away with it.

The-Courier-and-Argus-Wed-Sep-17-1890.jp

(Dundee Courier, 17 September 1890)

9 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

One of the disgraces in the game is the way larger clubs use their financial muscle simply to obliterate smaller rivals with big money approaches.  Naturally one of the absolute worst for this is St Mirren.  And as usual the big boys got away with it.

Great stuff.  I can think of quite a few Sons players down the years that I would quite happily have paid to 'keep out of the way'.

14 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

image.png.c3c02cfd6ce73af15b6762d5d14b9f6a.png

A stance they returned to for most of the 1990s.

On 25/05/2023 at 19:54, Flybhoy said:

Well it is the 25th of May....

20230525_180203.jpg

The second live game I ever saw on TV ... sad to say the first was the dreaded Wembley 66.

Wee Bertie Auld used to hand out the medals at the end of season to our local boys club, seemed a nice fella.

It was 60yrs ago Denis Law scored a hat trick for his nation but ended up on the losing side. Wearing all white shirts Scotland crashed 4-3 in Bergen to a Norwegian team drawn entirely from their domestic non-professional league, at the start of a 3-game tour of Europe.

norway-v-scotland-1967.jpg     1963060402.jpg

Matters got worse 5 days later when the Scots lost 1-0 to Eire in Dublin, before pride was restored 4 days on with a famous 6-2 victory over Spain in the Bernabeu.