A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

2 hours ago, House Bartender said:

Pretty well spot on with that. Bumper was by far the best entertainer but with limited options ahead (Joey (nah not you) and Drew) and much depended on the opposition. Scanlon a good workhorse and Weir, well, a real head down hard runner skilful mover with a vision of what  lay ahead. Is the day of the great winger gone forever? Last decent one to grace the home dressing room?

IIRC Weir scored one or two with his head as well

When was that stand knocked down? 

Anyone on here ever sit in it? 

Amazing that it looks bigger taller than the structure there now. Amazingly ugly structure. Not like the Archibald leitch beauties used to seeing from the early 20th century. 

I love pictures of old Hampden. 

Edited by Merkie84
Spelling

15 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

Amazing that it looks bigger taller than the structure there now. Amazingly ugly structure. Not like the Archibald leitch beauties used to seeing from the early 20 20th century. 

I'm pretty sure it was demolished around 1982. I'm not 100% certain, but I think the last time it had punters in it was the Scotland v England game that year.

6 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

Amazing that it looks bigger taller than the structure there now. Amazingly ugly structure. Not like the Archibald leitch beauties used to seeing from the early 20th century. 

I was in the fourth back row for the 1970 Scottish Cup Final. It was my first Cup Final and my dad got me the ticket so had no say in where watched the game. Apart from the goals and the euphoria, my other main recollection is barely being able to see Martin Buchan lift the Cup because I was so far away from it. 

7 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

Twice, it was steep.

Saw Archie G score for Scotland - https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/international-matches/?mid=57477

and

Beating the Nether Regions - https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/international-matches/?mid=57461

Hampdens been shit since they knocked it down.

10 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

Never actually sat in it, but stood on the North terracing below it many a time. To reach the toilets you had to pass through what was literally a curtain of pish from the stand above.

10 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

I was in it for the 3-3 semi final between Airdrie and Celtic in 1971. I was in the South for the replay. North again for the 1975 final. 

f709659373c2ed8445262f560de1ce8d.jpeg

On 18/03/2023 at 13:30, Specky Ginger said:

British football's first Sports Scientist coaching his protégé.

IMG-20230317-WA0003.jpg

Wee Billy loved the fags. Remember talking to him when Leeds came to Ayrshire in 1967 for our European semi final. Chatted happily with his fag hanging out of the side of his mouth.

he was this 10 year olds hero for a full day until the dirty wee basturd proceeded to conspire to help his team literally kick us out of the cup.

Edited by Hawkeye the Gnu

2 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Wee Billy loved the fags. Remember talking to him when Leeds came to Ayrshire in 1967 for our European semi final. Chatted happily with his fag hanging out of the side of his mouth.

he was this 10 year olds hero for a full day until the dirty wee basturd proceeded to conspire to help his team literally kick us out of the cup.

That reminds me of Hibs v Aston Villa in a friendly when I was 14. Was on the Villa team bus with my mate getting autographs and telling Bruce Rioch what a cracker of a goal he scored, they were all great crack, then when they saw Tommy Doc coming they told us to get off sharpish...

14 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

It was the only part of Hampden I was never in.  I very often stood in the North Enclosure below that stand with its pitch dark toilets two inches deep in pish.  There was a book written by Bob Crampsey called The Scottish Footballer in which he claimed these 'facilities' would have 'provoked comment amongst the less fastidious tribes of the Amazon'.

14 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

I was in it when Scotland played Argentina in 1977. Lost 3-1 with a wee 17yr old playing and scoring for them, wonder what happen to him  🤣   oh and the stand had a great view but it was a shithole and needed knocked down. 

2 hours ago, tam the bud said:

I was in it when Scotland played Argentina in 1977. Lost 3-1 with a wee 17yr old playing and scoring for them, wonder what happen to him  🤣   oh and the stand had a great view but it was a shithole and needed knocked down. 

'79 - Argentina were there as world cup winners 

16 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

I sat in it with my Dad at the 79 League Cup final. 
My main memory of the game is bottles of fizzy wine(I doubt it was champagne) being passed around when the late winner went in. 
Despite getting the tickets from the club we were somehow surrounded by ‘the enemy’.

Fergies first final with the Dons and later in the year they also lost to Utd in the same competition after a replay. After that he never lost in a final with the Dandies. 

21 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I hope I've picked you up wrongly. It sounds as if you're suggesting that Joe Harper and Drew Jarvie were limited options up front? 

I hope that's so, Joey. For both your sentences. It all seemed to make sense writing it at the time. Age? Drugs? (prescribed) Being no weel?

18 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

Was knocked down in 1982, that years League Cup final, played in early December between Celtic and Rangers the entire North Terrace was out of use and closed off due to the dismantling of the stand that stood atop said Terrace in a wonderfully timed bit of planning by the SFA, both clubs got their traditional end behind the two goals and split the main stand.  Being a typical Glasgow day for that time of year it fucking pished down with rain all day, meaning those behind the uncovered Celtic end terrace were soaked to the skin by the time the first throw in was awarded.

Celtic won 2-1 with first half goals from Charlie Nicholas and Murdo McLeod, Jim Bett scored for Rangers in the second half. 

hLc8xTD5uVTdYp9K7HBWIA224080.jpeg

e2e5a647932c1904721b5ddec6243537.jpeg

GW825H638-702x459-1.jpeg

GW1020H571-1.jpeg

Edited by Flybhoy

The removal of the decrepit North Stand in 82 was the pre cursor to concreting the terracing steps which, till that point had comprised of Ash and timber, the national stadium really was a fucking dive despite its size, some would argue it still is despite it's rebuilding in the 1990s. 

I have a programme for the 1980 Scottish Cup final which, some may recall ended somewhat acrimoniously, in which the SFA boast of the major upcoming renovation of the stadium which never happened, something to do with withdrawal of government or pools funding money if memory serves me correctly, maybe older posters may recall better as I was born in 1976 so, obviously have no recollection of the events surrounding it which meant articles like this were pie in the sky. 

FB_IMG_1679264248755.jpg

Hampden's North Stand, according to the tremendous "Football Grounds of Britain" by Simon Inglis, was added in 1937, contributing an additional 4,500 seats to bring the capacity up to 150,000. 

NorthStandbeingbuilt.thumb.jpg.cf7466d4790fa21c9d17402cb13e6b90.jpg

It was designed by Archibald Leith's firm, although he was all but retired and died two years later.

Inglis writes demolition began in 1981, by which time Thatcher's promise to grant 5.5 million pounds in 1980 had been reversed on the advice of Ian Sproat MP, an avid cricket fan.

I sat in it at the Scotland-England matches of 1968 and 1970, both drawn, the second being of note for the amount of forged tickets produced bringing the attendance 3,000 over capacity. Even as a youngster, I didn't feel the stand gave an aura of security or safety.