A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

11 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I wouldn't class that as interfering with play, sorry.

And how come the penalty scorer has no number on the back of his jersey? Had it been ripped off in an earlier incident?

Can’t believe that you didn’t recognise one of the key players in the our 1979/80 League winning squad!

21 hours ago, parsforlife said:

There seems to be some mad swings year to year for a lot of those teams.  I know crowds rise and fall based on teams performances all the time but for the jumps seem much larger at that time, any particular reasons?  

There was no major reshaping of the leagues during this period... only that come the end of 1921-22 the worst 2 clubs in the league (being Clackmannan + Dundee Utd) were expelled, to arrive at 2 divisions of 20.

However promotion/relegation would drastically hurt crowds in terms of visiting supports and general interest: it'd be like having a united Premiership & Championship today relegating into a united SPFL1 & SPFL2.

During period:

Albion Rovers
1921-22     Div 1     6,119
1922-23     Div 1     6,526      relegated
1923-24     Div 2     2,026
1924-25     Div 2     2,158

Alloa Athletic
1921-22     Div 2     3,868     promoted
1922-23     Div 1     4,594     relegated
1923-24     Div 2     2,227
1924-25     Div 2     2,842

Clyde
1921-22     Div 1      7,190
1922-23     Div 1      8,053
1923-24     Div 1      5,474     relegated
1924-25     Div 2      2,921

Clydebank
1921-22     Div 1     5,143     relegated
1922-23     Div 2     3,105     promoted
1923-24     Div 1     4,132     relegated
1924-25     Div 2     3,474     promoted

Cowdenbeath
1921-22     Div 2     4,026
1922-23     Div 2     4,316
1923-24     Div 2     4,842      promoted
1924-25     Div 1     9,211

Dumbarton
1921-22     Div 1     4,190     relegated
1922-23     Div 2     2,842
1923-24     Div 2     1,632
1924-25     Div 2     2,132

Queen's Park
1921-22     Div 1     12,000     relegated
1922-23     Div 2        9,158     promoted
1923-24     Div 1     11,368
1924-25     Div 1        9,632

St Johnstone
1921-22     Div 2     3,684
1922-23     Div 2     4,298
1923-24     Div 2     5,904     promoted
1924-25     Div 1     9,895

It's notable the effect feels more random with Clyde and Queen's Park, while Partick also vary quite a lot despite not going up or down (though Third Lanark don't). Maybe they were especially exposed to vagaries of scheduling, and importance or otherwise of OF visits/'big' games of their own attracting neutrals/etc.

Eric Black scoring a hat trick in a 3-1 Aberdeen win at Celtic Park in 1983, moved to France a couple of years later, a fantastic header of the ball for a guy who wasn't the tallest, pretty sure he was only in his late twenties when he had to retire after persistent back problems. 

e8Pxkxyhd9dbxrIN1zOhxg227832.jpeg

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

My understanding is that this was the correct decision under the rules of the time. The Saints player standing near the goals was definitely in an offside position.

It's a misconception that says this made the decision correct.

If it was true, play would just have needed stopped constantly when anyone stepped beyond the last defender in open play.  

The idea of 'interfering with play' mattered, and the St Mirren player on the line was doing nothing of the sort.

A deplorable decision then, now and forever.

12 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Scotland squad for the 1986 World Cup in Mexico wearing some pretty awful suits, I had no idea Arthur Albiston was such a short arse.

20230223_205106.jpg

The suits aren't helped by them seemingly being 'one-size-fits-all-but-actually-fits-none', by the front row inexplicably all buttoning up, and of course the colour, the huge SFA badge and that've pushed some of the more unphotogenic playrs to the front.

Willie Miller seems more conformtable in the suit and has wisely chosen to leave it unbuttoned.

12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If it was true, play would just have needed stopped constantly when anyone stepped beyond the last defender in open play.  

The idea of 'interfering with play' mattered, and the St Mirren player on the line was doing nothing of the sort.

I wasn't around then, but I was basing it on famous examples of disallowed goals from around the same time, specifically one from Kevin Keegan in the same year and another from Michel Platini a few years later.

Edited by craigkillie

21 hours ago, craigkillie said:

My understanding is that this was the correct decision under the rules of the time. The Saints player standing near the goals was definitely in an offside position.

12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

36 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I wasn't around then, but I was basing it on famous examples of disallowed goals from around the same time, specifically one from Kevin Keegan in the same year and another from Michel Platini a few years later.

Officials never had their heads around the 'interfering with play' thing, and it varied wildly across continental competitions and World Cups etc.

This went on even into the 21st century. Hearts' 3-0 defeat at Feyenoord in 2004 saw Feyenoord awared their first goal despite a clearly offside forward challenging for (and missing) the ball, clearly interfering with Robbie Neilson's attempts to defend it, before Hearts had an equaliser disallowed minutes later when Paul Hartley was standing nowhere near the ball, never moved towards it, and had nothing to do with the action as Kevin McKenna scored.

Two UEFA-level linesmen at opposite ends of the same pitch interpreting it differently just minutes apart. The 'interfering with play' thing was shite as there was just no consistency to it.

Feyenoord goal from 25:30, Hearts 'goal' from about 41:20.

You could possibly argue for both being disallowed. One thing you could not argue for here is Feyenoord's being given and Hearts' not. But this kind of shite is what you got relatively often.

Edited by VincentGuerin

13 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Eric Black scoring a hat trick in a 3-1 Aberdeen win at Celtic Park in 1983, moved to France a couple of years later, a fantastic header of the ball for a guy who wasn't the tallest, pretty sure he was only in his late twenties when he had to retire after persistent back problems. 

Always remember this match as it was only 3 days after my dad died, and me and my two sisters were sitting in my living room discussing what had to be done with this on the radio in the background. Eric Black was a fantastic player who should have had a lot more than his two Scotland caps. He was the epitome of a player who could hang in the air for crosses and he only played for Aberdeen and Metz and as you rightly say retired at 28 because of his back injuries.

14 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Always impressed by 6ft tall ‘tricky winger’ Peter Weir regularly supplying crosses for 5ft 8inch Eric Black to head goals past monstrous defenders.

14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

'Interfering with play' or 'seeking to gain an advantage'. I don't think there is any doubt that the St Mirren player on the line was 'seeking to gain an advantage'

12 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

'Interfering with play' or 'seeking to gain an advantage'. I don't think there is any doubt that the St Mirren player on the line was 'seeking to gain an advantage'

Ok then, every forward who ever, ever got ahead of the last defender had to be instantly given as offside.  

Sorry, that's just bollocks.  

As we can see, officials desperate to insert themselves into the story sometimes disallowed goals then, on the most spurious of grounds.  The point is though, that they chose to.  The rules absolutely did not require it, and were in fact worded in such a way as to convey that ruling out such goals was never the law's intention.

I remember that Keegan one.  It was widely regarded at the time as an atrocious decision, primarily because it was.

Revisits that pretend it was correct at the time are misreading the time altogether.