A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Not a Scottish club but very much a big Scottish connection in this photo. The players shown are from the Blackpool squad of season 1953/54 and are pictured in Dundee prior to a friendly at Tannadice. Players are Back row L-R Hugh Kelly, Allan Brown, Bob Wyllie. Front row L-R Ewan Fenton, Jackie Mudie and unknown unfortunately. All of these players were Scottish.

Bob Wyllie was a goalkeeper with Dundee United who had been transferred to Blackpool in the close season. Part of the transfer deal was that current FA Cup holders Blackpool would play a friendly against United at Tannadice. 

Wyllie, Mudie and Fenton were all Dundonians so it was a wee trip home for them during the season.

Blackpool.jpeg

On 03/11/2022 at 19:05, Dundee Hibernian said:

Dundee team group in 1959 with three of the players' signatures: Bill Brown and Dave Sneddon are two of them, Jimmy Gabriel who went south to Goodison in 1960 is the other. 19 year old Ian Ure is also in the back row, the youthful centre half having a big career ahead of him at Dens, then down south with Arsenal and Manchester United. But he wasn't well enough known for the captioner to get his name correct at that point.

Some great players over and above these four in the picture: it's a wonder I was never a 'Dee!

There's also something a wee bit odd about this press photo.......

1426911662_DFC1959.thumb.jpg.001132c91b7dc45f9f5ab73bbd4daa08.jpg

Davie Sneddon you say....

0_DWR_ksts_daviesneddon.jpg

GL277118.jpg

Edited by Lurkst

9 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

Not a Scottish club but very much a big Scottish connection in this photo. The players shown are from the Blackpool squad of season 1953/54 and are pictured in Dundee prior to a friendly at Tannadice. Players are Back row L-R Hugh Kelly, Allan Brown, Bob Wyllie. Front row L-R Ewan Fenton, Jackie Mudie and unknown unfortunately. All of these players were Scottish.

Bob Wyllie was a goalkeeper with Dundee United who had been transferred to Blackpool in the close season. Part of the transfer deal was that current FA Cup holders Blackpool would play a friendly against United at Tannadice. 

Wyllie, Mudie and Fenton were all Dundonians so it was a wee trip home for them during the season.

Blackpool.jpeg

The man in the bottom right, 'unknown unfortunately', has the look of James Stewart (It's a Wonderful Life, Harvey, and so on), but I wonder if it is George Farm? He's certainly familiar: I'm going for Jimmy Stewart.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Would put money on the visitors being Falkirk.

Was that the Scottish Cup QF live on the BBC?

Aye, Falkirk, 6/3/93, QF. Seem to remember it was 3pm Saturday so surely not on telly?

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

The man in the bottom right, 'unknown unfortunately', has the look of James Stewart (It's a Wonderful Life, Harvey, and so on), but I wonder if it is George Farm? He's certainly familiar: I'm going for Jimmy Stewart.

I think it's John Lynas who was club trainer at the time, would have been in his early 40s, ex player with Third Lanark and Raith ? 

38 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Incidentally there is arguably a wealth of social observation possible here simply among the moustaches, headgear/haircuts, collars and captions.

Echoes of...

MV5BNzJhYzZlNzMtYmUyZS00MmFhLTkxMTQtMTVh

...?

Only the Celtic player looks constipated 

15 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

George Farm was still with Blackpool then but it's not him. My old man gave me their names years ago but sadly he is no longer with us, nor is Bob Wyllie who was my uncle.

14 hours ago, billyg said:

I think it's John Lynas who was club trainer at the time, would have been in his early 40s, ex player with Third Lanark and Raith ? 

Brilliant, thanks for that. Just seen a team photo with the manager and coach of the cup winning team and I think you're right.