A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I watched them in that spell.  I was a student in Newcastle at the time and was pretty much a regular.

Aitken did ok, looking a bit better than I'd ever really thought he was.  He was a Newcastle player at the time of the 1990 World Cup.  

McGhee was actually tremendous for Newcastle.  He and Mickey Quinn were a great pairing up front.  

It was the second division of course, and Newcastle reached the play-offs in 1990 before losing to Sunderland in a game that sparked a riot.  

In the Cup, they lost to Man United (possibly before Aitken joined actually) with McGhee scoring a penalty.  It was part of that run that had Ferguson on the brink of being sacked in each round until they won it, and history soon became the rest.

I particularly remember Aitken's debut.  It was against Leicester at home.  Gary McAllister put Leicester 4-2 up in about the 78th minute, before Newcastle came back to win 5-4 with McGhee scoring the winner.  Funnily enough, in the return fixture that season Leicester won 5-4 at Filbert Street.

Both players were obviously getting no younger by that stage, but McGhee really did look like a gifted footballer.   Almost as good as Dobbie.

I remember the riot game you mentioned, Sunderland were 2-0 up at St James Park after a goalless draw in the first leg at Roker Park, pretty sure the home fans invaded the pitch in an attempt to get the match abandoned and  the score wiped which, obviously was never going to happen. 

Pretty sure that was the year Sunderland lost the play off final to Swindon but ended up getting promoted by default after the Wiltshire side were found to have been in breach of some heavy financial dodgy stuff.

1 minute ago, Flybhoy said:

I remember the riot game you mentioned, Sunderland were 2-0 up at St James Park after a goalless draw in the first leg at Roker Park, pretty sure the home fans invaded the pitch in an attempt to get the match abandoned and  the score wiped which, obviously was never going to happen. 

Pretty sure that was the year Sunderland lost the play off final to Swindon but ended up getting promoted by default after the Wiltshire side were found to have been in breach of some heavy financial dodgy stuff.

Correct on all counts.

Scotland lost to Egypt at Pittodrie on the night of the Sunderland game.

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

McGhee seems to be a victim of his own managerial career. He was always great to watch as a player.

His managerial career was very promising for quite a while too, until it wasn't.

I always thought he was quite an intelligent bloke.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

McGhee seems to be a victim of his own managerial career. He was always great to watch as a player.

I remember him being a constant thorn in Celtic's side at Aberdeen as wee boy and was delighted when we signed him from Hamburg, if I remember correctly he made his debut in a 3-0 pasting at Ibrox from a pretty piss poor, pre Souness Rangers side.

His first 18 months at Celtic were pretty much a write off as he struggled with injuries and fitness, he really struggled to get in the side as Johnston and McClair rattled in goals for fun.

When they left in the summer of 1987, along with that fucking carthorse Alan McInally it left McGhee, briefly as the only recognised striker at Celtic and, although we brought in Andy Walker, Frank McAvennie and Joe Miller in the early part of that season he chipped in with some valuable goals in that centenary double winning side, bizarrely almost all of them against Hearts, he had a rather uncanny ability to always score against them in a similar quirk like Dixie Deans had for scoring against Hibernian in the 1970's.

Between 1987 and 1989 when he departed, McGhee more than made up for the first couple of years at Celtic where he contributed very little, despite never at any point really being a guaranteed first choice pick.

17 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Scotland1935.jpg.ac71f30e3ef7af8cc07734960e58a251.jpg

Back row: Massie, Anderson, Jackson, Cummings, Simpson (Cpt). Front row: Delaney, Walker, Armstrong, Brown, Mills, Duncan.

Massie and  Walker who of course, along with Bauld and Mackay are featured in the Hearts song.

19 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Correct on all counts.

Scotland lost to Egypt at Pittodrie on the night of the Sunderland game.

I was on a school football week long trip to Straubing, West Germany that week or I would've attended the Egyptian match.

We left on the Friday previous which was the eve of both the Scottish Cup (Dons vs Celtic) and the English version (Man Utd vs Crystal Palace).

Was it fate that Fergie's first trophy for his new club would coincide with Aberdeen's last Scottish Cup win?

Anyway, travelling through the night and the next day by bus and ferry, we spoke to Man Utd fans on the way down to Wembley the night before at a service station.

I had the English FA Cup replay taped, I believe it was played on the Thursday; therefore, the night after the Scotland match.

However, I aslo remember having that Newcastle vs Sunderland match on tape and watching that too...my only memories being that Sunderland won, crowd disturbances, Aitken playing, it was raining and Marco Gabbidini playing (and probably scoring).

I was in the Merkland Stand for the defeat to Egypt.  It was a real eye-opener as the crowd seemed to confidently expect a routine win.  On reflection, the defeat to Costa Rica should really have been less surprising....  

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I was on a school football week long trip to Straubing, West Germany that week or I would've attended the Egyptian match.

We left on the Friday previous which was the eve of both the Scottish Cup (Dons vs Celtic) and the English version (Man Utd vs Crystal Palace).

Was it fate that Fergie's first trophy for his new club would coincide with Aberdeen's last Scottish Cup win?

Anyway, travelling through the night and the next day by bus and ferry, we spoke to Man Utd fans on the way down to Wembley the night before at a service station.

I had the English FA Cup replay taped, I believe it was played on the Thursday; therefore, the night after the Scotland match.

However, I aslo remember having that Newcastle vs Sunderland match on tape and watching that too...my only memories being that Sunderland won, crowd disturbances, Aitken playing, it was raining and Marco Gabbidini playing (and probably scoring).

Yes, I think he scored the second goal that launched the pitch invasion.

Eric Gates, best known for his time at a good Ipswich side, scored the first.

1 hour ago, resk said:

I was in the Merkland Stand for the defeat to Egypt.  It was a real eye-opener as the crowd seemed to confidently expect a routine win.  On reflection, the defeat to Costa Rica should really have been less surprising....  

Hossam Hassan scored IIRC.

He went on to score 4 against Celtic in a European game for Neuchatel Xamax