A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

One of the finest players ive seen in a Celtic shirt, just a pity we only signed him aged 33, still got a few fantastic seasons from him with moments like this, his double in a 3-0 hunskelping at Ibrox in Martin O'Neill's first season at Celtic. 

IMG_20230209_201352.jpg

17 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Celtic getting ready to kick off at Elland Road in the first leg of the 1970 European Cup semi final, the referee requested Celtic change socks as there was apparently too much white in both kits, Leeds, rather mischievously handed Celtic these bright orange ones, possibly by coincidence or possibly for a bit of a wind up, either way they soon worked wonders, George Connolly scoring after less than a minute, the only goal of the game and Celtic won the return at Hampden 2-1.

FB_IMG_1675884343153.jpg

According to that biography by Archie MacPherson, Leeds offered them the choice of red or blue socks.  Stein allegedly said "we'll wear the red stockings.  Under their floodlights they'll show up more orange than red and our supporters will think we're wearing the colours of the Irish tricolour. That'll please them."

Always thought Stein was a bit of a knob.

24 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Celtic getting ready to kick off at Elland Road in the first leg of the 1970 European Cup semi final, the referee requested Celtic change socks as there was apparently too much white in both kits, Leeds, rather mischievously handed Celtic these bright orange ones, possibly by coincidence or possibly for a bit of a wind up, either way they soon worked wonders, George Connolly scoring after less than a minute, the only goal of the game and Celtic won the return at Hampden 2-1.

FB_IMG_1675884343153.jpg

AS I recall Leeds never handed the socks to Celtic, a backroom staff member was sent out to a sports shop and the only socks available in enough numbers were the orange ones.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Jim March, maybe Jim Rodger, Ian Gordon. Don't think that's Harry Erwin though. Must be around 1981.

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

That was my initial thought.

He'd be very young then as he had a few years at Dunfermline before he arrived at Stark's Park. I'm sure he was only about 27 when he took the decision to call time on his career due to injury.

A very decent player in Rovers 86/87 promotion winning team.

I thought it looked a it scruffy for Ian Gordon at first. I was at it. McAdam scored on his debut and Tommy Walker (my old teacher and football coach) equalised and finished one each.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Jim March, maybe Jim Rodger, Ian Gordon. Don't think that's Harry Erwin though. Must be around 1981.

That’ll be the same Harry Erwin who ended his career with a spell in the Juniors,  with Linlithgow and my local team Bonnyrigg.

35 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I thought it looked a it scruffy for Ian Gordon at first. I was at it. McAdam scored on his debut and Tommy Walker (my old teacher and football coach) equalised and finished one each.

There was an opening league game in August 1980 where Erwin played and Walker scored. McAdam made his debut but the Rangers scorer was John MacDonald.

They also met in January 1981 in another 1-1 draw. Airdrie led through an Alex Miller o.g. before Dawson scored with about 20 mins left. 3 weeks later Rangers visited again in the Cup and won 5-0. I was at those two games.

Edited by The Mantis

20 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

That’ll be the same Harry Erwin who ended his career with a spell in the Juniors,  with Linlithgow and my local team Bonnyrigg.

There was an opening league game in August 1980 where Erwin played and Walker scored. McAdam made his debut but the Rangers scorer was John MacDonald.

They also met in January 1981 in another 1-1 draw. Airdrie led through an Alex Miller o.g. before Dawson scored with about 20 mins left. 3 weeks later Rangers visited again in the Cup and won 5-0. I was at those two games.

You might be right now you say. I was at them all. Stand for the first one, then sloping my Dad for the terracing. The cup was a sore one, fancied our chances!

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You might be right now you say. I was at them all. Stand for the first one, then sloping my Dad for the terracing. The cup was a sore one, fancied our chances!

I’ve ended up watching the cup highlights now after a search to try and confirm the scorer but I have 2 other sources although one might be cribbing off the other. A reminder that Archie was a truly terrible commentator.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

According to that biography by Archie MacPherson, Leeds offered them the choice of red or blue socks.  Stein allegedly said "we'll wear the red stockings.  Under their floodlights they'll show up more orange than red and our supporters will think we're wearing the colours of the Irish tricolour. That'll please them."

Always thought Stein was a bit of a knob.

I may be wrong, but Celtic would have conceded the game rather than wear blue. 

Edited by Piquet

16 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Former Celtic midfielder Paul Wilson pictured during his spell with Partick Thistle, the first high profile player of Asian heritage in Scottish football at the time I believe, had a Scottish father and an Indian mother, by all accounts took a lot of shit which, sadly wasn't seen as a big deal at the time. 

IMG_20230208_115129.jpg

Good post mate. He was actually born in Bangalore when his dad was stationed there.

17 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Former Celtic midfielder Paul Wilson pictured during his spell with Partick Thistle, the first high profile player of Asian heritage in Scottish football at the time I believe, had a Scottish father and an Indian mother, by all accounts took a lot of shit which, sadly wasn't seen as a big deal at the time. 

IMG_20230208_115129.jpg

chigurh.jpg.2563f5f162e555d7e0664ce5987ba7c2.jpg