A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

577549023_IMG_20230118_2226413702.thumb.jpg.8c3d073cf58b1d62ff52800c2f20f55a.jpg

From the Forfar v Meadowbank programme, August 1988.

There's a poster on here with a connection to Alex Hamill but I've forgotten who it is. Sorry, it's old age.

I think that's Derek Grant in the centre background looking miffed. He went on to play for Meadowbank.

I'm sure I've previously seen reports of protests alleging the ref was inebriated. Protests were rife. This from the previous month:

Knobs in Football - Alloa Athletic to probe Dunfermline Athletic

Alloa Athletic protested against the Dunfermline Athletic, as one of the latter club's players had knobs on his boots, and as the player refused to take the boots off when requested. They also protested on the grounds of rough play. Mr Mackay, of Northern, moved that the protest be dismissed, as the allegations had not been proved. The ten shillings were forfeited.

Mr C Campbell, of the Queen's Park, said it was very hard on players to be deprived of the use of their knobs. He certainly objected to English knobs, which were of the kind of spikes covered with leather, as these knobs were very liable to do serious injury.

10 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Yes that me as @Eednud said, went on to break the record of consecutive appearances for the Loons to this day. Captained them for more than 5 years during a very successful period. A  solid left back if there ever be, probably be playing in the Premiership on todays standard.

There is a program that I do have (in my sister loft) of him on the front cover, flying into a tackle.   AND, if you look close, you will see his tadger in full site.

Nobody notice obviously before published, but was all known by the full time whistle.

He suffered a cardiac arrest last year shovelling snow on the front path of his house (a fit man, no drink or smoke) at the age of 60. He had a quadruple heart bypass operation (as I posted on this very thread, with photos of him during his career), he never woke up and was in a coma for over 1 month (which I never posted about). During covid time, the hospital let my sister stay with him (git c***s) as they thought it was over...

He is in recovery, not full, but can kick a ball in the back garden with his grandkids, and he has a smile on his face. 

I met him when I was 10 years old and watched many of his games, why I'm a Forfar fan.  That man is my hero!

Great read!

8 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Panini stickers montage of Scottish strikers in 1983, unusual Motherwell strip Brian McClair appears to be wearing. 

IMG_20230118_092239.jpg

This is genuinely what one of these McClair looks like now.

C28B94FA-8825-4C9B-AA88-3DD0C0C27E68.jpeg

Edited by buchan30

10 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

This is genuinely what one of these McClair looks like now.

C28B94FA-8825-4C9B-AA88-3DD0C0C27E68.jpeg

Leigh Griffiths too. 

Apparently McClair has just grown a beard and hasn't turned into a jakey. I'm sure he has a new podcast series out going by adverts I've heard recently. 

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think it's a lifestyle choice by McClair, he was always a bit on the Bohemian side.

Brian McClair was a guest at our supporters club end of season do a few years ago, was a Saturday evening bash, he decided to come through on the train at lunchtime and got absolutely pished in the pub nearby, he could barely bite his fingernails by the 7.30 kick off time 😂, still spent all night chatting to folk and posing for pictures mind you, great guy. 

14 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Panini stickers montage of Scottish strikers in 1983, unusual Motherwell strip Brian McClair appears to be wearing. 

IMG_20230118_092239.jpg

Tbf, that photo of John (aka Polaris) MacDonald is something of a collector's item ... he's still on his feet!

9 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Tbf, that photo of John (aka Polaris) MacDonald is something of a collector's item ... he's still on his feet!

Polaris was a bit of a Jonah:

Played for Scarborough (went bust), Airdriedonians (went bust) and Rangers (ahem)

Programme for a match between 2 teams no longer in the senior national leagues, Brechin City v East Stirlingshire.

Picture 2 of 4

Typical City 4 pager from the early to late 70s, I find these quite charming, compared to the over sized, over priced brochures issued nowadays, but that's maybe just me.

Stalwart Ritchie in goals for City (presumably) and is that Dennis Gillespie in the squad?

Apart from the ubiquitous Newman don't recognise any of the 'Shire players, apart from Whiteford, perhaps.

Played on 5th March 1977, 1-0 to the visitors in front of a remarkably accurate attendance of 252.

A rather cheeky effort from Alloa

Picture 1 of 2

I always thought it was protocol for teams not to slag off each other, but "Brechin are usually looked upon as one of the strongest teams in the Second Division for the reason that they generally help to hold it up."

The only saving grace it was issued by the Supporters Club rather than the club itself, but it's a wee bit below the belt, imo.

The League Cup clash ended 1-1 in front of 1370 spectators.

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Programme for a match between 2 teams no longer in the senior national leagues, Brechin City v East Stirlingshire.

John Sime lived in the prefabs up the road from me and was a year or 2 ahead of me at primary school. He eventually moved to Australia playing for Brisbane Lions in the old NSL and various coaching roles with A-League side Brisbane Roar.