A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 24/03/2023 at 20:46, Dundee Hibernian said:

Scotland v Germany at Ibrox, 1936. Scotland won 2-0 with Jimmy Delaney scoring two second half goals, his first for his country.

Ibrox1936ScotvGer.thumb.jpg.318a201cece6790bfc5d84774cc2e8f1.jpg

Around 500 German supporters attended, visiting from a cruise ship which had been scheduled to visit Glasgow and Dublin to visit the Ibrox game and on against Ireland (a 5-2 loss). These 'fans' were, in fact, all Nazi Party members, Hitler being a keen advocate of rewarding loyalty with holidays. The party organised cruises as far as the Canary Islands, and also built the world's largest holiday camp, at Prora as part of the Nazi's Strength Through Joy policy.

Off topic, but if you are interested in massive concrete constructions, you should search for images of Prora, 'Hitler's Holiday Camp'.

And everyone of the party faithful had a camera.

Kenny Dalglish receiving his 100th cap in 1986 before a 3-0 win in a friendly against Romania. 

My two memories of this match are Gordon Strachan scoring an exquisite chip and this horrendous, diarrhoea coloured full length leather jacket worn by Franz Beckrnbauer.

FB_IMG_1680078083583.jpg

And here is wee Gordon Strachan doing a spot of modelling for some Scotland stuff in the run up to the 1986 World Cup in Mexico, back in the days when we used to regularly qualify for them, this tournament was number 4 or the 5 we qualified for in succession, the very notion of which seems absolutely mental these days. 

20230321_150839.jpg

16 hours ago, drs said:

Ipswich Town in the late 60s on a break in Perthshire* - playing Breadalbane in Aberfeldy.

Town in the Blue and White for those of you watching in B&W - with the manager being the one in specs. He started the first half and when it was still close at half time brought on the likes of Gerry Baker. Think its 1967.

* - the owner was the local Laird and would often bring the team to his estate for some relaxation.

fam (9).jpg

I'm pretty sure the bespectacled Ipswich Manager is Bill McGarry and the player on the extreme right is Scotsman Bill Baxter who later left for Hull City due to 'ill-discipline' in his relationship with incoming boss Bobby Robson.

43 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm pretty sure the bespectacled Ipswich Manager is Bill McGarry and the player on the extreme right is Scotsman Bill Baxter who later left for Hull City due to 'ill-discipline' in his relationship with incoming boss Bobby Robson.

It is Bill McGarry.

Andy Ritchie signing (a contract extension?) with Benny Rooney, at Cappielow. 

meant to be 1980. Does look a bit more 1976 to me, but i cant get a bead on the calendar 😂FB_IMG_1680100502324.jpg.be9dda649eb778af42a25cebe141391d.jpg

Edited by jagfox

36 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Andy Ritchie signing (a contract extension?) with Benny Rooney, at Cappielow. 

meant to be 1980. Does look a bit more 1976 to me, but i cant get a bead on the calendar 😂FB_IMG_1680100502324.jpg.be9dda649eb778af42a25cebe141391d.jpg

Ritchie scored one of the greatest goals of all time against Aberdeen

Miller , McLeish and Leighton IIRC

4 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

🤣

Joe Fillipi according to the excellent Celtic Wiki website, before my time but not exactly a Celtic legend from what older fans I know say.

I only remember Joe Fillipi playing for Ayr. No recollection of him signing for Celtic. 

FB_IMG_1680108117688.jpg.7979186895c1236b571251266fa35e60.jpgRest of the World select - that played England at Wembley in 1963. Banter and Law with some able assistance from around the globe, by the looks of things 🤔

Spoiler

Rest of the World team group to play England in 1963: (back row) Ferenc Puskas, Djalma Santos, Svatopluk Pluskal, Lev Yashin, Jan Popluhar, Karl Heinz Schnellinger, Milutin Soskic, Josef Masopust, Eyzaguire, Jim Baxter (front row) Raymond Kopa, Denis Law, Alfredo di Stefano, Eusebio, Francisco Gento

^^^ players shown, in spoilers

Edited by jagfox