A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

13 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Actually, we also previously had a picture of Bernie Slaven which prompted a discussion about the possible location he was photographed at, which I think was eventually decided was Ochilview... anyway here's a different one of Albion Rovers future international star in an ape like pose...

But where is he playing and can anyone identify the opposition team and player (because I can't)?

Maybe it's Forfar Athletic?

bernies2.jpg.71adb1f81161c0f93f4591dd76acd4ed.jpg

Opposition: White

3 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Definitely Cliftonhill, and I'd put money on it being the same game as this one, illustrated in the 85/86 SFL review. 

20221111_073412.jpg

Edit: 2/2/84 AR 1v4 Montrose 

Opposition: Black

Unless there is another photo kicking about that I've missed.

ETA: Which there must be, I've misread the first post I quoted.

Edited by Jacksgranda

44 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Opposition: White

Opposition: Black

Unless there is another photo kicking about that I've missed.

ETA: Which there must be, I've misread the first post I quoted.

29 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Is the opposition boy's socks not just at his ankles (and black) in the first photo?

They are definitely dark blue in both.

On 11/11/2022 at 13:51, The Mantis said:

Warning - this post does not contain socks...

Main Stand and Johnnie Walker Stand, probably 1977. Scanned from an old slide so poor quality.

image.thumb.jpeg.37b2630031d56f25346396c479671b8a.jpeg

Simon Inglis in "The Football Grounds of Great Britain" called those lights "The Spiders from Mars"

On 11/11/2022 at 14:51, The Mantis said:

Warning - this post does not contain socks...

Main Stand and Johnnie Walker Stand, probably 1977. Scanned from an old slide so poor quality.

image.thumb.jpeg.37b2630031d56f25346396c479671b8a.jpeg

Considering the amount of hi vis on display, the portacabins & style of dugouts, it looks a bit later than 1977. 

2 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

Considering the amount of hi vis on display, the portacabins & style of dugouts, it looks a bit later than 1977. 

25 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I reckon it's possibly 93/94ish as Killie wore a white home top with blue shorts and socks that season.

My apologies, you're both right. 19 March 1994 v Aberdeen, 1-3 I think. I dug out some old Kodachromes and just assumed it was 1977 when I lived in Ayr from April to the New Year. That July I went along to a PSF between Killie & Rangers.

Looking at the Argentina '78 picture, Derek Johnstone is on record saying that Ally McLeod had it in for him, and he should have known he wasn't going to get a game at the finals despite all the goals he'd scored that season.

I wonder if it was McLeod who nominated him to look after the cuddly toy in the team picture.

image.png.1f79d4f2acc86833161dc246fe0dedf2.png

On 06/11/2022 at 01:00, Dirty Sanchez said:

Crowd at that game: 137,438.

Crowd at the 1974 game: 94,487.

Looking at the crowd in the video of the 1974 game, if that attendance is to be believed, it's truly amazing that there was apparently room to fit another 43,000 people into the ground.

I watched that game in a pub called the Mill House in Stillorgan, a suburb of Dublin, in the company of two Scots. We had a great day+night. The following morning wasn't particularly enjoyable, alas.