A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Programme for a match between 2 teams no longer in the senior national leagues, Brechin City v East Stirlingshire.

John Sime lived in the prefabs up the road from me and was a year or 2 ahead of me at primary school. He eventually moved to Australia playing for Brisbane Lions in the old NSL and various coaching roles with A-League side Brisbane Roar. 

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Programme for a match between 2 teams no longer in the senior national leagues, Brechin City v East Stirlingshire.

Picture 2 of 4

Typical City 4 pager from the early to late 70s, I find these quite charming, compared to the over sized, over priced brochures issued nowadays, but that's maybe just me.

Stalwart Ritchie in goals for City (presumably) and is that Dennis Gillespie in the squad?

Apart from the ubiquitous Newman don't recognise any of the 'Shire players, apart from Whiteford, perhaps.

10 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Shire still played 2-3-5 in the 70s! No wonder they struggled. 

Outside right is wee Bobby McCulley.

Possibly Stevie 'Snowy' Morrison up front for Shire?

8 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Picture 2 of 4

Typical City 4 pager from the early to late 70s, I find these quite charming, compared to the over sized, over priced brochures issued nowadays, but that's maybe just me.

Stalwart Ritchie in goals for City (presumably) and is that Dennis Gillespie in the squad?

Apart from the ubiquitous Newman don't recognise any of the 'Shire players, apart from Whiteford, perhaps.

Played on 5th March 1977, 1-0 to the visitors in front of a remarkably accurate attendance of 252.

A rather cheeky effort from Alloa

Picture 1 of 2

I always thought it was protocol for teams not to slag off each other, but "Brechin are usually looked upon as one of the strongest teams in the Second Division for the reason that they generally help to hold it up."

The only saving grace it was issued by the Supporters Club rather than the club itself, but it's a wee bit below the belt, imo.

The League Cup clash ended 1-1 in front of 1370 spectators.

Denis Gillespie had retired by then, that must have been Ralph Gillespie who played for a number of years at Glebe Park and moved to Arbroath.

Think the 'Whiteford' would be Davie, ex Motherwell, cousin of Derek. 'Rae' was Tommy Rae, who played fro a lot of different clubs in his career, starting out at Aberdeen in the late 'sixties. He looked like Alex Smith.

That Alloa crowd was decent given the attendances these days.

34 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Denis Gillespie had retired by then, that must have been Ralph Gillespie who played for a number of years at Glebe Park and moved to Arbroath.

Think the 'Whiteford' would be Davie, ex Motherwell, cousin of Derek. 'Rae' was Tommy Rae, who played fro a lot of different clubs in his career, starting out at Aberdeen in the late 'sixties. He looked like Alex Smith.

That Alloa crowd was decent given the attendances these days.

I could have sworn that Tommy Rae started with Thistle and then went to the Dons. Turns out I was wrong.

No photo description available. 

📸 Pic of the Day 📸
Action from the 13th September 1969 as Tommy Rae takes a corner against Morton in front of the South Terrace. The open terraces stretched beyond the full length of the ground. The imposing gasometer dominated the Pittodrie skyline. The half-time scoreboard and original TV gantry were also in view. This was the last area of the old ground to be developed.
For the record the game finished 2-2, with a young Joe Harper setting up both the visitors’ goals. A few weeks after this game he was signed by Aberdeen and later that season would help them win the Scottish Cup.

Just now, Raidernation said:

1970 was the first I remember, been at all since up to 2012 when I moved over here (officially)

So was I and I was at the 1967 final, but I don't think that counts as a "memory".

My mother was at all from '46 onward until '70

My grandfather (who was an evil bugger) was secretary of the Aberdeenshire (and for a while Scottish) Juvenile FA for something like 50 years and would get tickets. Never gave any to me!

Edited by Raidernation

7 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

My mother was at all from '46 onward until '70

My grandfather (who was an evil bugger) was secretary of the Aberdeenshire (and for a while Scottish) Juvenile FA for something like 50 years and would get tickets. Never gave any to me!

Dirty dog!

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Fondly remembered by older Sons fans as the 'Subbuteo Man'.

And by Falkirk fans, aptly on this thread, as posing for an all time classic shot where he is pictured crawling through Alan Mackin's legs in the Brockville changing room.

I've not seen it for years though, although the Terrace boys recreated it (accidentally?)

image.png.d358ed41a58f4d292c2d20a2df793261.png

Just now, House Bartender said:

There's only one Martin Buchan. However old is he now, he'd be a great addition/improvement to the back line. Classy.

He never seemed to get rushed. always calm.

15 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

He never seemed to get rushed. always calm.

Absolutely this. First man to Captain a Cup winning side in both Scotland and England*. And Eddie Turnbull had built a decent team around him - some inherited, some brought in. Other than the Fergie era, most AFC team lists are utterly forgettable but all 11 here are etched in the memory, not just as Cup winners. Decent opposition too.

Nostalgia None of this 5 subs nonsense and a traditional Master Mason at the helm.

image.png.a39e8832712bf9a0fcf531a9c4f91a19.png

* And captained the same two teams as the first man to manage Cup winning sides North and South of the border.

16 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Same view. Arrows are pointing at features that exist in both pictures.

gh1a.thumb.jpg.df069afad38969dac5b078fb1c30e64e.jpg

gh2a.thumb.jpg.d6581dff9bba2179a033401c5b0a17cf.jpg

That top photo is a great photo.  

I've lived next to Paisley since 1961 and don't remember these flats at all - I only remember the ones that are in the bottom picture.

When were they knocked down?