A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

The removal of the decrepit North Stand in 82 was the pre cursor to concreting the terracing steps which, till that point had comprised of Ash and timber, the national stadium really was a fucking dive despite its size, some would argue it still is despite it's rebuilding in the 1990s. 

I have a programme for the 1980 Scottish Cup final which, some may recall ended somewhat acrimoniously, in which the SFA boast of the major upcoming renovation of the stadium which never happened, something to do with withdrawal of government or pools funding money if memory serves me correctly, maybe older posters may recall better as I was born in 1976 so, obviously have no recollection of the events surrounding it which meant articles like this were pie in the sky. 

FB_IMG_1679264248755.jpg

"Traditionally Celtic end" and "Traditionally Rangers end" are traditions that have no place in 2023.

5 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I sat in it with my Dad at the 79 League Cup final. 
My main memory of the game is bottles of fizzy wine(I doubt it was champagne) being passed around when the late winner went in. 
Despite getting the tickets from the club we were somehow surrounded by ‘the enemy’.

Fergies first final with the Dons and later in the year they also lost to Utd in the same competition after a replay. After that he never lost in a final with the Dandies. 

If you watch the footage from the two Aberdeen v Rangers Scottish Cup Finals from the early 80s you can see the big difference in the North terrace over the 12 month period.

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

"Traditionally Celtic end" and "Traditionally Rangers end" are traditions that have no place in 2023.

Whether you agree with it or not it's a fact that Celtic are always allocated the East end of the stadium and Rangers the West, been like this since WW2 I believe, not sure of the original reasons for it but it's kind of stuck since then, can understand why fans of other clubs get pissed at it in fairness. 

I can only assume that, as the two clubs who make semis and finals the most it makes sense for continuity of security to have each fans taking the same routes to and from the stadium regarding public transport and supporters buses etc, I'd imagine it's an arrangement the clubs and authorities are in agreement and happy with.

I've only been through the turnstiles at the 'Rangers end' of Hampden twice, for a Scotland v France WC qualifier in 1989 when our boys club took us into the covered end on a miserable wet night as Scotland won 2-0 with both goals from Le Petite Merde and, about five years ago for the Stone Roses concert as the stage was set up at the 'Celtic end'.  The latter was bizarre as, I'd been to a handful of concerts there and the stage was always set in front of the North Stand, unsure why it was positioned at one of the ends this time.  Not a great concert venue in my opinion, the bowl shape and the huge height difference in the South Stand to the rest of the ground causes a bizarre echo of the sound.

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Was knocked down in 1982, that years League Cup final, played in early December between Celtic and Rangers the entire North Terrace was out of use and closed off due to the dismantling of the stand that stood atop said Terrace in a wonderfully timed bit of planning by the SFA, both clubs got their traditional end behind the two goals and split the main stand.  Being a typical Glasgow day for that time of year it fucking pished down with rain all day, meaning those behind the uncovered Celtic end terrace were soaked to the skin by the time the first throw in was awarded.

Celtic won 2-1 with first half goals from Charlie Nicholas and Murdo McLeod, Jim Bett scored for Rangers in the second half. 

hLc8xTD5uVTdYp9K7HBWIA224080.jpeg

e2e5a647932c1904721b5ddec6243537.jpeg

GW825H638-702x459-1.jpeg

GW1020H571-1.jpeg

My first Cup Final.  Right down the front watching through the mesh fence in the teaming rain.

Getting in through the turnstiles was like a scrum, must have been loads without tickets due to the reduced capacity of 55,000.

As soon as Danny lift the cup I was off back to the bus.

It would be a long wait until our next League Cup win.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Hampden's North Stand, according to the tremendous "Football Grounds of Britain" by Simon Inglis, was added in 1937, contributing an additional 4,500 seats to bring the capacity up to 150,000. 

NorthStandbeingbuilt.thumb.jpg.cf7466d4790fa21c9d17402cb13e6b90.jpg

It was designed by Archibald Leith's firm, although he was all but retired and died two years later.

Inglis writes demolition began in 1981, by which time Thatcher's promise to grant 5.5 million pounds in 1980 had been reversed on the advice of Ian Sproat MP, an avid cricket fan.

I sat in it at the Scotland-England matches of 1968 and 1970, both drawn, the second being of note for the amount of forged tickets produced bringing the attendance 3,000 over capacity. Even as a youngster, I didn't feel the stand gave an aura of security or safety.

Amazing picture.  I was only ever at Hampden once when it was still there - the 1981 Scottish Cup Semi Final between Celtic and Dundee United (0-0).  I didn't get to the midweek replay - which was quite a game for United fans.

On 19/03/2023 at 22:56, Dundee Hibernian said:

The North Stand at Hampden at the back, police parade to the fore. Looks like a match during World War Two.nstand.thumb.jpg.bd618d78ef428e9dbcd1b3c7c9be3047.jpg

Apparently the Scottish Cup Final for 1938-39... Clyde 4-0 Motherwell... attendance: 94,000.

