A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

5 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Think their dad was a sailor?

Joe was in the 40 man squad for England's 66 World Cup squad,never made the final 22 and never played for them again.

The Fabulous Baker BroThers article.

Does it have the story of his taxi driver phoning the polis when Joe gave his required destination as the england team h.q. ?

15 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Does it have the story of his taxi driver phoning the polis when Joe gave his required destination as the england team h.q. ?

Aye, although may be apocryphal 😂

13 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Sad to see Billy Thomson gone, and as @tamthebam says, 'he was a pretty good goalie'. Strangely, never capped after he moved east, Billy took a while to finally displace Hamish, but some brilliant performances stick in my mind, including while badly injured in the UEFA Cup Final and a semi final against local rivals Dundee in 1987.

I also recall about 10 years later Billy turning out for Dundee and turning in a fantastic performace as the Dee knocked United out on penalties at Tannadice in a League Cup tie.

BT.thumb.jpg.5b3c6665a48fb2936a96ca0a0114232c.jpg

Billy was possibly responsible for a stack of young lads cutting the bottoms of their trackies and tucking the remnants into their socks to emulate their hero 'Billy the Fish'.

RIP.

I always thought that after Leighton departed Aberdeen , Thomson was for me the best Scottish goalkeeper in the division, 

And I also find it strange why he was never picked for the national side when at Tannadice 

6 hours ago, Willie adie said:

I always thought that after Leighton departed Aberdeen , Thomson was for me the best Scottish goalkeeper in the division, 

And I also find it strange why he was never picked for the national side when at Tannadice 

I heard the question of Thomson's lack of involvement with the national team being put to Andy Roxburgh, in person. Roxburgh gave a kind of cryptic answer, saying that there were, quote "reasons for his non inclusion" and reminding us that Jock Stein had originally "jettisoned him", in Roxburgh's words.

22 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I heard the question of Thomson's lack of involvement with the national team being put to Andy Roxburgh, in person. Roxburgh gave a kind of cryptic answer, saying that there were, quote "reasons for his non inclusion" and reminding us that Jock Stein had originally "jettisoned him", in Roxburgh's words.

So still none the wiser 

Former Celtic midfielder Paul Wilson pictured during his spell with Partick Thistle, the first high profile player of Asian heritage in Scottish football at the time I believe, had a Scottish father and an Indian mother, by all accounts took a lot of shit which, sadly wasn't seen as a big deal at the time. 

IMG_20230208_115129.jpg

Celtic getting ready to kick off at Elland Road in the first leg of the 1970 European Cup semi final, the referee requested Celtic change socks as there was apparently too much white in both kits, Leeds, rather mischievously handed Celtic these bright orange ones, possibly by coincidence or possibly for a bit of a wind up, either way they soon worked wonders, George Connolly scoring after less than a minute, the only goal of the game and Celtic won the return at Hampden 2-1.

FB_IMG_1675884343153.jpg

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

3rd one could be Ian Gordon...maybe.

That was my initial thought.

He'd be very young then as he had a few years at Dunfermline before he arrived at Stark's Park. I'm sure he was only about 27 when he took the decision to call time on his career due to injury.

A very decent player in Rovers 86/87 promotion winning team.

One of the finest players ive seen in a Celtic shirt, just a pity we only signed him aged 33, still got a few fantastic seasons from him with moments like this, his double in a 3-0 hunskelping at Ibrox in Martin O'Neill's first season at Celtic. 

IMG_20230209_201352.jpg