A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

6 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

That top photo is a great photo.  

I've lived next to Paisley since 1961 and don't remember these flats at all - I only remember the ones that are in the bottom picture.

When were they knocked down?

I believe the first demolition in the area took place in 1988. I don' t know specifically when the buildings on the stadium footprint went, but I would imagine it was by the mid 1990s.

The top picture is cropped. The original covers a much bigger area and if you click the fullscreen option on it you can really zoom in and get great detail.

Original is here: https://canmore.org.uk/collection/1269096  

16 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I believe the first demolition in the area took place in 1988. I don' t know specifically when the buildings on the stadium footprint went, but I would imagine it was by the mid 1990s.

The top picture is cropped. The original covers a much bigger area and if you click the fullscreen option on it you can really zoom in and get great detail.

Original is here: https://canmore.org.uk/collection/1269096  

Cheers, that's a great photo.   I see what I presume is the old St James railway station buildings. 

I played football near there in the 70s several times and have no recollection at all of these flats.

9 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Was there not a time when Rangers boycotted them because they were sponsored by McEwan's at the time?

Gosh, would they be that petty...

I think Gers did pull out one year and Nottingham Forest replaced them.

I used to quite like watching the Sixes on TV as a lad and can remember Hearts and Hibs winning (at a time when both clubs had won f*ck all for years).

Now I'd probably think it was a load of pish 

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

I used to quite like watching the Sixes on TV as a lad and can remember Hearts and Hibs winning (at a time when both clubs had won f*ck all for years).

They did indeed refuse to participate for a couple of years, like you say it was pretty common knowledge to be down to their McEwans Lager sponsorship, Nottingham Forest participated one year, pretty sure I recall Manchester City in it at one point as well. 

Celtic didn't participate the first three years of it either for some reason, no idea why, my abiding memory of Celtic's involvement was Tony Cascarino bizarrely scoring a load of goals the one year we lifted the coveted trophy, only for him to depart for Chelsea not long after, obviously ending his Celtic days as a winner. 

Stop laughing now...

Anglo Scots (dark shirts) v Home Scots in 1920.

155549760_AngloScotsvHomeScotsTrialMatchGroup30March1920.thumb.jpg.678f0a9a2e87c3cc8b94679f2cc66aba.jpg

Back row, l to r:
Don McKinlay (Liverpool), Jock Marshall (Middlesbrough), James Thomson (St. Mirren), David McLean (Bradford PA),  Jock Ewart (Bradford City), Jock Paterson (Leicester City), Peter Pursell (Port Vale), Jack Miller (Liverpool)

Middle row:
James Scott (Dumbarton), Robert McGrory (Dumbarton), Jock Finlay (Newcastle United), goalkeeper Thomas Blair (Kilmarnock), Alex. Gillespie (Ayr United), David “Napper” Thomson (Dundee), William Aitken (Port Vale)

Front row:
Referee A. A. Jackson, Arthur Lochhead (Heart of Midlothian), James Walker (Third Lanark), John Crosbie (Ayr United), George Sinclair (Heart of Midlothian), William Rankin (Motherwell), Alex. Troup (Dundee)

Wilf Low (Newcastle United) has been cut out of the picture (middle row, left). Also note, James Thomson of St. Mirren lined up for the Anglos, as Chelsea's Bobby McNeil called off.

Game played at Cathkin Park, home Scots won 2-1 courtesy of goals from Rankin and Crosbie. The Anglo's scorer was Paterson.

35 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

155549760_AngloScotsvHomeScotsTrialMatchGroup30March1920.thumb.jpg.678f0a9a2e87c3cc8b94679f2cc66aba.jpg

Back row, l to r:
Don McKinlay (Liverpool), Jock Marshall (Middlesbrough), James Thomson (St. Mirren), David McLean (Bradford PA),  Jock Ewart (Bradford City), Jock Paterson (Leicester City), Peter Pursell (Port Vale), Jack Miller (Liverpool)

Middle row:
James Scott (Dumbarton), Robert McGrory (Dumbarton), Jock Finlay (Newcastle United), goalkeeper Thomas Blair (Kilmarnock), Alex. Gillespie (Ayr United), David “Napper” Thomson (Dundee), William Aitken (Port Vale)

Front row:
Referee A. A. Jackson, Arthur Lochhead (Heart of Midlothian), James Walker (Third Lanark), John Crosbie (Ayr United), George Sinclair (Heart of Midlothian), William Rankin (Motherwell), Alex. Troup (Dundee)

Wilf Low (Newcastle United) has been cut out of the picture (middle row, left). Also note, James Thomson of St. Mirren lined up for the Anglos, as Chelsea's Bobby McNeil called off.

Game played at Cathkin Park, home Scots won 2-1 courtesy of goals from Rankin and Crosbie. The Anglo's scorer was Paterson.

I notice a certain two Scottish clubs weren't represented in the home line up.

I wonder why?

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I wonder why?

Thistle were too focused on their Scottish cup campaign...

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

32 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I wonder why?

So worthwhile was the exercise that when the squad to face England got announced - 24hrs later - it included 5 players from Celtic, Rangers (with 2), Queen's Park and Dunfermline... none of whom had featured at all!

Rankin of Motherwell was taken - as a reserve - plus 4 of 'Anglos'.

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

So worthwhile was the exercise that when the squad to face England got announced - 24hrs later - it included 5 players from Celtic, Rangers (with 2), Queen's Park and Dunfermline... none of whom had featured at all!

Rankin of Motherwell was taken - as a reserve - plus 4 of 'Anglos'.

Surely the SFA of 1920 didn't set up some nonsense friendly to fleece the public.... :whistle

10 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Back row, l to r:

Middle row:

Front row:

Alex Troup, or 'Wee Troupie' as he was nicknamed played nearly 300 times for Dundee in 3 different spells. I always found the 'wee' a bit funny given he was 5'6" which I would have thought wasn't that small in Scotland during the early part of the 20th Century.

He also played 260 games for Everton alongside the famous Dixie Dean who I think still holds the record for most goals in a season in England i.e. 60. When Troup died in 1951 Dean attended his funeral in Forfar stating that he would never have scored as many goals if it hadn't have been for the supply of pinpoint crosses from Troup throughout that season.

Alex Troup won 5 Scotland caps.

On 22/01/2023 at 19:50, House Bartender said:

There's only one Martin Buchan. However old is he now, he'd be a great addition/improvement to the back line. Classy.

Aye, classy player folks - quality ballers always seem to have loads of time.

On 24/01/2023 at 23:27, tamthebam said:

Hearts beat Morton 4-1 in the 1985 final, after we'd pumped Aberdeen 5-1 in the semis. 

Jim Duffy scored a hat-trick of penalties in the semi, as the Dons players kept forgetting the various rules which were penalised by spot-kicks.

Our only other appearance was in 1988, where we played two games, losing 4-1 to Aberdeen and 9-3 to Dundee. 😬