A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

12 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

'Interfering with play' or 'seeking to gain an advantage'. I don't think there is any doubt that the St Mirren player on the line was 'seeking to gain an advantage'

Ok then, every forward who ever, ever got ahead of the last defender had to be instantly given as offside.  

Sorry, that's just bollocks.  

As we can see, officials desperate to insert themselves into the story sometimes disallowed goals then, on the most spurious of grounds.  The point is though, that they chose to.  The rules absolutely did not require it, and were in fact worded in such a way as to convey that ruling out such goals was never the law's intention.

I remember that Keegan one.  It was widely regarded at the time as an atrocious decision, primarily because it was.

Revisits that pretend it was correct at the time are misreading the time altogether.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Always remember this match as it was only 3 days after my dad died, and me and my two sisters were sitting in my living room discussing what had to be done with this on the radio in the background. Eric Black was a fantastic player who should have had a lot more than his two Scotland caps. He was the epitome of a player who could hang in the air for crosses and he only played for Aberdeen and Metz and as you rightly say retired at 28 because of his back injuries.

Was that not the game big Rougvie bared his arse to the jungle after getting pelters?

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

'Interfering with play' or 'seeking to gain an advantage'. I don't think there is any doubt that the St Mirren player on the line was 'seeking to gain an advantage'

"Gaining an advantage" is when a player is literally in a position to take advantage of the ball coming off the keeper or the woodwork, neither of which happened on that occasion.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ok then, every forward who ever, ever got ahead of the last defender had to be instantly given as offside.  

Sorry, that's just bollocks.  

As we can see, officials desperate to insert themselves into the story sometimes disallowed goals then, on the most spurious of grounds.  The point is though, that they chose to.  The rules absolutely did not require it, and were in fact worded in such a way as to convey that ruling out such goals was never the law's intention.

I remember that Keegan one.  It was widely regarded at the time as an atrocious decision, primarily because it was.

Revisits that pretend it was correct at the time are misreading the time altogether.

You might think that the rules are bollocks and that's fair enough. But me quoting the rules to you isn't bollocks. That's what the rules used to say and either could be used as a reason for giving offside A player on the touchline who is in an offside position clearly isn't interfering or seeking to gain an advantage. A player in the goalmouth is. Sure the rules would be bent but there's no point in dishing out abuse to me just because you don't like the message

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

"Gaining an advantage" is when a player is literally in a position to take advantage of the ball coming off the keeper or the woodwork, neither of which happened on that occasion.

The rule said 'seeking' to gain an advantage. Didn't mean that the advantage had to be taken

22 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

You might think that the rules are bollocks and that's fair enough. But me quoting the rules to you isn't bollocks. That's what the rules used to say and either could be used as a reason for giving offside A player on the touchline who is in an offside position clearly isn't interfering or seeking to gain an advantage. A player in the goalmouth is. Sure the rules would be bent but there's no point in dishing out abuse to me just because you don't like the message

Such wording was used to justify ridiculous decisions.  It didn't demand or require them.

It changed to prevent egotistical officials imposing injustice in service of themselves.  

On 06/01/2023 at 20:23, Flybhoy said:

Jim Leishman with Dunfermline's Hungarian midfielder Istvan Kozma, the boy was a player and a half from what I remember and ended up at Liverpool, although he didn't fare too well down there and was a bit out of his depth, Graeme Souness brought him down to Anfield not long after leaving Rangers, one of a number of disastrous signings in his ill fated spell at Liverpool, along with the likes of Jimmy Carter, David Speedie, Julian Dicks and Torben Piechnik.

FB_IMG_1673036196587.jpg

000-0077.jpg

Istvan Kozma with yours truly at the 2003 Budapest Burns Supper. Lovely guy, fondly remembered his time with big Leish.

Edited by Lurkst

11 hours ago, Lurkst said:

000-0077.jpg

Istvan Kozma with yours truly at the 2003 Budapest Burns Supper. Lovely guy, fondly remembered his time with big Leish.

Back in the day I was ecstatic listening to  a Liverpool fan on the radio describing how Souness had destroyed Liverpool and the boot room culture !

22 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

They weren't that happy four days earlier 

Says something about the strength of Scottish football in general then that Celtic could reach a second European Cup final in three years, beating the Champions of England in the semis and Aberdeen, a pre Fergie Aberdeen could beat them that same week in the Scottish Cup final. 

Although before I was born I have heard more than a few tales of an absolutely horrendous refereeing performance that day, Celtic had a perfectly good goal chopped off, a stonewall penalty denied and one of Aberdeen's goals shouldn't have stood but hey, before my time just going on what I've read 😀

37 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Says something about the strength of Scottish football in general then that Celtic could reach a second European Cup final in three years, beating the Champions of England in the semis and Aberdeen, a pre Fergie Aberdeen could beat them that same week in the Scottish Cup final. 

Although before I was born I have heard more than a few tales of an absolutely horrendous refereeing performance that day, Celtic had a perfectly good goal chopped off, a stonewall penalty denied and one of Aberdeen's goals shouldn't have stood but hey, before my time just going on what I've read 😀

Always cheated, never defeated... ;)

47 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Michael Kelly still brings up that game as evidence of institutional bias against Celtic (conveniently ignoring the 25 plus trophies won in the decade either side of it).

JS120593884.jpg

Mention of Elmwood in another thread reminded me of Joe Tront who played for Mooroolbark in the first season of the National Soccer League. They finished bottom with 15 points. He played in 13 games scoring 7 goals. The NSL top scorer with 16 goals was one John “Dixie” Deans of Adelaide City.

Tront, Josef
Date of Birth: 13-Nov-1952, Scotland
Position: Centre Forward

Playing Record
1971/2 - Dundee Elmwood (Scotland)
1971/2 - Raith Rovers (Scotland 2) 2 app + 2 sub. 0 gls.
1972/3 - St. Andrews United (Scotland)
1973/4 - Dundee Osborne (Scotland)
1974/5 - Forfar Athletic (Scotland 2) 8 app + 1 sub. 0 gls.
1975/6 - Forfar Athletic (Scotland 2) 24 app + 0 sub. 2 gls.

1977 - Mooroolbark (NSL)

EDD745CD-6C5E-401B-AABD-B470872AEEAE.png