A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

A young Ronnie Glavin of Partick Thistle in 1973 who went on to have spells at Celtic and Barnsley, won a few Scotland caps, I vaguely remember him being caught up in some police related shenanigans over a sports shop he owned and something dodgy, can older posters remember this or am I going doolally?

FB_IMG_1676666159708.jpg

On 17/02/2023 at 02:02, Dundee Hibernian said:

EastStirlingshirearound1900DONE.thumb.jpg.147f57869f5ea9379a3beedc55566b8d.jpg

Finally, it wasn't until 1909 that goalkeepers had to wear a different coloured jersey from their team mates.

What would you call the boots that they are wearing, cleats? Football studs as we know them didn't come along until the mid 1920s, I believe.

The glaikit looking bloke in the front row does a fantastic impression of Mr. Spock, by the way.

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

image.png.4c626d308bd0a7d26da5f635aba66713.png

Falkirk & District Charity Cup

e.g. East Stirlingshire 1890-91:

Falkirk & District Charity Cup     Falkirk Cottage Hospital Shield     Stirlingshire Cup

1920px-East_Stirlingshire_F.C._team_1891

20150506201146!East_Stirlingshire_F.C._t

Quite an impressive array of silverware for the 'Shire.

10 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

A young Ronnie Glavin of Partick Thistle in 1973 who went on to have spells at Celtic and Barnsley, won a few Scotland caps, I vaguely remember him being caught up in some police related shenanigans over a sports shop he owned and something dodgy, can older posters remember this or am I going doolally?

FB_IMG_1676666159708.jpg

As I remember it he was charged with setting fire to a sports shop he owned - a suspected insurance job - but was found not guilty.

Still, "there's no smoke... "

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

scotlandvspain.thumb.jpg.e38499535efc34cff4d7eaf53a02d552.jpg

Two fans doing their bit for international co-operation at Scotland Women v Spain Women, Forthbank, 1998

I wonder if they ever got married?

That one on the left’s a funny-looking woman. Still would, like; I’m not prejudiced. Just a bit funny-looking. 

52 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Amazing that it reached court.

I've no recollection of that.  He went to school with my big sister which, in fairness, is possibly not all that relevant.

Probably not unless he gave her the fi...er...probably not relevant, right enough 😇

Gudmundur Torfason was sent off for sticking his fingers up at Ayr United fans.

He got booked for something else, then got a second yellow for sticking his fingers up at the fans in response to their reaction to his first booking, seconds after he had got it, with the referee still in attendance.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In the early 50s, Celtic's average home attendance was less than double Queens'.

It's more like 40-50 times as big now.

Sad time when following your local team became much less popular, and following a successful team that matches your particular branch of Christianity began.