A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 25/02/2023 at 22:44, Flybhoy said:

Says something about the strength of Scottish football in general then that Celtic could reach a second European Cup final in three years, beating the Champions of England in the semis and Aberdeen, a pre Fergie Aberdeen could beat them that same week in the Scottish Cup final. 

Although before I was born I have heard more than a few tales of an absolutely horrendous refereeing performance that day, Celtic had a perfectly good goal chopped off, a stonewall penalty denied and one of Aberdeen's goals shouldn't have stood but hey, before my time just going on what I've read 😀

Sure the referee that day had a granddaughter who went on to become Scottish Tory leader in the Edinburgh Parliament for about 5 minutes a few years back.

Might even be a rumour said Scottish Tory leader's father was on Celtic's books at one point.

15 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

No 9 tram (Dalmuir/Auchenshuggle) passes Celtic Park. The last day of the Glasgow trams was over 60 years ago, 4th Sept. 1962.

Parkhead.thumb.jpg.61b932944222223e51c76b54087b4e93.jpg

Very Glasgow. Corporation Transport had to feature both Green and Orange so both sets of supporters could happily use the service.

20 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Celtic squad celebrate winning the 1966 League cup final 1-0 against Rangers with a Bobby Lennox goal, the first trophy of a clean sweep that season. 

FB_IMG_1678122423881.jpg

Think how much better that season would have been for Celtic if every single referee on the planet hadn't been against them. 

20 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

No 9 tram (Dalmuir/Auchenshuggle) passes Celtic Park. The last day of the Glasgow trams was over 60 years ago, 4th Sept. 1962.

Parkhead.thumb.jpg.61b932944222223e51c76b54087b4e93.jpg

4 hours ago, House Bartender said:

Very Glasgow. Corporation Transport had to feature both Green and Orange so both sets of supporters could happily use the service.

... but ... isn't the livery Green, White and Gold ...?  Can't imagine the "Teddies" getting on one of those.

53 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

... but ... isn't the livery Green, White and Gold ...?  Can't imagine the "Teddies" getting on one of those.

Aberdeen Corporation Transport just preferred standard green and white - Buses+in+Aberdeen,+ca.+1960's+(11).jpg

46 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Looks orange: in any case, Ireland's flag is green, white and orange, not gold, but we're maybe reading too much into this. 

Aye, just had a look at that "fountain of knowledge" that is Wiki and it says the Irish flag is Orange, not Gold.  I had always thought they called it Gold, but clearly not.  Every day a schoolday etc etc ...

7 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye, just had a look at that "fountain of knowledge" that is Wiki and it says the Irish flag is Orange, not Gold.  I had always thought they called it Gold, but clearly not.  Every day a schoolday etc etc ...

Aye, the orange represents the Orangemen from the north, green for catholicism, and white symbolising peace between the two groups. A pretty odd flag, all things considered. Soon to be seen on Celtic's new fourth jerseys, It's rumoured.

Billy Liddell.

BILLYLiddell9.thumb.jpg.ec8c8992783481e5754a13783f002362.jpg

Born just north of Dunfermline in Townhill, Liddell signed for Liverpool aged 16 in 1938. He had been recommended to the Anfield club by Matt Busby, and only played for that one senior team for his entire career. Excluding an excellent wartime record, he scored 228 goals in 534 matches for his club.

He also netted 8 International goals for Scotland, 11 including wartime.

After a long career, he retired in 1961.

On 05/03/2023 at 19:15, Bogbrush1903 said:

Mike Lanarch I think, scored Clydebank's first goal in the Premier League in 1977/78 after consectutive promotions after reconstruction in 1975/76

He scored the Clydebank's equaliser on the opening day of the season at Love Street in front of nearly 9,000 spectators.

McCormick-Larnach.jpg.f597a2badef9030a192dbd8dad02d1b5.jpg

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1977&GameID=197708130