A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

22 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Shawfield was definitely a one-off, a characterful hodge-podge of a stadium but in truth it wasn't the best place to watch a game.  The terracing was very shallow and you felt a long way from the pitch due to the dog track, with the sight lines affected by numerous vertical poles.  IIRC there was also a mesh fence about two feet high in there too.

I also seem to recall a considerable walk from the art deco 'Shawfield' turnstiles to the terracing with the huge Tote scoreboard looming above the far end - I never understood any of it.

Despite all of the above I loved going there, it was a very real football ground. 

Yet never had the romanticism of the Tote End at Bristol Rovers 

On 30/03/2023 at 10:08, Otis Blue said:

My only visit to Shawfield was early 1976.  Queens won 3-1 thanks to a couple of goals from newly signed (from Albion Rovers) pacy striker Peter Dickson and a John Dempster penalty.  Dickson brought new life to our season and sparked one of our "great escapes" from relegation - this time it was in what was known as the First Division (ie second tier at the time).  Sad to see what's happened to Clyde since then.

It's not that brilliant to see what's happened to us either.  

We're 3 places above Clyde in the same division.

Admittedly though, we still play in the same place we did then.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Simon Donnelly scores his first goal for Celtic against Raith Rovers on a soaking wet night at Celtic Park in 1993, he looks about 12 here.

20230330_232519.jpg

We spent pre-match in a bar in Paris before the Brazil ‘98 WC opener with Simon’s family. Mum, dad, grandparents and brothers and sisters. Great memories with a lovely family. I made sure that his auld man got to the stadium ok as we got a bit pissed together.
I got in ok, but not sure how he got on with his complimentary ticket in the “posh” seats. 
Met and spoke with Walter Smith at HT who was just about to join up with Everton. 
Another pleasant guy. Very humble and down to earth.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

... Admittedly though, we still play in the same place we did then.

Aye OK, I should've been more specific ... I was referring to Clyde's nomadic existence post Shawfield.

3 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Apparently just over 70 years ago the first ever floodlit match in Dublin was held at Tolka Park. The first game was a friendly between Drumcondra and St Mirren.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1952&GameID=195303300

Well Saints are known for their many “firsts” in football history.

First club to wear black and white striped shirts.

First substitute in Scottish football 

First club to sack Alex Ferguson.

4 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Well Saints are known for their many “firsts” in football history.

First club to wear black and white striped shirts.

First substitute in Scottish football 

First club to sack Alex Ferguson.

First club to lose a cup final to nine men. 

8 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

First club to lose a cup final to nine men. 

First club to host another club's merchandise shop within their own stadium ...?

On 01/04/2023 at 00:26, Eednud said:

Apparently just over 70 years ago the first ever floodlit match in Dublin was held at Tolka Park. The first game was a friendly between Drumcondra and St Mirren.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1952&GameID=195303300

IMG_1582.jpeg

Two things arise from that photo. 

1. Drumcondra were owned by the Prole Family (really). Who were notoriously tight. Sam Prole once instructed the Manager to play his son, on the basis that the young fellow wouldn't need to be paid. In my days in Dublin, in the early 80's, when Tolka Park had been taken over by Home Farm, it was the only Ground in Dublin with lights, so all the midweek, mostly Cup, games in winter were played there. As full time approached, the old codgers in the crowd would drift over towards the exits. Apparently the Proles, in their time in charge,used to switch off the lights, leaving fans to navigate the terrace in pitch darkness. 

2. As stated, Cork Athletic and Evergreen United (later to become Cork Celtic) asked that their Cup Final be played in Cork. Not only was their request refused, but, when the game was drawn, the Replay was also fixed for Dublin, and in Midweek and all.

Of course none of the above would ever happen in Scotland. 

7 hours ago, Piquet said:

2. As stated, Cork Athletic and Evergreen United (later to become Cork Celtic) asked that their Cup Final be played in Cork. Not only was their request refused, but, when the game was drawn, the Replay was also fixed for Dublin, and in Midweek and all.

Of course none of the above would ever happen in Scotland. 

To be fair, the Aberdeen v United League Cup Final replay in 1979/80 was moved to Dens and the Dundee Derby final the next year was also held at Dens. These were the only 2 times the final was played outside Glasgow and in consecutive seasons as well.

I don't think the Scottish Cup has ever been held outside Glasgow although it has been held at a few different grounds in the city.

29 minutes ago, hk blues said:

To be fair, the Aberdeen v United League Cup Final replay in 1979/80 was moved to Dens and the Dundee Derby final the next year was also held at Dens. These were the only 2 times the final was played outside Glasgow and in consecutive seasons as well.

I don't think the Scottish Cup has ever been held outside Glasgow although it has been held at a few different grounds in the city.

It was held in Edinburgh in 1896 when Hearts played Hibs on the ground of St Bernards (New Logie Green). 

It was also held at Kinning Park in 1881 at a time when the ground was outside the Glasgow City limits (subsumed into the city in 1897 according wiki)

Edited by kristov