A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

10 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Thanks for posting this - Stephen is the club poet and his stuff is excellent, recognised by UK national awards.

A wee reminder that our 150th Exhibition runs in Dumbarton Public Library until 17th December (free entry).  In the course of research of local clubs Pinterest provided this image of the Renton FC badge - maybe it's just me but it seems to be almost a predecessor to that of a certain Glasgow club.

Renton FC Badge.jpg

Lacks poppies in my view. 

10 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Is this a record for most sendings-off in a senior match?  December 1905 and seven Thornliebank players "ordered to the pavilion" for dissent when 8-1 down to Alloa...no wonder they were expelled from the Scottish Combination.

The_Daily_Record_and_Mail_Fri__Dec_1__1905_.jpg

Same old Alloa, always bleating

Don Givens, Irish International on the right playing for Neuchatel Xamax, where he finished up having played with Man U, Luton and QPR, among others, at Tannadice. 20221030_100723.jpg.5872097f42ef6f8405495714b84cdcbe.jpg

Edited by Piquet

Thank you, Daniel Gray.

You have now taught me that Bovril was invented in Roslin. Now home in my mind of Dollie the Sheep, the Knights Templar and the Da Vinci code at Rosslyn Chapel, David Gray 90' +2, Brian from my school and bloody bovril.

Without John Lawson Johnston and his inventive ways with beefy juice, this very website would bear a different name.

This is footballing history right here near the Roslin Post Office.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/20/snack-bars-galore-the-wonder-of-football-food#Echobox=1666262647

5d008ddff8ecc3d2d652f972cc67d565.jpge719e79a16a4ddbe0e7dac4a115c2cb8.jpg

3 hours ago, Piquet said:

Don Givens, Irish International on the right playing for Neuchatel Xamax, where he finished up having played with Man U, Luton and QPR, among others, at Tannadice. 20221030_100723.jpg.5872097f42ef6f8405495714b84cdcbe.jpg

That was the first occasion that United had used the undersoil heating installed in the summer of 1985: as you can see it failed. It sticks in my mind that Denis Thatcher had something to do with the company which was responsible for the work.

Uli Stielike scored Xamax's goal in their 2-1 defeat, but they knocked United out in Switzerland 3-1 aet.

49 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Genuinely the coldest place to watch football outwith Siberia 🥶

Away man, Scotland's a small country. Everywhere gets cold at times, you just need to get out more 😂  
You could make that claim for loads of grounds depending what day you went.

Broadwood in Cumbernauld, recently vacated by Clyde after just shy of 30 years can be pretty brutal in the winter months, its location quite high up with no large buildings nearby and big gaps between the stands make it effectively a wind tunnel, a Scottish Cup tie Celtic played there just before the pandemic was a particularly gruesome experience with a howling gale and sleet blowing right into our faces behind the goal we were situated at, pretty sure me and my mates left with about half an hour left that day it was pretty unbearable. 

Had near hypothermia also at grounds near the coast such as Gayfield, Arbroath and Aberdeen's rapidly deteriorating Pittodrie, ironically the coldest ive been up there was when Celtic won the league there in, I think, April 2019.... again the lashing wind and rain from the North Sea about half a mile away was swirling into the corner of the ground the away support are allocated.

As you say, it is all opinion based and subjective but, my own personal winner is definitely Inverness, an absolute ice box at times up there.

Edited by Flybhoy

4 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Broadwood in Cumbernauld, recently vacated by Clyde after just shy of 30 years can be pretty brutal in the winter months, its location quite high up with no large buildings nearby and big gaps between the stands make it effectively a wind tunnel, a Scottish Cup tie Celtic played there just before the pandemic was a particularly gruesome experience with a howling gale and sleet blowing right into our faces behind the goal we were situated at, pretty sure me and my mates left with about half an hour left that day it was pretty unbearable. 

