A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Scotland, 1958, Sunday names:

From left to right, (back row) John Davidson Hewie, Eric Caldow, Thomas Younger, Edward Hunter Turnbull, Robert Evans and Douglas Cowie; 
(front row) Graham Leggat, James Murray, John Knight Mudie, Robert Young Collins and James John Stewart Imlach.

1958.thumb.jpg.f90b15245c5de70c7be90daed9ffa95f.jpg

Posting this to mention the book written by Gary Imlach, Stewart's son. His book 'My father and Other Working Class Heroes' has been around for quite a while, 2005, but recently read it and would say it's one of the best football books ever written.

25 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

From left to right, (back row) John Davidson Hewie, Eric Caldow, Thomas Younger, Edward Hunter Turnbull, Robert Evans and Douglas Cowie; 
(front row) Graham Leggat, James Murray, John Knight Mudie, Robert Young Collins and James John Stewart Imlach.

Posting this to mention the book written by Gary Imlach, Stewart's son. His book 'My father and Other Working Class Heroes' has been around for quite a while, 2005, but recently read it and would say it's one of the best football books ever written.

This was the line-up for 3 games in a row. 1-1 v Hungary at Hampden, 2-1 away to Poland and 1-1 v Yugoslavia in Scotland’s opening game of the 1958 World Cup.

Film of the Poland game. 

Edited by Eednud

29 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

It's a fantastic book indeed.

17 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Royal Gymnasium:

the-gymnasium.jpg

I think some of that ground ended up being the car park for an office where I worked for a few years so it's likely I parked my car somewhere there.  That office is now in the process of being pulled down to make way for new flats.

34 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think some of that ground ended up being the car park for an office where I worked for a few years so it's likely I parked my car somewhere there.  That office is now in the process of being pulled down to make way for new flats.

Edinburgh locals treated to glimpse of Victorian attraction Royal Patent Gymnasium | Edinburgh News (scotsman.com)

Remains of 19th century Edinburgh 'Alton Towers' uncovered at city park - Edinburgh Live

Edinburgh's forgotten Victorian 'Alton Towers' that sounds completely made up - Edinburgh Live

That's correct - after WWII part of the Royal Gymnasium became King George V public park, and the rest ultimately became car parking for adjacent bank offices. I read that a pair of gate posts set in a wall on Royal Crescent are all that survives.

FeatureGymnasium%20ad%20P%20hero2.jpg?it

b25lY21zOjE0ZmM1YzRiLTI5NjctNGRhOS05MzUy

2022-06-02-King-George-V-03-1024x768.jpg

Scotland Street tunnel is right alongside. Eyre Crescent UP/Davidson church is also long gone, sadly, itself replaced by flats. Photo of the stadium I posted yesterday looking south toward the St Bernards grandstand was clearly taken from the top of the tower of that church.

26375114722_028d624168_b.jpg

10960172875_68dc5c767e_b.jpg

image.png.ca402db184ed6b71bb3c4df01f979270.png

18 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Royal Gymnasium:

the-gymnasium.jpg

1890s:

image.png.24c24a2dd675914bbc79e506c61e40af.png

1910s:

image.png.c5a6d55541c0f0bd13dda0bdf1c3095b.png

1950s:

image.png.7605e442fb11ecb1c363570754fd3a1e.png

2020s:

image.thumb.png.9bf88c544b7e4ecc0ff0e4b1da187516.png

Residents rise up against developer's lack of public consultation | The  Edinburgh Reporter

Edited by HibeeJibee

St Bernards facts:

The Gymnasium Stand was transported to Meadowbank in 1945. I believe it was destined for Annfield but there were still wartime restrictions in place. The stand was in place until Meadowbank was redeveloped in the 1960s.

The East of Scotland (City) Cup was found buried in the terrace when it was being cleared in 1945. There is a theory someone had tried to nick it and was caught in the act.

Clark's Bar nearby does a fine pint and has a small display case to Saints in the back

The Reverend RL Small played in goal for Saints and was later Moderator of the General Assembly and minister at Canongate Kirk 

I knew an old chap who had watched Saints once or twice 

I own a programme. It cost me less than you might think, perhaps because it's against East Fife and not Hibs or Hearts

IMG_20221108_224632071.thumb.jpg.5c58d442965c9b3afa6cad1b2e8b01d3.jpg

15 hours ago, tamthebam said:

St Bernards facts:

The Gymnasium Stand was transported to Meadowbank in 1945. I believe it was destined for Annfield but there were still wartime restrictions in place. The stand was in place until Meadowbank was redeveloped in the 1960s.

The East of Scotland (City) Cup was found buried in the terrace when it was being cleared in 1945. There is a theory someone had tried to nick it and was caught in the act.

Clark's Bar nearby does a fine pint and has a small display case to Saints in the back

The Reverend RL Small played in goal for Saints and was later Moderator of the General Assembly and minister at Canongate Kirk 

I knew an old chap who had watched Saints once or twice 

I own a programme. It cost me less than you might think, perhaps because it's against East Fife and not Hibs or Hearts

IMG_20221108_224632071.thumb.jpg.5c58d442965c9b3afa6cad1b2e8b01d3.jpg

I'm sure it cost you a pound or two...pre Second World War Scottish football programmes are like gold dust.

Falkirk in a very smart half and half kit.

1150161030_FFC62BLesThomsonJohnHunterWillieWhighamErniePeacockTommyLowryBillMcCarryFKennyCunninghamHughHamiltonBillyFultonAlexDuchartJimmyAdam.thumb.jpg.8662e68c22fd00e28097743a42243a25.jpg

Players are: back,  Les Thomson, John Hunter, Willie Whigham, Ernie Peacock, Tommy Lowry, Bill McCarry.

Front, Kenny Cunningham, Hugh Hamilton, Billy Fulton, Alex Duchart, Jimmy Adam.

Picture taken before a League Cup tie at Fir Park in 1962 (heavy defeat, which maybe explains why this jersey was hidden in a cupboard.)

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

15 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Willie Whigham's nae affa' happy...

He stepped into 'one o thae new fangilt time machines' on October 5th 1934 not expecting for a second it would work. Suddenly he's in goal for Falkirk in August 1962 and all his team mates look like Clark Gable or Gary Cooper. Little wonder he looks so pissed off. !