A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

5 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

It was never changed, always Mungalhead Road, named after Mungal Farm or the Mungal Burn nearby.

Which one is Craig Brown?

The one that isn't Billy McNeill, Aberdeen's manager who signed Archibald 

16 hours ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

Steve Archibald moves from Clyde to Aberdeen, featuring Craig Brown with hair.9528e47cba02c079ecb73c03d100a810.jpg

Sorry that the Dons changed to their name back to plain Aberdeen FC. 'Aberdeen, featuring Craig Brown with hair' had a nice ring to it . Even better would have been 'Aberdeen, featuring Craig Brown in the musical Hair' . That's what I call half-time entertainment. Pittodrie would have been stowed out !

On 28/11/2022 at 19:35, Dundee Hibernian said:

Unsure where I got these from: this is from 1960.

image.thumb.jpeg.e84ef79fb493e18a6ec82f7d784db3c7.jpeg

Association Football by A. H. Fabian and Geoffrey Green, published by Caxton in 1961.  A nice four volume history.  Right now there are a few sets on ebay, expect to pay £35-40, but there is an auction ending pretty soon that's at a low price.

On 30/11/2022 at 19:20, tamthebam said:

In Edinburgh Wednesday was a half day.

Here is an Ardath card of Aberdeen Shop Assistants

The back of the card says "Formed 1919 and plays in the Wednesday Juniors League". There was a similar League in Edinburgh.

And Birmingham - also for works teams.  One of which (the Corp. Transport team) reached the first round of the FA Cup proper - something which the Glasgow Corporation side managed in Scotland in 1970, losing at Brechin.  There was even a national cup for all the local tramway/transport teams; a totally forgotten bit of British football history.

1 hour ago, bluearmyfaction said:

And Birmingham - also for works teams.  One of which (the Corp. Transport team) reached the first round of the FA Cup proper - something which the Glasgow Corporation side managed in Scotland in 1970, losing at Brechin.  There was even a national cup for all the local tramway/transport teams; a totally forgotten bit of British football history.

Glasgow Corporation Transport team even had their own ground, one of five grounds in the Parkhead area.

31 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

@Clyde 

Is any of it still there?

Believe the team that won the Cup with the Big Ears still play in the area.

lol

Bridgeton Waverley's old ground i believe is still there on London Rd.

Parkhead Juniors across the road has been waste ground now for decades.

Strathclyde Juniors had the Commonwealth Village built over the top of it. In turn that's now a housing estate.

Helenvale Park, home of Glasgow Corporation Transport was lying derelict last time i looked.

One of those strange coincidences i drove a bus that had a terminus in Helenvale Street. Although for Eastern Scottish who had a couple of routes inside Glasgow years back.

1 hour ago, PossilYM said:

Believe the team that won the Cup with the Big Ears still play in the area.

lol

Bridgeton Waverley's old ground i believe is still there on London Rd.

Parkhead Juniors across the road has been waste ground now for decades.

Strathclyde Juniors had the Commonwealth Village built over the top of it. In turn that's now a housing estate.

Helenvale Park, home of Glasgow Corporation Transport was lying derelict last time i looked.

One of those strange coincidences i drove a bus that had a terminus in Helenvale Street. Although for Eastern Scottish who had a couple of routes inside Glasgow years back.

I played on Helenvale...when I say played, I was there.

1 hour ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I was supposed to play at Helenvale but the game was postponed. The reason we were given was that people were apparently getting electric shocks from the artificial pitch, of all things. 

It would be the static left behind by my pace.

8 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Glasgow Corporation Transport team even had their own ground, one of five grounds in the Parkhead area.

So did Birmingham Transport - they were sometimes neutral venues for matches between each depot. 

Helenvale may have been used because it hit lots of sweet spots; the Glasgow Corporation was not as anti-Roman Catholic as some other institutions, so lots of tram workers were Celtic fans, it was already being used for sport (well, bowling), and the Corporation team played in green. 

Glasgow alone had 13 Corporation bus garages. Easily have formed 2 leagues if you included garages within a 15 mile radius.

A bit like railway lines a lot of football grounds had a bus garage nearby.

Hampden had two, one of which was immediately behind the East Terracing. Ibrox bus garage was across the the road from the old St Anthony's ground. Parkhead garage had 5 grounds nearby as stated. Bridgeton garage wasn't exactly a million miles from Celtic Park. Possil garage had Perthshire next door and Ashfield along the street. Newlands garage was next door to Pollok. Even the Eastern Scottish garage i worked out of had Bailleston Juniors in the same street.

Maryhill depot was in Celtic Street which was something of a local quiz question.

Remember going along one lunch time to watch the older brother play for Larkfield garage one midweek afternoon at Rosebery Park? at Polmadie (early 1970s) and Willie Waddell and Jock Wallace standing there. There was two European semi finals that night in Glasgow. What better way to unwind away from the hype than to watch bus drivers and conductors kick lumps out of each other for 90 minutes.

My Dad worked in the Eastern Scottish garage in Airdrie. He didn't  play, but the football team were excellent. A few part time players who worked there played as "ringers".

There games were always worth watching.

Same thing happened in the civil service. I never played in the best work teams, but I'm on many team sheets to allow various part time and junior chancers play. I never even got a medal.

Inspector Blakey writes;

Two football grounds in Edinburgh actually became bus garages.

Bathgate Park in New Street was built on top of an old gasworks and was used by local junior teams until the 1920s. It became an Eastern Scottish bus garage and the site is now occupied by some bloody awful looking houses.

Marine Gardens, home of Leith Athletic and Edinburgh City in the 1930s, was later cleared and the site is now a Lothian Buses depot.