Had near hypothermia also at grounds near the coast such as Gayfield, Arbroath and Aberdeen's rapidly deteriorating Pittodrie, ironically the coldest ive been up there was when Celtic won the league there in, I think, April 2019.... again the lashing wind and rain from the North Sea about half a mile away was swirling into the corner of the ground the away support are allocated.

As you say, it is all opinion based and subjective but, my own personal winner is definitely Inverness, an absolute ice box at times up there.

In a longer post I would have named all these places as examples, as I've been going to games for over 50 years. At Broadwood I remember the conditions turning icy and the game being abandoned after 30 minutes when the goalie hurt himself in a fall. At Tannadice once I needed the car heater on full blast for about half an hour to stop shivering. Gayfield and Pittodrie are others. The west is wetter so maybe the east is colder.
I have to say I've been at Caley Stadium over 100 times and it probably doesn't even register in my top 10 brass monkey moments, although I've had a few soakings in the old terracing days.

The game at Broadwood you may be referring to was between Clyde and Stirling Albion, just after new year 1995, I was at it, pitch was like an ice rink and couldn't believe the match started, Stirling Albion goalkeeper Mark McGeown had a particularly nasty fall on the rock hard surface and got a pretty bad head injury, I'm sure he was out cold for a while, match was immediately abandoned. 

Ironically I was at the re arranged match a few weeks later, another game where the infamous Broadwood wind tunnel made an appearance, players were having to hold the ball with a hand and quickly release it to allow team mates to take corner and goal kicks 😂

6 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

In a longer post I would have named all these places as examples, as I've been going to games for over 50 years. At Broadwood I remember the conditions turning icy and the game being abandoned after 30 minutes when the goalie hurt himself in a fall. At Tannadice once I needed the car heater on full blast for about half an hour to stop shivering. Gayfield and Pittodrie are others. The west is wetter so maybe the east is colder.
I have to say I've been at Caley Stadium over 100 times and it probably doesn't even register in my top 10 brass monkey moments, although I've had a few soakings in the old terracing days.

Gayfield, The Recs, Brechin, Eyemouth United and Hall Russell United are the coldest grounds I've been to. 

At least at Alloa the soup is volcanically hot. 

I have to say grounds are probably colder now with modern all seater stands. Concrete and steel feels colder than an old stand like Albion Rovers and covered terraces like the ones at Tynecastle and Easter Road kept you warm when you were packed in with 5000 other tubes

At Kilbowie a couple of Falkirk players started showing signs of hypothermia at half time once. Think the physio had to treat one or more, and Jimmy Gilmour (?) had to have his hands in hot water in a sink to keep him going. At least one needed substituting.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

The game at Broadwood you may be referring to was between Clyde and Stirling Albion, just after new year 1995, I was at it, pitch was like an ice rink and couldn't believe the match started, Stirling Albion goalkeeper Mark McGeown had a particularly nasty fall on the rock hard surface and got a pretty bad head injury, I'm sure he was out cold for a while, match was immediately abandoned. 

That’s the one. In fact if there’s anybody out there that has the date of this I’d be grateful.

Just remembered probably my no 1 coldest experience, but all other games were off so I came prepared with long johns, hillwalking gear including boots 😂. Hibs v Killie in the Cup, Jan 1996, it was the day before Whitehill played Celtic. I went in the Killie end. Amazingly the next day I was in the WW end only 2 seats away.

39 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

At Kilbowie a couple of Falkirk players started showing signs of hypothermia at half time once. Think the physio had to treat one or more, and Jimmy Gilmour (?) had to have his hands in hot water in a sink to keep him going. At least one needed substituting.

Wee Jimmy Gilmour had a season at Caley in the Highland League. Maybe 1993.

Edited by The Mantis

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Genuinely the coldest place to watch football outwith Siberia 🥶

Hasn't been to Gayfield. 

Ok, you have been. Been to both a few times and Gayfield the coldest by some way.

Edited by kingjoey