A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 09/02/2023 at 16:44, Steve McQueen said:

1 of the few grounds I've watched games from all 4 sides of the pitch as an away fan. Tannadice the only other i can think of.

Four sides I've been to a few as some clubs have changed their away end over the years.

Celtic Park, Hampden, Firhill, Fir Park, McDairmid Stadium, Easter Road, Tynecastle, Tannadice, Pittodrie, Old Trafford, Anfield, Stadium of Light, Brockville, Rugby Park

16 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Screenshot_20230211_220130_Opera.jpg.2a6bff763581df56cb5a710d8237d9f5.jpg

The Falconbridge match. Smith was a handful for anyone but being a big battering ram type he often got fouls given against him when they should have been in his favour. Can't remember if this was given as a free kick but if it was in the box it wasn't as we definitely didn't get a penalty that day 

7 minutes ago, Eder said:

Who watched a match here?

Kilbowie Park.png

In a strange way I enjoyed visiting Kilbowie. Maybe it was because my dad always wanted to sit so we often ended up in a corner of the only stand at most away games, far from the noise of the terracing. Being "all seated" meant he could still sit somewhere and I could wander off to where the atmosphere was as long as I found my way back at half time and just before the final whistle.

8 minutes ago, Eder said:

Kilbowie Park.png

Me.

You could also watch trains, planes and automobiles in close proximity.

I only ever sat under the enclosure in the picture, but had a few pre-match pints in the Bankies club at the far end over the years.

Before the days of social media, you didn't know the team lineups in advance of the game, other than seeing who was warming up. I remember getting a few bollockings for opening the curtains to look out and see who was in the Rovers team. 

Saw a few good wins for Rovers over the years, a few more scuddings, but very rarely saw a dull game at Kilbowie.

16 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Saw a few good wins for Rovers over the years, a few more scuddings, but very rarely saw a dull game at Kilbowie.

You were lucky then. Meafowbank v Clydebank games were often tedious!

I did get in the Boys gate there when I was 21 though so I suspect I'm ultimately responsible for Clydebank's downfall for diddling them out of a fiver 

2 hours ago, Eder said:

Kilbowie Park.png

I think this was where I attended my first ever game of football.  Despite being a Motherwell fan my dad saw fit to drag me to a Clydebank vs Dundee game here, must have been around 1988 or so.

Always remember being quite excited seeing a match on when driving past, as a wee guy it was quite cool.

Edited by one m in Motherwell

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Used to go there by train to Singer station, then stop off at the Atlantis. Sometimes went to the match.

After we sealed the First Division there in glorious sunshine in 1994 (5-0 and they won fuckall...) we repaired to the Atlantis Lounge for a couple of small beverages. The Bankies there were a great bunch of lads with us.

5 hours ago, Staggie52 said:

Was at their game against Boston (Shamrock Rovers). Hibs won 6-1 which is about all I remember of the game.

July 5, 1967 Boston Rovers 1 - 6 Toronto City | SoccerStats.us

4 hours ago, Eder said:

Remains me of my first ever game at old Broomfield - around Oct 1980 - Airdrie Res 0 Rangers Res 10.

Rangers played a number of fringe players like Gregor Stevens.  The game made the back page of the Sunday Mail because of the scoreline.  I left at 0-9.

Any Rangers fans with maybe programmes from 80/1 may have reference to it.

Saturday 18th October 1980

image.png.9b8c3409acd0bff5a939644bcd98960f.png

On 03/02/2023 at 09:45, SimonLichtie said:

Will never fail to amuse me how every so often this picture pops up..... Glad I got on the pitch early on that day :D

Yours,

Louis Theroux

Never knew he was pals with Lewis Capaldi.

98E01799-8B28-4740-BD2C-2179748E740C.png

Edited by Scary Bear

23 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Mark McGhee and Roy Aitken at Newcastle in 1990.

FB_IMG_1676226943520.jpg

I watched them in that spell.  I was a student in Newcastle at the time and was pretty much a regular.

Aitken did ok, looking a bit better than I'd ever really thought he was.  He was a Newcastle player at the time of the 1990 World Cup.  

McGhee was actually tremendous for Newcastle.  He and Mickey Quinn were a great pairing up front.  

It was the second division of course, and Newcastle reached the play-offs in 1990 before losing to Sunderland in a game that sparked a riot.  

In the Cup, they lost to Man United (possibly before Aitken joined actually) with McGhee scoring a penalty.  It was part of that run that had Ferguson on the brink of being sacked in each round until they won it, and history soon became the rest.

I particularly remember Aitken's debut.  It was against Leicester at home.  Gary McAllister put Leicester 4-2 up in about the 78th minute, before Newcastle came back to win 5-4 with McGhee scoring the winner.  Funnily enough, in the return fixture that season Leicester won 5-4 at Filbert Street.

Both players were obviously getting no younger by that stage, but McGhee really did look like a gifted footballer.   Almost as good as Dobbie.