A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Stevie Maskrey of East Stirlingshire c. 1985. Notice Fine Fare bargain basement pinstriped shirt and badge on the wrong side. East Stirlingshire wwnt for this strange abstract pentagon badge for a season or two in the 80s.

Maskrey had a decent career at St. Johnstone, Killie and Thistle amongst other diddy teams. Finished at Cowden on loan in the late 90s.  Handy winger in his day.

330150959_5629674860476179_2728927806885063930_n.jpg

3 hours ago, jagfox said:

Mitchell and McCoy (you should have got him 😇) either side of JL with Jackie Husband (physio) on the right.

Jim Kerr, Lex Grant, John Brough, Jim Dempsey, Bobby Law and Bobby Watson.

Abercrombie, Dinnie, John Workman, and Chic Charnley with Gerry Collins at the back.

Mitchell and McCoy (2) got the goals in a 3-1 win. Peter Weir scored for Saints.

Did St Mirren not have an utterly horrific record against lower league opposition in the few seasons after their cup win in 1987?

Renny-Tailyour.png

This talk of Asian heritage compels me to post an image of Henry Waugh Renny-Tailyour... born at Masuri Hill Station (now Mussoorie), Uttarakhand, British India... who featured for the Royal Engineers club.

Capped for Scotland at rugby in 1872, then capped for Scotland at football in 1873 (having been previously capped in an unofficial international in 1871), won the FA Cup in 1875, played first class cricket for a decade (mostly with Kent), surveyed Sydney in New South Wales, and later ran Guinness breweries, before dying in Montrose.

He scored Scotland's first-ever international football goal.

17 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Did St Mirren not have an utterly horrific record against lower league opposition in the few seasons after their cup win in 1987?

Be quicker naming the teams that we beat rather than the ones we lost to. Next time we had a meaningful run in the cup was 2005. Won about three games or something between 1988 and 2003ish, losing to Clydebak x2, Clyde x2, etc along the way.

First League Cup game after the Scottish Cup win had fans of Second Division St Johnstone invading the pitch at Love Street after knocking us out.

Those two games with Partick Thistle were great old school cup ties, with good crowds in at both ends for the two games and the replay under the lights adding to the cup tie feel. In the first game I remember Thistle (I think Charnley) having a goal disallowed and the ref not wanting to spoil the fairytale when Paul Chalmers was taken out in the penalty box just as he was about to pull the trigger in stoppage time.

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Stevie Maskrey of East Stirlingshire c. 1985. Notice Fine Fare bargain basement pinstriped shirt and badge on the wrong side. East Stirlingshire wwnt for this strange abstract pentagon badge for a season or two in the 80s.

Maskrey had a decent career at St. Johnstone, Killie and Thistle amongst other diddy teams. Finished at Cowden on loan in the late 90s.  Handy winger in his day.

There was a period in the 'eighties where the 'Shire seemed to change their jerseys every few months. I wonder if they just took anything in club colours which Bukta could produce for them. The badge was, I think, produced for their 1881 centenary, and moved from side to side too, depending on the change of jerseys.

41 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Renny-Tailyour.png

This talk of Asian heritage compels me to post an image of Henry Waugh Renny-Tailyour... born at Masuri Hill Station (now Mussoorie), Uttarakhand, British India... who featured for the Royal Engineers club.

Capped for Scotland at rugby in 1872, then capped for Scotland at football in 1873 (having been previously capped in an unofficial international in 1871), won the FA Cup in 1875, played first class cricket for a decade (mostly with Kent), surveyed Sydney in New South Wales, and later ran Guinness breweries, before dying in Montrose.

He scored Scotland's first-ever international football goal.

What a great sice of history, @HibeeJibee!

2 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

He was decent with us before doing well at St Johnstone.

Geordie Shaw getting one of his four goals in an exciting win for Thistle over Dundee at Firhill in 92/93. 

Jim Leighton getting megged but he was a bit bandy legged, tbf.

Jim Duffy and Alan Dinnie (getting shoved by Gerry Britton) in the dark blue. Britton and Shaw would move to Dundee.

FB_IMG_1676058821044.thumb.jpg.4e03b0a8d88079e6d095363806520c74.jpg

6 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

A hero to my Saints supporting mate at school who said he was nicknamed "Zorro" after his mazy Z shaped runs into the box 

I thought he played some Junior football after Cowden- he seemed to have a long career anyway.

