A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

13 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Craig Brown there, with Pat Nevin in front of him. Neil Hood to Brown's left, Jim Doherty to Nevin's right? Tommy O'Neil (?) to Brown's right?

Aye, thought that was wee Nevin in the front row.  Taken at Shawfield too by the look of it - my last visit was a 3-1 win for Queens in another of those seasons where we dodged relegation with a miraculous come back late in the season.

On 14/02/2023 at 19:49, Dundee Hibernian said:

Craig Brown there, with Pat Nevin in front of him. Neil Hood to Brown's left, Jim Doherty to Nevin's right? Tommy O'Neil (?) to Brown's right?

Jim Doherty AKA Neil Warrnock ?

On 15/02/2023 at 08:23, AyrshireTon said:

A very young Warren Hawke was in the Sunderland team that night.

Roker Report Meets... SAFC FA Cup and Play-off finalist Warren Hawke! -  Roker Report

The seething pitch invasion by the home fans was hilarious.

Ah didn't realise that.

It means I was watching two future Queens players that night.

John Burridge was in goals for Newcastle.  He was already totally past it by then, but it would be another 6 years until he rocked up at Palmeston, having won the League Cup with Hibs in the meantime.

EastStirlingshirearound1900DONE.thumb.jpg.147f57869f5ea9379a3beedc55566b8d.jpg

East Stirlingshire FC, around 1900-01.

That's the Stirlingshire Cup on the left, which the 'Shire won in 1900-01, but I'm unsure what the trophy on the right is... the 'Shire were runners up in the Qualifying Cup that season. Perhaps a trophy was awarded for that feat. I'm sure someone on here may recognise that fine cup.

I've often thought the Stirlingshire Cup looks a grander looking trophy than the Scottish Cup.

Finally, it wasn't until 1909 that goalkeepers had to wear a different coloured jersey from their team mates.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian
Goalkeeper fact.

11 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

EastStirlingshirearound1900DONE.thumb.jpg.147f57869f5ea9379a3beedc55566b8d.jpg

That's the Stirlingshire Cup on the left, which the 'Shire won in 1900-01, but I'm unsure what the trophy on the right is... the 'Shire were runners up in the Qualifying Cup that season. Perhaps a trophy was awarded for that feat. I'm sure someone on here may recognise that fine cup.

I've often thought the Stirlingshire Cup looks a grander looking trophy than the Scottish Cup.

Finally, it wasn't until 1909 that goalkeepers had to wear a different coloured jersey from their team mates.

Could be the Falkirk Cottage Hospitals Shield (despite not being a shield?) which the Shire won in 1899 and 1900?

8 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Could be the Falkirk Cottage Hospitals Shield (despite not being a shield?) which the Shire won in 1899 and 1900?

The Falkirk Cottage Hospitals Shiled was a 'shield' rather than a cup.

image.thumb.jpeg.591692ed305b65ad5624a8e3352ec2e7.jpeg

Camelon (above) won it in 1902-03: the trophy started in 1889, and East Stirlingshire won it that sason (1889-90).

FCHSinstituted1889.jpg.c0ebbdd3067e83e0cc7ad9fd05359c23.jpg

Celtic played a friendly against Newcastle in the summer of 1985, the first game back at a partially rebuilt Celtic Park after the Hampden season. 

Some locals at the now demolished flats behind where the Lisbon Lions stand was to be built over the next year manage to take in the match.

IMG_20230215_215639.jpg

26 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Celtic played a friendly against Newcastle in the summer of 1985, the first game back at a partially rebuilt Celtic Park after the Hampden season. 

Some locals at the now demolished flats behind where the Lisbon Lions stand was to be built over the next year manage to take in the match.

IMG_20230215_215639.jpg

Was this not more likely to be 1995 mate ? I thought Fergus McCann was with you’s when the rebuild took place ?

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Was this not more likely to be 1995 mate ? I thought Fergus McCann was with you’s when the rebuild took place ?

Aye, typo error, 1995 obviously 

47 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I'd have thought 1995 as well, but they're definitely wearing 80s fashions.

😂👏

Clyde in 1909-10. Note the Secretary/Manager, and the Trainer. Clyde1909-10.thumb.jpg.6389b7e3fdc22bbbf2dd34d7bd16eb84.jpg

Alex Maley was younger brother of Willie Maley, Celtic manager for 43 years. Bill Struth went on to manage Rangers for 34 years, taking over from William Wilton, who had a good relationship with Willie Maley when each managed the Old Firm sides.

Struth though, did not continue on that vein, widening the (sectarian) gap which had existed in the background for a number of years. Perhaps he left Clyde on poor terms, resentful of Alex Maley for some reason. Clyde historians may throw light on that, but I don't think many look in here.

Scottish football may well have followed a different route if William Wilton hadn't drowned in a boating accident.

On 16/02/2023 at 19:02, Dundee Hibernian said:

image.png.4c626d308bd0a7d26da5f635aba66713.png

On 16/02/2023 at 19:19, Ranaldo Bairn said:

On 16/02/2023 at 19:22, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Actually scratch that, because here are the brave loons o' Camelon who won it a couple of years later.

On 16/02/2023 at 19:33, Dundee Hibernian said:

The Falkirk Cottage Hospitals Shiled was a 'shield' rather than a cup.

Camelon (above) won it in 1902-03: the trophy started in 1889, and East Stirlingshire won it that sason (1889-90).

Falkirk & District Charity Cup

e.g. East Stirlingshire 1890-91:

Falkirk & District Charity Cup     Falkirk Cottage Hospital Shield     Stirlingshire Cup

1920px-East_Stirlingshire_F.C._team_1891

20150506201146!East_Stirlingshire_F.C._t

Falkirk 1889-90:

(Falkirk had won the Cottage Hospital Shield for a local treble by scoring into an empty net after 'Shire failed to appear for the Final but the game was ordered replayed and finished 4-2 to East Stirlingshire)

Falkirk & District Charity Cup    Stirlingshire Cup

heritage+2.tif

Edited by HibeeJibee