A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

27 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

On the contrary: it's in Scotland.

I don't think it's held a formal game for decades, but I've a clipping about a match played on it about 40yrs ago which I'll post once somebody gets the village.

Was the monument thing in place for this 40 year old match?

At the tail end of Meadowbank's existence Thistle played a friendly (I think it was at Whitestone Park, Peebles) where part of the pitch had been roped off as grass seed had been put down (it may have been to do with the cricket which gets played at Whitestone).

Almost as farcical as Blobby Hunter's attempts at running a football club. 

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I love that these hearings were filled with laughter.

The Dundee Courier loves its stage directions (they're in court reports as well).  I wonder how much of them came from the Dundee rep M'Culloch, who seems to have been something of a stand-up in these meetings.  E.g. when a team from Wick applied to join the SFA in 1889 he suggested that, given the Scottish Cup was still regionalised in the first rounds, they be given a region to themselves.

I've found out why Jamestown protested Vale of Leven Hibs in 1888 - the previous year's tie had been somewhat contentious...Jamestown won 3-2, the game was replayed (twice) after a Hibs protest about rough play, and, after Jamestown finally got through, there was an outbreak of rowdyism that night...

The_Courier_and_Argus_Wed__Sep_14__1887_.jpg

Paisley_Daily_Express_Thu__Sep_29__1887_.jpg

14 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

I've found out why Jamestown protested Vale of Leven Hibs in 1888 - the previous year's tie had been somewhat contentious...Jamestown won 3-2, the game was replayed (twice) after a Hibs protest about rough play, and, after Jamestown finally got through, there was an outbreak of rowdyism that night...

The_Courier_and_Argus_Wed__Sep_14__1887_.jpg

Paisley_Daily_Express_Thu__Sep_29__1887_.jpg

The Vale of Leven, a place you can walk for 3-1/2 miles and never leave the scene of the crime.

thomson.jpg.a694c4e153409436a07a8de68ffb05dd.jpg

The late, great Billy Thomson. 

I can remember Thomson playing for Dundee United (by which time Hamish the Goalie had departed for Raith Rovers) and what I can remember of seeing him live and on the telly he was a pretty good goalie. 

Wikipedia says he played once for Partick Thistle before going to St Mirren. 

1 hour ago, Piquet said:

I saw a history of Annfield at this link:

https://readtheleague.com/the-big-feature/gone-grounds-annfiel

Footnotes (Tam the Bam style):

1) Tom Fergusson tried to buy the grandstand from the defunct St Bernards but post war rationing restrictions prevented it from being moved from Edinburgh to Stirling. It was to move to Old Meadowbank where Leith Athletic played and was demolished in 1968 when the Commonwealth Stadium was built. 

2) The last game on grass at Annfield* was in May 1987 when Stirling beat Meadowbank Thistle 3-1. Meadowbank were promoted though as results went their way elsewhere. This was also the young TTB's first away trip. He was impressed (?) by the six foot nettles growing out of the urinals... 

*Scottish League game anyway. I'm sure someone said there was a Reserve East League game after or something. 

Joe and Gerry Baker. They were brought up in Scotland, with Scottish parents but due to laws at the time were unable to represent Scotland and played for England and USA, respectively.

FB_IMG_1675751889677.jpg.ed93c4fb2ecc32b7f705c42b63b5fb79.jpg

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Joe and Gerry Baker. They were brought up in Scotland, with Scottish parents but due to laws at the time were unable to represent Scotland and played for England and USA, respectively.

There is a highly recommended book about them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1909715336/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?ie=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Fabulous!

5D12B1C6-6E67-414B-BF99-A2CBAD443716.thumb.jpeg.efcdc09f7982b6b3b528bb41664377dc.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Interesting article indeed. Confirms FA rules, at the time, were players represented the country of their birth. I wonder when that changed?

49 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Interesting article indeed. Confirms FA rules, at the time, were players represented the country of their birth. I wonder when that changed?

There were different rules depending on where you played your football. 

For many many years the “Home Nations” adopted different rules to other countries. 

For us it’s quite a recent change that allows grandparents birthplace to allow for nationality. 

We now have a situation that was probably never considered where someone is eligible through grandparents to play for the national team and earn loads of caps but their kids are ineligible as they were born “abroad”. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_eligibility_rules

Sad to see Billy Thomson gone, and as @tamthebam says, 'he was a pretty good goalie'. Strangely, never capped after he moved east, Billy took a while to finally displace Hamish, but some brilliant performances stick in my mind, including while badly injured in the UEFA Cup Final and a semi final against local rivals Dundee in 1987.

I also recall about 10 years later Billy turning out for Dundee and turning in a fantastic performace as the Dee knocked United out on penalties at Tannadice in a League Cup tie.

BT.thumb.jpg.5b3c6665a48fb2936a96ca0a0114232c.jpg

Billy was possibly responsible for a stack of young lads cutting the bottoms of their trackies and tucking the remnants into their socks to emulate their hero 'Billy the Fish'.

RIP.

12 hours ago, jagfox said:

A heartbreaking change from losing  talent to drink , gambling whatever.

IIRC their father was in the army.

Joe Baker did o.k. for england but it was the time of Greavsie et al