15 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I studied engineering at Stow College in Glasgow with Jim Rodger, he worked in Singers in Clydebank - he was a smashing guy.

He's a friend of a friend, so I bump into him now and again. Always happy to go down memory lane with anyone. I met Kenny Ashwood in Tenerife last week, he still looks like he could play.

Friend of the stars me.

7 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

He's a friend of a friend, so I bump into him now and again. Always happy to go down memory lane with anyone. I met Kenny Ashwood in Tenerife last week, he still looks like he could play.

Friend of the stars me.

The with or without beard one? He was never as good when he shaved his beard off.

Nor a photo but a tale of the sports room back in the day when a potential "sensational story" never actually happened. By Alex Gordon.

Spoiler

ALL the speculation concerning Ange Postecoglou and a shift across the border prompted me to recall an evening back in the summer of 1971 when another Celtic manager seemed to be on the wanted list of every club in the universe.
I was a sub-editor at the Daily Record at the time. I knocked out this story for a Celtic magazine this morning and I hope you don't mind me repeating on this excellent site with so many knowledgeable members.
This is a tale that never saw the light of day, but I can assure you it is factually accurate.
Please enjoy.
THIS may surprise you, but Jock Stein never had a contract with Celtic during his 13 years as manager.
It was an unusual situation which suited the legendary team boss who had also worked without such a document at previous clubs Dunfermline and Hibs.

It left the manager with the freedom to walk away any time he so desired. He joined the Fifers in 1960 and quit four years later for Easter Road. He remained in Edinburgh for only 10 months before he answered the call to rejoin Celtic to take over from another club icon, Jimmy McGrory, in March 1965.

Stein had enough faith in his ability to work without the safety net of a signed piece of paper tucked away at the back of the secretary's safe at Celtic Park.

When Big Jock broke down all the barriers during his phenomenal impact at Celtic, including, of course, guiding the team to the historic European Cup triumph in Lisbon on the unforgettable evening of May 25 1967, he became one of the hottest properties in world football.

Make no mistake about, Jock Stein could have gone anywhere - and I mean anywhere.

Agents were not as plentiful as they are today, but the Celtic boss had a raft of journalists who happily did his bidding. One of Jock's friends in the Press was Hugh Taylor, the main sportswriter at the Daily Record.

Somehow, I managed to get a post on the newspaper's sports desk when I was sixteen years old. Perhaps that's a story for another day, but I was there when I was made aware of the kinsmanship between the Celtic manager and our top sports reporter.

There was a bond of trust between the two men. Jock was also aware that Hugh's affilation was to neither of the Glasgow giants, but his heart lay at Kilmarnock. I used to have a laugh at the amount of times irate fans would send Hugh letters - no emails back then, of course - calling him all sorts of names, most of them unprintable, accusing him of allegiances to Celtic or Rangers.

Jock would often phone Hugh at the sports desk with all sorts of little nudges in the direction of a good story. The Celtic boss was the go-to man back then. Chairmen at other clubs would often seek him out for advice on individuals they were pondering bringing to their club.

Every now and again, when it was clear the story was about to break, Jock would give Hugh a head's up. Likewise, our man would get in touch with the Celtic gaffer if he came across something he thought he should be aware of. It was a two-way street, two excellent professionals in tandem and mutally beneficial.

Back in June 1971, after Stein had led Celtic to their sixth successive championship, the newspaper had been alerted to the very real prospect of the manager leaving the club.

It was all hush-hush, of course, and Hugh knew he had the story to himself. I was nineteen at the time and sports editor Jack Adams had begun to give me more responsibility. He took me aside and told me I would be on call throughout the evening.

Nine o'clock was the usual cut-off time for the editorial to get the last copy to a department known as the caseroom which is where the compositors worked in putting the pages together before the formes were sent to the machine room and then a button was pushed and the presses rolled.

In normal circumstances, the first edition would then be on the streets of Glasgow at 10pm and readers were informed what was going on in the world. Those were the days when there were genuine exclusive stories, when one newspaper could trump their rivals.

A break for the sports desk sub-editors, of which I was one, was between 9pm and 10pm and then we were back at the desk for the next edition of the paper, usually Aberdeen, then Perth, onto Edinburgh and so on until we came back to the final edition in Glasgow.

There was to be no visit to the pub that evening in June 1971 for your truly. I had been informed Jock Stein was at Old Trafford for talks with his old friend Matt Busby, a kindered spirit who, like Jock, had been a miner in an earlier occupation.

