A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

jg-callendar-39.jpg?w=475

The brand new Grandstand at Brockville Park, picture taken on its grand opening in 1928.

jg-callendar-40.jpg?w=420

The new turnstiles at Hope Street which were erected at the same time.

jg-callendar-41.jpg?w=395

Mrs Waugh, the fearsome looking wife of Chairman Robert Waugh, receiving a silver key to mark the opening from architect Mr Callander.

Pics from this article https://falkirklocalhistory.club/people/james-g-callander/grandstand/

Berwick's stand, as shown above, was bought second hand from Valley Parade, home of Bradford City. I've seen a photo of Valley Parade with the particular stand in it.

Berwick previously played at Old Shielfield, currently the home of Tweedmouth Rangers, and which backs onto New Shielfield for those who have never enjoyed the delights of a visit to Berwick Rangers (or Tweedmouth)

Oof, what a day that was. Lunchtime ko on a Sunday,  no trains so replacement bus, numerous cans of Stella for breakfast, Diane's for more pre-match libations, a shite 0-0 draw, taking over some pub in Stockbridge post-match.

Saints fined £25k for having one too few u21 outfield players, won the replay 3-0.

On 01/02/2023 at 08:04, O'Kelly Isley III said:

A Pinterest find of what appears to be a pretty routine day at Gayfield.  Louis Theroux is out of his box in the foreground whilst a hardy but lardy visitor from Forfar is sporting what appears to be a pair of Loons branded budgie smugglers.

Gayfield.PNG

Will never fail to amuse me how every so often this picture pops up..... Glad I got on the pitch early on that day :D

Yours,

Louis Theroux

10 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

A couple more of City Park, minus the Main Stand, that I took at Spartans v St Mirren on 5th Feb 2006.

The free view from the street outside and the grassy slope of the away section, taken while I was still incognito, having got in with a home end ticket.

spartansfreeview.jpg.d6305490c1b0b61c01e9e452d2677ab2.jpg

In the foreground is that the fence your chairman Stewart Gilmour claimed to have scaled in trying to argue the venue was unfit or was that the wall to the right?

10 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

In the foreground is that the fence your chairman Stewart Gilmour claimed to have scaled in trying to argue the venue was unfit or was that the wall to the right?

There was a meeting with the cops and other interested parties and they were only allowed to stage the game there on condition that the away ticket allocation was increased by 150% and the height of the perimeter fence was raised so that you couldn't just easily step over it like Gilmour did.

The wooden bit on the right is the start of the extra fencing that was put up. The metal fence is the boundary of the adjacent disused railway/footpath, and whole host of people watched the game from there too.

53 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

They always struck me as egg chasers' houses

Funnily enough, Scotland were playing France the same day we played at City Park and Spartans were pitching their hospitality as a double header with watching the egg chasing on TV, which obviously received the appropriate derision.

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's magnificent.  Is it real?  Where is this gem to be found?  I'm guessing it's somewhere in England if genuine.

I want Morris dancers gamboling around that Maypole while a match is in progress.

On the contrary: it's in Scotland.

I don't think it's held a formal game for decades, but I've a clipping about a match played on it about 40yrs ago which I'll post once somebody gets the village.