A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

8 hours ago, Eednud said:

Radio Times from October 1952 showing there would be a live TV broadcast of the second half of a friendly between Arsenal and Hibs. Arsenal won 7-1. Arsenal won the their league and Hibs finished second on goal average in the Scottish League.

IMG_1610.jpeg

This was amongst the first properly floodlit games in Britain.

Arsenal hanselled their lighting the previous September (v Hapoel Tel Aviv), then played Rangers in October... their use was not permitted in competitive football for several more years.

This is from Arsenal v Rangers:

1roqZ61SjRRt9t7wexwkm0b0kYe0IH0LfHnMbr_0

6841910924_5e31df2169_b.jpg

22 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Here's Ian doing the business against Oldco with the winner at Pittodrie in 1986. My first win against them as I had only seen two 0-0 draws previously so Angus had a special place in my heart.

6997bc49bc77ad29bf78149815fe534c.thumb.jpg.433277d7f21f67f4d077f627718ed53e.jpg

In my opinion, Ian Angus also scored one of the finest volleys caught on camera for Aberdeen, with a consolation goal in a Scottish Cup tie at Tynecastle. Superb technique, and was always a fine striker of the ball.

His goal is on 26:00 of the below video..

Was the Utd game a Scottish Cup semi replay? I remember there being a national rail strike on the day but Jim Farrie still insisted on both sets of fans still having to travel to Edinburg for it. 

Cheers ye wee (deid) shite! 

I ended up getting a backie on a BMW motorbike. Not something I've been keen to experience since. 

3 hours ago, Bialystock said:

Was the Utd game a Scottish Cup semi replay? I remember there being a national rail strike on the day but Jim Farrie still insisted on both sets of fans still having to travel to Edinburg for it. 

Cheers ye wee (deid) shite! 

I ended up getting a backie on a BMW motorbike. Not something I've been keen to experience since. 

It was a replay. First match a 0-0 draw on the previous Saturday. 

11 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It was a replay. First match a 0-0 draw on the previous Saturday. 

Outrageous non-awarding of a penalty to AFC late on I seem to remember. 

One of the approximately 300 semi finals AFC and United contested in the 1980s.

18 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

The SFA mosaic still survives outside the old HQ at 6 Park Gardens.

I  recall being in there a few times, but can barely remember what the set up was like.

sfa.thumb.jpg.9ef261772cf97edd46de488bd5d72bcf.jpg

Scene of many a picture in the papers of players dutifully trooping in, to get "carpeted" by "the beaks".

10 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

How do you get someone to sign for Dunfermline Athletic?  Why, just get them bladdered...

The_Courier_and_Argus_Wed__Aug_23__1893_.thumb.jpg.394cdd8d565235d81957761481c18fb1.jpg

(Dundee Courier, August 1893)

Well the club was formed in a pub.

On 08/05/2023 at 10:25, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm pretty certain this is the Dumbarton team* which lost 5-2 in a league match at Tannadice on 18th August 1934.  If so, United's scorers were Smith, Hart (2) and Gardiner (2), and I'm frankly astonished that Pat G was playing for the Arabs as far back as that.  Johnny Haddow and Tommy Cumming replied for the Sons, with the crowd given as 6000.

* According to our fantastic archive website there is one caption error; the wee fresh-faced lad in the bottom right was not Robert Henderson, but one John Pyper who was making the first of his eight appearances which included a 1-6 beating at Stenny and a 1-9 hiding at Methil. 

Team Photo 1934.jpeg

No mention of Major Arnold Ernst Toht in the back row there.

Toht_evil_grin.webp.23f689f7d66aded3b9d92a3b1d45a4bc.webp

s-l1600.jpg

FYu-iPLWYAEbe74?format=jpg&name=medium

PneX6-KZDoqkqo3sUr1wYw337183

Not a high-profile match but a poignant friendly 40yrs ago today.

Ian broke his neck while training with Ayr and was left paralysed. Later coached extensively.

He died of cancer in 2014 aged just 53.

jpeg&quality=85

Obituary: Ian Cashmore, footballer and coach | The Scotsman

Ian Cashmore | HeraldScotland

Edited by HibeeJibee

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

s-l1600.jpg

Ian broke his neck while training with Ayr and was left paralysed. Later coached extensively.

jpeg&quality=85

Sad story

15 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

s-l1600.jpg

jpeg&quality=85

Ian was a brilliant guy, worked tirelessly to support youth football in Kilwinning and across Ayrshire - he had the respect of everyone from players to opposing coaches to referees.. The setup down at Kilwinning Sports Club is exceptional, and has been genuinely transformational to the town as a whole, and I don't think it would have happened without him. His son Ian had a good career in Junior football and a spell in the SFL with Ayr, Stirling Albion and Stranraer.