Busby, at the age of 62, was looking for his own replacement as manager of Manchester United. He had originally left the post in June 1969, a year after leading the club to their European Cup victory, to become director.

Wilf McGuinness stepped up from reserve team manager as Busby's successor. McGuinness was only 31 at the time and the job overpowered him to the extent he was relieved of his duties six months later with Busby returning to the dug-out.

However, the Scot, a survivor of the Munich Air Disaster, was determined to concentrate on matters at boardroom level and once again the search was on for a replacement.

Jock Stein, then fifty years of age, was the man Busby wanted. Without the hindrance of a contract or a compensation claim from Celtic, the manager could have made the switch with effortless ease.

Desmond White was the newly-appointed Celtic chairman at the time, taking over from Robert Kelly, who had held the post from March 1947 until April 1971.

White was aware of Stein's visit that evening to Manchester. Privately, he told Hugh Taylor: "We won't stand in his way. Jock can make up his own mind."

It was almost a matter-of-fact dismissal of an occurrence that would have brought extraordinary repercussions to the club and its worldwide base of supporters.

If you ever met Desond White, you would have not been surprised by this stance. "No individual is bigger than Celtic Football Club," was his oft-repeated mantra.

The first edition of the newspaper came and went that evening with no sign of a massive story. We had a mocked-up back page poised to go. I recall the headline was: STEIN SENSATION.

The banner line never saw the light of day. The financial package offered by Manchester United could only match that of Celtic where the manager could expect monetary rewards for achieving silverware. The United offer was heavily weighed on the Old Trafford club winning trophies.

Jock's conceit in his own talents was such that he would have backed himself to be successful across the border. And, as we all know, the Celtic manager enjoyed a flutter.

Another important factor to be considered was his wife Jean's reluctance to leave Scotland. It should be noted that Jean did not accompany her husband when he joined Leeds United in August 1978. Mind you, Jock only popped into Elland Road for 44 days before returning back across the border to take over as manager of Scotland.

If I remember correctly, it was around 10.30pm when Hugh was given the news that Jock Stein would not be leaving Celtic to become Manchester United gaffer.

Later that night, Desmond White spoke to Hugh Taylor and said blithely: "I didn't think Jock would leave Celtic. He's made the right decision."

The drama came and went and the Celtic supporters were none the wiser. A bonafide, blockbuster exclusive story was chucked into the bin.

Big Jock once said: "Unlike many other Celts, I cannot claim that Celtic was my first love… but I can say that it will be my last love.”

On a June evening in 1971, Jock Stein proved to be a man of his word.

Fergie and John Greig leading the teams out for the 1982 Scottish Cup final which Aberdeen won against Rangers 4-1 in extra time, most people will instantly associate this game with Alex McCleish curling a beauty into the top corner from 20 yards or even Neale Cooper doing a roly poly after smashing the final goal into an empty net but, personally I just always see Gordon Strachan celebrating his goal with blood streaming down his face from a burst nose. 

FB_IMG_1676207047877.jpg

On 09/02/2023 at 19:49, Flybhoy said:

Airdrie v Rangers in 1981, the late Colin McAdam is the Rangers player, brother of Celtic's Tom, unsure of the Airdrie players. 

FB_IMG_1675795771989.jpg

Remains me of my first ever game at old Broomfield - around Oct 1980 - Airdrie Res 0 Rangers Res 10.

Rangers played a number of fringe players like Gregor Stevens.  The game made the back page of the Sunday Mail because of the scoreline.  I left at 0-9.

Any Rangers fans with maybe programmes from 80/1 may have reference to it.

15 minutes ago, Eder said:

Remains me of my first ever game at old Broomfield - around Oct 1980 - Airdrie Res 0 Rangers Res 10.

Rangers played a number of fringe players like Gregor Stevens.  The game made the back page of the Sunday Mail because of the scoreline.  I left at 0-9.

Any Rangers fans with maybe programmes from 80/1 may have reference to it.

Strange choice of match for a Celtic fan.

On 09/02/2023 at 16:44, Steve McQueen said:

1 of the few grounds I've watched games from all 4 sides of the pitch as an away fan. Tannadice the only other i can think of.

Four sides I've been to a few as some clubs have changed their away end over the years.

Celtic Park, Hampden, Firhill, Fir Park, McDairmid Stadium, Easter Road, Tynecastle, Tannadice, Pittodrie, Old Trafford, Anfield, Stadium of Light, Brockville, Rugby Park