A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

37 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Rest of the World team group to play England in 1963: (back row) Ferenc Puskas, Djalma Santos, Svatopluk Pluskal, Lev Yashin, Jan Popluhar, Karl Heinz Schnellinger, Milutin Soskic, Josef Masopust, Eyzaguire, Jim Baxter (front row) Raymond Kopa, Denis Law, Alfredo di Stefano, Eusebio, Francisco Gento

Stared at this for a time, then realised Slim Jim was behind Eyzaguire: the man at the end of the row is Fernando Riera.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I only remember Joe Fillipi playing for Ayr. No recollection of him signing for Celtic. 

He was one of a few in the 70s that had a good game against them and got signed on the strength of it. I'd need to look it up, but I'm sure he had a real stinker of a game fairly quickly and disappeared after that.

ETA, 42 games in 2 seasons, a lot more than I thought. Got bumped when McGrain was fit.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I only remember Joe Fillipi playing for Ayr. No recollection of him signing for Celtic. 

Me as well.

I remember getting him in a packet of football cards (cardboard, not stickers) along with a dawd of pink bubblegum around 1977/78 (Ayr were definitely Premier League and Clydebank's Mike Larnach was in the packet as well).

I remember the 'thrill' of seeing guys who I had football cards of playing in the flesh at Stark's Park the following season.

53 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Why? The war was years in the future.

The swastika had been appropriated by the extremely fascist German Nazi party from the mid 1920s as their symbol and flag. It was synonymous with the Nazis program of "racial hygiene". Even pre WW2 this symbolism was widely understood.

Edited by Otis Blue

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Played 30 odd games in a two year spell at Celtic between 77 and 79, signed apparently as cover/replacement for Danny McGrain who had a long spell out through injury then, was always going to be a tough job filling the shoes of a Celtic legend but, I think in general he struggled to win over the fans from what I read with a few calamitous moments in big games before he left for Clyde. 

10 hours ago, Piquet said:

Another from The League Magazine

Ian Ure and Denis Law are sent off for fighting at Old Trafford in 1967. 

A year or so later, Ure was transferred to United. 

20230329_204042.jpg

Later commemorated by the Clash song ‘I Fought D.Law and D.Law Won’

11 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

A couple of Shawfield photographs from the 70s. Shawfield was home to Clyde from 1898-1986. For the first 20 years or so of their existence, the Bully Wee played at Barrowfield Park, right beside the River Clyde.

Shawfield270s.thumb.jpg.5c4e60989114e32a087d4b4866d153c7.jpg

Shawfield70s.jpg.a42520df3d9441590e6254d619abab19.jpg

My only visit to Shawfield was early 1976.  Queens won 3-1 thanks to a couple of goals from newly signed (from Albion Rovers) pacy striker Peter Dickson and a John Dempster penalty.  Dickson brought new life to our season and sparked one of our "great escapes" from relegation - this time it was in what was known as the First Division (ie second tier at the time).  Sad to see what's happened to Clyde since then.

31 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

My only visit to Shawfield was early 1976.  Queens won 3-1 thanks to a couple of goals from newly signed (from Albion Rovers) pacy striker Peter Dickson and a John Dempster penalty.  Dickson brought new life to our season and sparked one of our "great escapes" from relegation - this time it was in what was known as the First Division (ie second tier at the time).  Sad to see what's happened to Clyde since then.

I never made it to Shawfield - could have gone in the mid 80s, Glasgow Cup games, Partick v Celtic which I went to and Clyde v Rangers the following night which I didn't bother attending "Ach, I'll get another time." Another time never happened.

17 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

The swastika had been appropriated by the extremely fascist German Nazi party from the mid 1920s as their symbol and flag. It was synonymous with the Nazis program of "racial hygiene". Even pre WW2 this symbolism was widely understood.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

However "widely understood" the symbolism, in 1936 Germany was still (more or less) a respected member of the international community. Despite some misgivings, most countries sent teams to the Olympics in Berlin.

Having invited Germany to play at Ibrox, it would have been grossly discourteous to refuse to fly the guests' flag.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I never made it to Shawfield - could have gone in the mid 80s, Glasgow Cup games, Partick v Celtic which I went to and Clyde v Rangers the following night which I didn't bother attending "Ach, I'll get another time." Another time never happened.

Shawfield was definitely a one-off, a characterful hodge-podge of a stadium but in truth it wasn't the best place to watch a game.  The terracing was very shallow and you felt a long way from the pitch due to the dog track, with the sight lines affected by numerous vertical poles.  IIRC there was also a mesh fence about two feet high in there too.

I also seem to recall a considerable walk from the art deco 'Shawfield' turnstiles to the terracing with the huge Tote scoreboard looming above the far end - I never understood any of it.

Despite all of the above I loved going there, it was a very real football ground. 

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Shawfield was definitely a one-off, a characterful hodge-podge of a stadium but in truth it wasn't the best place to watch a game.  The terracing was very shallow and you felt a long way from the pitch due to the dog track, with the sight lines affected by numerous vertical poles.  IIRC there was also a mesh fence about two feet high in there too.

I also seem to recall a considerable walk from the art deco 'Shawfield' turnstiles to the terracing with the huge Tote scoreboard looming above the far end - I never understood any of it.

Despite all of the above I loved going there, it was a very real football ground. 

I liked it, easy to get to and plenty of good stops either way. Even when I was a kid I remember having a decent view, the crowds were usually quite low and well spread out though.

22 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

However "widely understood" the symbolism, in 1936 Germany was still (more or less) a respected member of the international community. Despite some misgivings, most countries sent teams to the Olympics in Berlin.

Having invited Germany to play at Ibrox, it would have been grossly discourteous to refuse to fly the guests' flag.

Yes, I'll grant you that I'm looking back through the wonderful prism of hindsight.  That said, 1925 had seen the publication of Hitler's manifesto "Mein Kampf", and 1933 had seen the rise of the Nazis to power and the start of their persecution of Jews and other minorities with the objective of cleansing the Aryan race.  Their abhorrent activities and objectives were widely known and understood across the international communities from that time and certainly by the time of that game in 1936.  So yes, I'll accept your point about any perceived discourtesy (presumably to the 500 German fans present - who were Nazi party members) in not flying their flag, but history has given us plenty of examples of where things lead when we don't stand up to autocratic dictators ... ask anyone in Kyiv today for example.

Anyhow, I'll leave it there - as an older person I enjoy (most of) the memories posted on this excellent thread and I don't want to distract its purpose and take it down a separate political path to the distraction and/or annoyance of other readers.

On 30/03/2023 at 10:08, Otis Blue said:

Last game i saw at Shawfield was a 7-1 win for Hearts.

Possibly a League Cup tie.

Think Clyde left for pastures within a couple of years.