45yrs ago:

1.jpg

FSjL0l4XEAAkISF?format=jpg&name=large

FYVX5-hX0AMFbUe?format=jpg&name=900x900
FYVX5-hWAAI6lgB?format=jpg&name=900x900

E4y1Mg1WEAIsPyF?format=jpg&name=large

E4y1MgvXwAIuybI?format=jpg&name=medium

I was there and missed both goals.   

My lasting memory was a 50-60 yard cross field pass from Dalglish to some Liverpool player. 

Killie then knocked St Mirren out of the Scottish Cup the next month at Love Street, which was great as I went to school in Paisley at the time.

Edited by paul wright scores

On 13/12/2022 at 09:05, Dundee Hibernian said:

End of the season match, but one United had to win to have a chance of staying up (75-75). Finished 2-0, other goal from Henry Hall. He started his senior career at Stirling Albion, but had a fantastic scoring record at Muirton. The Hamish penalty was his first senior goal, and he took another a week later in a crucial match at Ibrox, that in itself unusual in that an away team was awarded a penalty there. He missed, but United stayed up on goal difference above relegated Dundee. 

Henry Hall had signed for United in 1975, to give hairstyling tips to manager Jim Mclean.

Henry.thumb.jpg.83c1d9b905e4c4986700c612fa370e3b.jpg

I never got the chance to witness Hamish's prowess from twelve yards when he joined the Rovers, but I do remember him being pretty tasty from around 90 yards in an away match at Rugby Park.

When it was rebuilt between 1994 and 1997, most of the surrounding area was much the same, particularly the run down housing and general waste land behind what is now the Jock Stein stand and the bus Park, club shop etc, as well as the grotty looking flats/council houses across from the main entrance where the Velodrome is now, the transformation and changes to the South and East sides of the stadium are, as you say astounding and the area is completely unrecognisable from about 30 year ago. 

On 13/12/2022 at 23:21, HibeeJibee said:

45yrs ago:

1.jpg

FSjL0l4XEAAkISF?format=jpg&name=large

FYVX5-hX0AMFbUe?format=jpg&name=900x900
FYVX5-hWAAI6lgB?format=jpg&name=900x900

E4y1Mg1WEAIsPyF?format=jpg&name=large

E4y1MgvXwAIuybI?format=jpg&name=medium

Great fun in the days when the old Rangers had a love in with Liverpool. Something about joint funny walks in Southport. Anyway train back from Paisley to Glasgow Central with folks songs and musical instruments.

Staunch.

On 13/12/2022 at 16:55, Dundee Hibernian said:

United needed a point in their next game at Ibrox to stay up. In spite of Hamish's penalty miss close to the 90 minute mark, they got it in a 0-0 draw.

Trying not so sound bitter here but feck it, I still am after 45+ years 😀

The game at Ibrox was a rearranged midweek fixture and United faced a weakened Rangers team who had players on Scotland duty for the Home International week. Tommy McLean who was renowned as one of the best crossers of the ball in Scotland managed to put every corner out the park!!

But like I said I'm not bitter 😉

On 02/12/2022 at 14:36, PossilYM said:

Helenvale Park, home of Glasgow Corporation Transport was lying derelict last time i looked.

Dundee United used to use Helenvale twice a week at nights in late 80s (1989/90?)  to coach and train their Glasgow and surrounds Schoolboys trialists and S-Forms. From memory it was Astroturf then as well.

46 minutes ago, Dylangt7 said:

Dundee United used to use Helenvale twice a week at nights in late 80s (1989/90?)  to coach and train their Glasgow and surrounds Schoolboys trialists and S-Forms. From memory it was Astroturf then as well.

Glasgow American football team (gridiron) used it as well.

Pity Dundee Utd didn't have use of a facility like that in Glasgow back in 1939 when my old man went up to Tannadice for a trial.

Return train and £1.25 (25 shillings in real money)

lol

On 14/12/2022 at 20:47, Flybhoy said:

When it was rebuilt between 1994 and 1997, most of the surrounding area was much the same, particularly the run down housing and general waste land behind what is now the Jock Stein stand and the bus Park, club shop etc, as well as the grotty looking flats/council houses across from the main entrance where the Velodrome is now, the transformation and changes to the South and East sides of the stadium are, as you say astounding and the area is completely unrecognisable from about 30 year ago. 

I remember walking about a mile through that area after getting off at the wrong subway stop due to a fire at a station. Fortunately I was going to see U2 (apparently 1993) so didn’t have colours on. Was like Mogadishu except not as warm. Glad it’s unrecognisable because it was a huge wasteland.

5 hours ago, Dylangt7 said:

It was early all weather when I played on it. Which was concrete with a thin layer of rubber coating on it. It was horrible and almost impossible to play football on, which suited me, as even the good players were dragged nearer my level.

6 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

Trying not so sound bitter here but feck it, I still am after 45+ years 😀

The game at Ibrox was a rearranged midweek fixture and United faced a weakened Rangers team who had players on Scotland duty for the Home International week. Tommy McLean who was renowned as one of the best crossers of the ball in Scotland managed to put every corner out the park!!

But like I said I'm not bitter 😉

To be fair, the Scottish League arranged a full programme of top league fixtures for SFA Cup Final day, pushing the cup game back 3 days. Hardly two organisations working in tandem for the benefit of the Scottish game.

I maintain the win United had against Celtic at Tannadice less than a month earlier was key: anyway, the deid Rangers only had Tam Forsyth, Colin Jackson and Fatty Johnstone missing against United. 

Dundee lodged a protest I think, to force the SFA to release these three and Motherwell's Pettigrew to play for their clubs in the final matches. It failed, and I have to say I have sympathy for Dundee, and the clubs losing players, since, to this day, and in fact on .this day, the SFA maintain they don't pay players to play for their international side. 

Meanwhile, the Tannadice United v Celtic game in April 1976.1964969803_UtdvCelticapril76.thumb.jpg.0b4c25b8adb1837c1f52c7adc5b48d31.jpg

Think it's Kenny Dalglish and Tam McAdam in the foreground, Danny McGrain, Geordie Fleming and Doug Houston behind.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

A Hibs site I saw are claiming "the wee fella" (copyright Ally McCoist) first wore the famous No 10 jersey against them at Murrayfield (a game I was at and the Hibs defence weren't!)

Think that's right: until that game #10 was Ronaldinho's.

He also captained Barcelona for the first-ever time at Tannadice.