A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

6 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Full time at Pittodrie as Aberdeen beat Celtic to win the first Drybourgh Cup in 1971.

FB_IMG_1684180626926.jpg

I was there in the newly opened and seated Paddock. That was our first competitive home match since the league match against Celtic at the end of the previous season when it was 1-1. If Aberdeen had had the same score as the Drybourgh Cup Final, we would almost certainly have won the 1970/71 title. 

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I was there in the newly opened and seated Paddock. That was our first competitive home match since the league match against Celtic at the end of the previous season when it was 1-1. If Aberdeen had had the same score as the Drybourgh Cup Final, we would almost certainly have won the 1970/71 title. 

Agree.  I believe that 1970/71 team was amongst the best in the club's history.  A tremendous side.

12 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

There's a couple of Celtic Nostalgia type twitter accounts I follow and a Facebook page of the same ilk that have mentioned the game you refer to, penultimate game of the season or something and Celtic won the title by a point or two from what I recall reading?

12 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

There's a couple of Celtic Nostalgia type twitter accounts I follow and a Facebook page of the same ilk that have mentioned the game you refer to, penultimate game of the season or something and Celtic won the title by a point or two from what I recall reading?

Aberdeen had two games left, home to Celtic and away at Falkirk. All we had to do was beat Celtic and get at least a point at Falkirk to win the title. We drew with Celtic which finished our chances and we ended up losing to Falkirk, which then had no bearing on the title. One of my favourite ever seasons following Aberdeen home and away and missing only one league game at Kilmarnock. 

Edited by kingjoey

16 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Eddie Turnbull was pretty adamant that the Pittodrie fire of 1971 was the decisive factor in AFC not winning the league.  Hard to say of course, given that Celtic were probably in the top half dozen of European club sides at the time.

from https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/past-times/2872459/the-1971-fire-which-devastated-pittodrie-and-destroyed-aberdeens-title-hopes/

In the early hours of the morning, Turnbull went through the whole gamut of emotions and admitted it took a heavy toll on him.

He had tough choices to make, even as the firefighters dampened down the area, and the extent of the damage became clear.

The manager said in his autobiography: “I faced a real dilemma, because I was pretty certain that the Scottish League would allow us to postpone the match.

“But we were going so well that I feared any interruption would halt our title charge. Sure enough, we were offered the chance of a postponement by the authorities.

“Yet I was worried about how the players would react and how they would feel about the news that their place of work – which had become a second home to some of them – had burned down.

“At first, I chose to cancel the game. But, as the morning wore on, I changed my mind and I decided that we should go ahead and play.

“It is a decision that haunted me and I think it cost us the title.”

The Dons’ minds seemed to be on other things when they met Dunfermline and they slipped to a 1-0 defeat, confounded by the goalkeeping exploits of Ernie McGarr – who had only left Aberdeen a few weeks earlier after being frustrated on the sidelines.

It wasn’t a dreadful outcome, and particularly since Celtic lost to St Johnstone, which meant that Turnbull’s team was still at the top of the table.

But he could see the effects of the mess around the club in the weeks ahead.

He said: “We had to change our training arrangements [to Linksfield Stadium] which was unsettling and Pittodrie was not the place it used to be. We could only draw with Rangers and St Mirren at home, where the wind whistled through the burnt-out stand.

“To be fair, the lads fought hard and kept grinding out results and we were still in pole position as the spring arrived. It all came down to our home match against Celtic on April 17 and I turned to Winston Churchill for inspiration with the message: ‘After nine months of blood, sweat and tears, the crunch comes today for the Dons’.

“But it was every bit as tough as we thought it would be. Harry Hood scored from a Jimmy Johnstone corner, but Alec Willoughby equalised and we created plenty of chances and were the better team, but it ended 1-1 and you could see from the reaction of our players at the finish that they realised our chance had gone.

“Looking back at the end of the season, I thought the fire and the loss against Dunfermline was the turning point for us. Yes, I know that a season does not revolve around a single match or incident, but that devastating fire hurt us so much.

IMG_0301.jpeg

1 hour ago, O_Kahn said:

Eddie Turnbull was pretty adamant that the Pittodrie fire of 1971 was the decisive factor in AFC not winning the league.  Hard to say of course, given that Celtic were probably in the top half dozen of European club sides at the time.

from https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/past-times/2872459/the-1971-fire-which-devastated-pittodrie-and-destroyed-aberdeens-title-hopes/

In the early hours of the morning, Turnbull went through the whole gamut of emotions and admitted it took a heavy toll on him.

