A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

11 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I was there too, at the Celtic end, and perfectly placed to follow the trajectory of Kenny Dalgish's belter of a goal.  IIRC he scored an almost identical one only weeks before against Ipswich at Portman Road.

His goal against Belgium was quite similar as well, I think.

https://youtu.be/dIU3yCkxGR4

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

15 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I was there too, at the Celtic end, and perfectly placed to follow the trajectory of Kenny Dalgish's belter of a goal.  IIRC he scored an almost identical one only weeks before against Ipswich at Portman Road.

I was a primary school kid in Section N of the East End for the Spain game and I was standing in pretty much the same spot for James McFadden's goal against Holland years later, where he also cut in from that flank and shot into the same corner. I've always linked the two goals due to that, although McFadden's goal wasn't in the same class as Dalglish's, clearly.

6 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

38 years ago tonight at Hampden, Scotland hounded that year's European Championship runners-up, Spain, 3-1 in front of 74,299. The last (likely ever) 70k+ crowd at a Scotland home game.

scan00014.jpg?w=736

6c972498c08d6e44ef2e2e2fdc5d1d74

image.png.adfb3084d988945cd5d01fed6fa67b41.png

It was one of the first matches* I taped onto our new Ferguson video recorder which was then complimented with Manchester United Vs Dundee United and an episode of The Tube and a Madonna video.

*The first match I taped was Dundee United vs St Mirren also around November 1984, on Scotsport's Sunday highlights and it was raining quite heavily. I don't know when I got round to finally taping The Dons but we possibly weren't on the box during November 1984.

I've never been able to find a copy of the original complete Sportscene(or was it on Sportsnight) highlights of Scotland Vs Spain since. I wish I had kept my copy...

7 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

38 years ago tonight at Hampden, Scotland hounded that year's European Championship runners-up, Spain, 3-1 in front of 74,299. The last (likely ever) 70k+ crowd at a Scotland home game.

scan00014.jpg?w=736

Bought the programme from that game in a charity shop in Edinburgh last year for £5. 

7 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Bought the programme from that game in a charity shop in Edinburgh last year for £5. 

Cheaper on eBay - SCOTLAND V SPAIN 14 NOV 1984 

£1.00
0 bids · Time left 5d 12h left 
(Sun, 20:25)
or Best Offer
+ £1.05 postage

Edited by Jacksgranda

14 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

scan00014.jpg?w=736

I was there with my wife, who was my fiancée at the time, in the North Enclosure. Every time the Kenny Dalglish goal is shown she reminds me. What a game it was and you just took that type of performance by Scotland for granted back then. 

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I was there with my wife, who was my fiancée at the time, in the North Enclosure. Every time the Kenny Dalglish goal is shown she reminds me. What a game it was and you just took that type of performance by Scotland for granted back then. 

One of my memories of that game is the Spanish manager calling the Scot's performance a 'masterpiece of technique'. 

And aye...it was pretty much par for the course back then...

I watched that game in a pub called the Mill House in Stillorgan, a suburb of Dublin, in the company of two Scots. We had a great day+night. The following morning wasn't particularly enjoyable, alas. 
The Mill House still going strong, cracking pub. We stay in Stillorgan any time we are going to Leopardstown races

On 11/11/2022 at 13:51, The Mantis said:

Warning - this post does not contain socks...

Main Stand and Johnnie Walker Stand, probably 1977 1994. Scanned from an old slide so poor quality.

image.thumb.jpeg.37b2630031d56f25346396c479671b8a.jpeg

I used to stand in the Johnnie Walker terracing when I first went to Rugby Park.  God knows why now as you were miles from seeing the action at the other end.

21 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Tannadeechay in 1991. Mo Malpas testimonialimage.thumb.jpeg.9eba43cd59e329a91bf6085b62d16091.jpeg

These must be Rangers fans in the photograph, for some reason Maurice Malpas got them for his testimonial (perhaps the main one being they brought a pile of supporters, boosting his testimonial fund).

Malpas was quite a 'Marmite' player for some fans, including me, but the type of guy we're missing presently. Some argued that rule changes in 1992, were detrimental to his performances, but that was more in reference to his opposition appointed nickname of 'Maurice Backpass'.

He was the only part time player in our League winning side of 1983, and was awarded a second testimonial match in 2000, having played under 5 different Tannadice managers.

To play for so many managers is not that a difficult task these days at Tannadice, Peter Pawlett, signed in 2019, has already managed that.