A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

21 minutes ago, Luddite said:

We Scots love to feel we are being dismissed by the English though, don’t we? If I was selling newspapers that’s the angle I’d go with too 😁

I remember it whipped up the atmosphere at the game a bit. 16000 was the published crowd at old Broomfield.

18 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

12CBD7FC-57C6-459C-9161-06F8B561CF46.thumb.jpeg.9b0802d016c1296e40b1acddf4876b35.jpeg

Two shameful results in Scottish football.

I love how they appear to have stood the bottles upright before taking the picture, for some reason, and I hope that guy got up the road OK without his left shoe.

I note a 24 year old Richard Madeley reporting on the Rangers demise.

image.png.e598f91a1733edf0585a5bb25e75d974.png

11 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Archie as the first Scottish sub is always a great quiz question.

Agreed. But Jim Clunie is the harder one for people to remember as the guy who was subbed off.

Quite possibly the only manager to have been sacked after defeating Celtic at Parkhead.

https://twitter.com/CairtersSMFC/status/882376259833036801?s=20&t=3p_QorJ1aaOT5_MA6PDRMg

14 hours ago, Luddite said:

Possibly, though he was at his hungriest and most enthusiastic around this time, still a young man and not suffering from the type of drinking problems 20 years later.

That being said, he did make a lot of contradictory, hypocritical and self-serving proclamations so you could be right. I’d just doubt it being the case at that particular time

Anyone who shot their mouth off like Clough did was bound to trip themselves up occasionally.

Having said that, I liked him.

On 25/05/2022 at 10:21, Jacksgranda said:

Programme from Hearts v Third Lanark on 9th January 1965. Hearts won 3-1. A fairly solid Hearts team there, going by the team lines, with no obvious stars, apart from maybe Jim Cruickshank and Alan Gordon, perhaps. Willie Wallace didn't become a "star" until he went to Parkhead, imo. Evan Williams, the Thirds goalie, also ended up at Celtic. Doug Baillie at centre half. The Kilgannon up front is perhaps a brother of Johnny and Jim Kilgannon. Looking at the league table, despite having only 7 points from 18 points, Thirds were by no means isolated at the bottom of the table, only a point behind Airdrie - with a game in hand - and 3 behind Dundee United. Alas, Thirds were at the start of a notorious run of 21 successive league defeats, interrupted by a 5-1 Scottish Cup win at Telford Street, followed by 2 draws and a defeat in the second replay from eventual finalists, Dunfermline Athletic, in the next round. Third Lanark then went on to lose their opening 5 sectional Summer Cup games before signing off with a 5-2 win over Airdrie.

Image 1 - Hearts v. Third Lanark SL Div. 1 Match Programme: 09.01.1965

Image 2 - Hearts v. Third Lanark SL Div. 1 Match Programme: 09.01.1965

Image 3 - Hearts v. Third Lanark SL Div. 1 Match Programme: 09.01.1965

This makes me feel so old!

As a young lad on Mull in the 70s I was always "Jim Cruikshank" when playing in goal.  I assume he was still a youngster in 65. (Ah - just Googled - he was 24 in '65)

Happy, worry-free days for young AM.

34 minutes ago, Am Muilleach said:

This makes me feel so old!

As a young lad on Mull in the 70s I was always "Jim Cruikshank" when playing in goal.  I assume he was still a youngster in 65. (Ah - just Googled - he was 24 in '65)

Happy, worry-free days for young AM.

You must be a about 10 years younger than I am.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Typo

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Anyone who shot their mouth off like Clough did was bound to trip themselves up occasionally.

Having said that, I liked him.

My personal favourite comes from the face-to-face he had with Don Revie on TV , something along the lines of "I believe in a different type of football to Don,  it can be played beautifully and get the same results, I'll admit I'm a little bit silly about this sort of thing, I do believe in fairies, although results show that maybe Don is right and I'm wrong. that being said I want to be like me....and Don wants to be like him"

"I do believe in fairies" always makes me smile, also some humility shown at that time as Mr.Revie had the upperhand.

Clough gets a lot of unfair slack that he was without humility, he definitely worked the loudmouth personality gimmick, but in many of his interviews he makes sure to undermine his more brash comments with little self-deprecating, self-aware remarks about his failings.

Clough my second favourite manager after Mr. Jim McLean :D

5 hours ago, Luddite said:

My personal favourite comes from the face-to-face he had with Don Revie on TV , something along the lines of "I believe in a different type of football to Don,  it can be played beautifully and get the same results, I'll admit I'm a little bit silly about this sort of thing, I do believe in fairies, although results show that maybe Don is right and I'm wrong. that being said I want to be like me....and Don wants to be like him"

"I do believe in fairies" always makes me smile, also some humility shown at that time as Mr.Revie had the upperhand.