He had tough choices to make, even as the firefighters dampened down the area, and the extent of the damage became clear.

The manager said in his autobiography: “I faced a real dilemma, because I was pretty certain that the Scottish League would allow us to postpone the match.

“But we were going so well that I feared any interruption would halt our title charge. Sure enough, we were offered the chance of a postponement by the authorities.

“Yet I was worried about how the players would react and how they would feel about the news that their place of work – which had become a second home to some of them – had burned down.

“At first, I chose to cancel the game. But, as the morning wore on, I changed my mind and I decided that we should go ahead and play.

“It is a decision that haunted me and I think it cost us the title.”

The Dons’ minds seemed to be on other things when they met Dunfermline and they slipped to a 1-0 defeat, confounded by the goalkeeping exploits of Ernie McGarr – who had only left Aberdeen a few weeks earlier after being frustrated on the sidelines.

It wasn’t a dreadful outcome, and particularly since Celtic lost to St Johnstone, which meant that Turnbull’s team was still at the top of the table.

But he could see the effects of the mess around the club in the weeks ahead.

He said: “We had to change our training arrangements [to Linksfield Stadium] which was unsettling and Pittodrie was not the place it used to be. We could only draw with Rangers and St Mirren at home, where the wind whistled through the burnt-out stand.

“To be fair, the lads fought hard and kept grinding out results and we were still in pole position as the spring arrived. It all came down to our home match against Celtic on April 17 and I turned to Winston Churchill for inspiration with the message: ‘After nine months of blood, sweat and tears, the crunch comes today for the Dons’.

“But it was every bit as tough as we thought it would be. Harry Hood scored from a Jimmy Johnstone corner, but Alec Willoughby equalised and we created plenty of chances and were the better team, but it ended 1-1 and you could see from the reaction of our players at the finish that they realised our chance had gone.

“Looking back at the end of the season, I thought the fire and the loss against Dunfermline was the turning point for us. Yes, I know that a season does not revolve around a single match or incident, but that devastating fire hurt us so much.

IMG_0301.jpeg

Den Perry did it.

On this sad day for Albion Rovers (and I'm more affected by their relegation into the dreadful cesspit of the Lowland League than I am about Dundee United's self inflicted doom), Mal Winkles on Twitter@MemorabiliaMal posted this Tony Green feature from a 1970 Striker magazine.

Screenshot_20230520-132225_Twitter.thumb.jpg.84b802d8411408da9d60d1b2c6ba3c46.jpg

Tony Green was certainly the best player I ever saw playing for Albion Rovers, a very clever guy on the pitch, slightly built but able to thread a pass in a way that would become more acceptable in recent years.

But he suffered from serious injuries, of a degree which limited then ended his career at 25: in these times he would possibly/probably have benefitted from modern medical techniques and been a Scotland star.

15 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

On this sad day for Albion Rovers (and I'm more affected by their relegation into the dreadful cesspit of the Lowland League than I am about Dundee United's self inflicted doom), Mal Winkles on Twitter@MemorabiliaMal posted this Tony Green feature from a 1970 Striker magazine.

Screenshot_20230520-132225_Twitter.thumb.jpg.84b802d8411408da9d60d1b2c6ba3c46.jpg

Tony Green was certainly the best player I ever saw playing for Albion Rovers, a very clever guy on the pitch, slightly built but able to thread a pass in a way that would become more acceptable in recent years.

But he suffered from serious injuries, of a degree which limited then ended his career at 25: in these times he would possibly/probably have benefitted from modern medical techniques and been a Scotland star.

I just about remember Tony Green, never realised his career was over at only 25, such a shame.

4 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I just about remember Tony Green, never realised his career was over at only 25, such a shame.

I remember him on The Pools Panel with Ronnie Simpson. They seemed to sit quite often as I remember, but looking at episodes of match of the 70s I don't think many got called off for mud or snow.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I remember him on The Pools Panel with Ronnie Simpson. They seemed to sit quite often as I remember, but looking at episodes of match of the 70s I don't think many got called off for mud or snow.