My own guess would have been the War Emergency Cup Final for 1939-40... Rangers 1-0 Dundee United... attendance: 75,000 (danger areas limited to 50% capacity).

Edited by HibeeJibee

5 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

The removal of the decrepit North Stand in 82 was the pre cursor to concreting the terracing steps which, till that point had comprised of Ash and timber, the national stadium really was a fucking dive despite its size, some would argue it still is despite it's rebuilding in the 1990s. 

I have a programme for the 1980 Scottish Cup final which, some may recall ended somewhat acrimoniously, in which the SFA boast of the major upcoming renovation of the stadium which never happened, something to do with withdrawal of government or pools funding money if memory serves me correctly, maybe older posters may recall better as I was born in 1976 so, obviously have no recollection of the events surrounding it which meant articles like this were pie in the sky. 

FB_IMG_1679264248755.jpg

TGSE00321.jpg

?type=og-image

photo-vi.jpg

17 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It was the only part of Hampden I was never in.  I very often stood in the North Enclosure below that stand with its pitch dark toilets two inches deep in pish.  There was a book written by Bob Crampsey called The Scottish Footballer in which he claimed these 'facilities' would have 'provoked comment amongst the less fastidious tribes of the Amazon'.

Classic Crampsey!!!

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Whether you agree with it or not it's a fact that Celtic are always allocated the East end of the stadium and Rangers the West, been like this since WW2 I believe, not sure of the original reasons for it but it's kind of stuck since then, can understand why fans of other clubs get pissed at it in fairness. 

I can only assume that, as the two clubs who make semis and finals the most it makes sense for continuity of security to have each fans taking the same routes to and from the stadium regarding public transport and supporters buses etc, I'd imagine it's an arrangement the clubs and authorities are in agreement and happy with.

I've only been through the turnstiles at the 'Rangers end' of Hampden twice, for a Scotland v France WC qualifier in 1989 when our boys club took us into the covered end on a miserable wet night as Scotland won 2-0 with both goals from Le Petite Merde and, about five years ago for the Stone Roses concert as the stage was set up at the 'Celtic end'.  The latter was bizarre as, I'd been to a handful of concerts there and the stage was always set in front of the North Stand, unsure why it was positioned at one of the ends this time.  Not a great concert venue in my opinion, the bowl shape and the huge height difference in the South Stand to the rest of the ground causes a bizarre echo of the sound.

There is absolutely no reason in 2023 for this "tradition" to be there. My sincere condolences that you have had to suffer the inconvenience of having to enter the West Stand and West Terrace once each.

I was a student in Glasgow in the late 70s and was an occasional steward at Hampden for big games.  One of the games was an OF cup semi (can't remember if it was League or Big Cup) - it was a pissing wet day so I wore my cagoule (royal blue), got to Hampden ahead of the game, was given my wee orange steward waistcoat thing to put on top of my cagoule and was allocated the Sellick end of the North Stand.  So 15 mins into the game, punters were still coming in late and I was in the way, blocking the view whilst showing folk to their seats - I was called every "blue-nosed, ***********" under the sun for being in the way (and for my rather fetching attire).  That stand was seriously high up, I was convinced I was going to get turfed over the front parapet onto the North Enclosure terrace below.

Remember that a really big fella came in and sat in the wrong seat.  Another big guy came in, grabbed me and said "hey steward, that arseholes sitting in my seat" - I said to him "you tell him to move - I'm only getting paid a pound for this and its no worth  a trip to A&E".

23 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

See, this is why Scottish football continually shoots itself in the foot, but continuing bizarre 'traditions' like this. 

Could you imagine this happening in any other country or any other teams in Scotland? Imagine if Man U had and end at Wembley. Imagine Dundee Utd and Aberdeen had a dedicated end each at Hampden and every other team had to accommodate? 

That each of these clubs has an 'end' at the neutral national stadium instantly makes it not neutral. The fact that like the sectarian singing, it is just accepted by everyone tells you all you need to know.

Simple way to allocate it is to say the team who is first out if the hat gets end x and the 'away' team gets end y.

On 21/03/2023 at 10:32, Eednud said:

Let’s get this back on topic.

Sometime in second half of the 1930’s Archie Coats (Dundee), Alex McSpadyen (Partick Thistle) and Jimmy McInnes (Third Lanark).

1E515038-2BCE-4170-A9AB-A9B0DAAC9C32.jpeg

Partick Thistle being the only team to afford both a ball AND a badge...

20 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

See, this is why Scottish football continually shoots itself in the foot, but continuing bizarre 'traditions' like this. 

Fair point ... but of course this bizarre Hampden tradition has developed as it is because this is Scottish Football and as such (and generally with the odd exception) only two clubs ever compete at the sharp end of our main competitions - all other clubs are basically just cannon fodder.

22 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Fair point ... but of course this bizarre Hampden tradition has developed as it is because this is Scottish Football and as such (and generally with the odd exception) only two clubs ever compete at the sharp end of our main competitions - all other clubs are basically just cannon fodder.

Does this stuff not date back to the Roman Coliseum where they had the Christians at one end and the bears at the other end.  Or was it lions.....?