A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 07/01/2023 at 17:30, HibeeJibee said:

Name the stadiums under construction:

(9)

D5be5i4WkAEioRK?format=jpg&name=medium

Taken on 31 July 1971 just before the start of our Drybrough Cup tie v Celtic. 

On 21/01/2023 at 10:37, Boghead ranter said:

Possibly Stevie 'Snowy' Morrison up front for Shire?

You missed ex Son Alan Bennett in that line-up.

I visited Cliftonhill for the first time in years earlier in the season and wondered where they'd crammed in a record crowd of over 27,000 in 1936, but this picture from that same year indictes the possibility.

1967261717_Cliftonhill1936.thumb.jpg.7f4acb804497668ef92073351f322464.jpg

A bit of a clearer image from 1950 shows the extensive footprint: Rovers must have sold off a huge parcel of land at some point.

1849841124_Cliftonhill1950.thumb.jpg.2a393f22b74fb53e627a66ff79172f21.jpg

6 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I visited Cliftonhill for the first time in years earlier in the season and wondered where they'd crammed in a record crowd of over 27,000 in 1936, but this picture from that same year indictes the possibility.

1967261717_Cliftonhill1936.thumb.jpg.7f4acb804497668ef92073351f322464.jpg

A bit of a clearer image from 1950 shows the extensive footprint: Rovers must have sold off a huge parcel of land at some point.

1849841124_Cliftonhill1950.thumb.jpg.2a393f22b74fb53e627a66ff79172f21.jpg

Interesting to compare that ground size wise to Lochee Utd's ground.

On 26/01/2023 at 21:05, HibeeJibee said:

Airdrie once beat them 4-2 in Texaco Cup!

Almost a full strength City side in the 2-2 first leg at Maine Road - Healey, Book, Donachie, Doyle, Booth, Jeffries, Summerbee, Towers, Davies, Brennan, Mellor – subs Lee(45), Corrigan(45)

Cliftonhill has huge grounds around it. Surprised the spaces behind each goal have not been developed for housing and leisure.  There could be gyms and other sport facilities incorporated into the area. 

The side to the left of the stand is on a hilly bank would cost a bit to level and I suppose is the reason.

The area behind the covered terrace has a development of flats.  I bought one in 1998 when they were built unfortunately it was a ground floor flat and I couldn't see the pitch.

14 hours ago, billyg said:

Almost a full strength City side in the 2-2 first leg at Maine Road - Healey, Book, Donachie, Doyle, Booth, Jeffries, Summerbee, Towers, Davies, Brennan, Mellor – subs Lee(45), Corrigan(45)

Attracted a sizeable crowd of neutrals that night.

Me being one of them.

14 hours ago, Eder said:

The area behind the covered terrace has a development of flats.  I bought one in 1998 when they were built unfortunately it was a ground floor flat and I couldn't see the pitch.

Your flat must have been more expensive than the others for that reason then ...

7 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

A Pinterest find of what appears to be a pretty routine day at Gayfield.  Louis Theroux is out of his box in the foreground whilst a hardy but lardy visitor from Forfar is sporting what appears to be a pair of Loons branded budgie smugglers.

Gayfield.PNG

Arbroath winning the Division 2 title at Gayfield v. Montrose IIRC.

2 minutes ago, VillaKnollBoy said:

Arbroath winning the Division 2 title at Gayfield v. Montrose IIRC.

Yep, beat Montrose 4-1 to win our first ever league title in 2011.  If I’m correct that’s weel kent Arbroath fan  SimonLichtie in the specks.

Even though it was late April, it was a pretty miserable day so don’t know what the feck Speedo boy was up to. Love the reaction to him by the guys on the terrace. 

15 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Yep, beat Montrose 4-1 to win our first ever league title in 2011.  If I’m correct that’s weel kent Arbroath fan  SimonLichtie in the specks.

Even though it was late April, it was a pretty miserable day so don’t know what the feck Speedo boy was up to. Love the reaction to him by the guys on the terrace. 

It's a fantastic photograph.  

It's appeared here before and it's an all time classic.

On 01/02/2023 at 08:04, O'Kelly Isley III said:

A Pinterest find of what appears to be a pretty routine day at Gayfield.  Louis Theroux is out of his box in the foreground whilst a hardy but lardy visitor from Forfar is sporting what appears to be a pair of Loons branded budgie smugglers.

Gayfield.PNG

That lad in the swimming pants went on to become 'Big Jack Horner' in Puss in Boots: The Last Wish released tomorrow in the UK:

BJH.jpg.53f4bedee878cbb1e768d25ca57ad9ce.jpg