No, the Pools Panel didn't sit that often as I recall ... mind you, back then mudheaps like Derby's Baseball Ground were regarded as adding character to the game and didn't prevent creative maestros such as Norman Hunter, Billy Bremner, Ron Harris etc displaying the finer points of their talents ... 🙄

16 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

22 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

16 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

remember him on The Pools Panel with Ronnie Simpson. They seemed to sit quite often as I remember, but looking at episodes of match of the 70s I don't think many got called off for mud or snow.

Here he is scoring two of Blackpool’s goals in a 4-0 FA Cup win against West Ham in 1971.

Decent article about the Pools Panel featuring Tony Green here:

The pools panel: three former players who never stopped in lockdown

image.png.56ca12a40347e613c687fa20204a587c.png

The third member of the group, Tony Green, had a shorter playing career, but his life experience is no less impressive. The former Albion Rovers, Blackpool, Newcastle and Scotland player was only 25 when an injury ended his career. He ripped the cartilage and ligaments in his right knee and his recuperation was not helped by the club insisting he continued training in a splint, running up and down the terraces at St. James’ Park. Having studied maths at the University of Paisley while on Albion Rovers’ books, he took up teaching and had a 30-year career in education. He has been on the pools panel since 1976.

Suspect it'll go unnoticed but 60yrs ago Scotland Amateurs won FA Centenary Tournament at Roker Park.

Oddly enough same night FA staged European Cup Final.

Group A
Wed 15 May     Scotland 5-1 Eire                       at Bishop Auckland
Wed 15 May      Italy 1-1 Switzerland               at Whitley Bay
Sat 18 May         Eire 2-2 Switzerland                at Blyth
Sat 18 May         Scotland 3-1 Italy                     at Darlington
Mon 20 May      Italy 2-0 Eire                                 at Carlisle
Mon 20 May     Scotland 1-1 Switzerland     at Crook

Group B
Wed 15 May     England 3-1 France                                  at Hartlepools
Wed 15 May     West Germany 1-0 Netherlands     at Durham
Sat 18 May         West Germany 1-0 England              at Middlesbrough
Sat 18 May         France 2-0 Netherlands                       at North Shields
Mon 20 May     West Germany 4-2 France                  at South Shields
Mon 20 May     England 3-1 Netherlands                     at Gateshead

Final
Wed 22 May     Scotland 5-2 West Germany     at Sunderland

Squad (trainer: Reid)
Boardman, Buchanan, Clark, Cole, Cromar, Dougan, Gilmour, Grant, Hopper, Mackay, Neil, Pollatschek, Roxburgh, Vernon (all Queen's Park), Lorimer (Leeds Utd), Mitchell (Dundee Utd), Murdoch (Motherwell)

XI v Eire     Murdoch; Vernon, Neil; Cole, Dougan, Grant, Cormack, Buchanan, Boardman, Lorimer, Mitchell
XI v Italy     Murdoch; Pollatschek, Neil; Cromar, Dougan, Cole; Cormack, Boardman, Buchanan, Lorimer, Mitchell
XI v Switzerland     Murdoch; Pollatschek, Neil; Cromar, Dougan, Grant; Roxburgh, Boardman, Buchanan, Lorimer, Mitchell
XI v West Germany     Murdoch; Pollatschek, Neil; Cromar, Dougan, Cole; Cormack, Boardman, Buchanan, Lorimer, Mitchell

Scorers v Eire                              Boardman (1, 50 62); Grant (77), own goal (70)
Scorers v Italy
                             Buchanan (13, 60); Lorimer (21)
Scorer v Switzerland
               Boardman (40)
Scorers v West Germany
     Boardman (4, 76); Buchanan (65); Mitchell (70); own goal (54)

231-2.jpg

image.png.e07fa5747c458f971780e120f73e1fba.png     image.png.27b6c8c5c8d26e538d81b35aad91422c.png     image.png.e29615fe79f46f0a51c4d248d21d88ef.png

image.png.344b6c5b06a8f8d9ec2e2013cdfd0eaa.png

image.png.fc891f7786bf7e8cdd4b698edeffcbc1.png     image.png.8154558fa375c2eea0db6601d3968d16.png     image.thumb.png.656d5531082a88aa10ac4f333fb8fd41.png

s-l1600.jpg