Clough gets a lot of unfair slack that he was without humility, he definitely worked the loudmouth personality gimmick, but in many of his interviews he makes sure to undermine his more brash comments with little self-deprecating, self-aware remarks about his failings.

Clough my second favourite manager after Mr. Jim McLean :D

That 1974 ITV interview with Revie was a set up, Clough had no knowledge that Revie was going to be in the studio, and interviewer Austin Mitchell was there to stir things up. Clough had just been sacked the same day, adding to the volatility of the interview.

Aye, Clough's my second favourite manager too.

Oh, and as this is a photographic record of Scottish Football, sorry to go off track: here's a photograph of Queens Park's second Hampden Park (which eventually became Catkin Park) home to Queens Park from 1884 to 1903. Note the flag on top of the pavilion.

1870098089_ThesecondHampdenPark.thumb.jpg.ab60827b89ded29e07889d21879ae3e8.jpg

4 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

I must say, Mr Clough is probably not the only person to answer the question.  

You going to Airdrie?   'Nae, f**k that shithole'

Airdrie, like Rome, is built on 7 hills. People also spend a lot of time outdoors, drinking wine.

Image 1 - Aberdeen v rangers  Saturday  8th  April  1961 famous  6-1  Aberdeen  program

Image 2 - Aberdeen v rangers  Saturday  8th  April  1961 famous  6-1  Aberdeen  program

Image 3 - Aberdeen v rangers  Saturday  8th  April  1961 famous  6-1  Aberdeen  program

Image 4 - Aberdeen v rangers  Saturday  8th  April  1961 famous  6-1  Aberdeen  program

Image 5 - Aberdeen v rangers  Saturday  8th  April  1961 famous  6-1  Aberdeen  program

Image 7 - Aberdeen v rangers  Saturday  8th  April  1961 famous  6-1  Aberdeen  program

Image 8 - Aberdeen v rangers  Saturday  8th  April  1961 famous  6-1  Aberdeen  program

The Dons v Rangers, 8th April 1961. As can be seen by the front cover, the Dons won 6-1, which must have sent shivers up the collective Ibrox spine, Rangers having lost to Kilmarnock at Rugby Park 2-0 the previous week, and with Kilmarnock winning 3-1 at Fir Park, the gap at the top of the table was reduced to only 1 point, with 2 games each left.

But both teams won their concluding fixtures, so Rangers grabbed the title by a point.

George Kinnell, Charlie Cooke and George Mulhall are the stand out names in the Dons team, although I only saw Charlie in a Dons' shirt*. I also saw Billy Little and Jimmy Hogg playing for the Dons. Bobby Cummings got a hat trick, however, and he scored 49 goals in 87 appearances, before being transferred to Newcastle United.

I recognise Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow, Brand, Baillie, Scott, Davis, Stevenson and Wilson in the Rangers team, although I didn't necessarily see them all playing for Rangers. Was the Hume Bobby Hume who ended up - briefly - at Pittodrie?

Anyway, a famous win for the Dons and that scoreline has never been repeated in a league match, afair.

*ETA: Just checked, George Kinnell played his last home match for the Dons in the first match I attended.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Update

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Image 1 - Aberdeen v rangers  Saturday  8th  April  1961 famous  6-1  Aberdeen  program

Image 2 - Aberdeen v rangers  Saturday  8th  April  1961 famous  6-1  Aberdeen  program

Image 3 - Aberdeen v rangers  Saturday  8th  April  1961 famous  6-1  Aberdeen  program

Image 4 - Aberdeen v rangers  Saturday  8th  April  1961 famous  6-1  Aberdeen  program

Image 5 - Aberdeen v rangers  Saturday  8th  April  1961 famous  6-1  Aberdeen  program

Image 7 - Aberdeen v rangers  Saturday  8th  April  1961 famous  6-1  Aberdeen  program

Image 8 - Aberdeen v rangers  Saturday  8th  April  1961 famous  6-1  Aberdeen  program

The Dons v Rangers, 8th April 1961. As can be seen by the front cover, the Dons won 6-1, which must have sent shivers up the collective Ibrox spine, Rangers having lost to Kilmarnock at Rugby Park 2-0 the previous week, and with Kilmarnock winning 3-1 at Fir Park, the gap at the top of the table was reduced to only 1 point, with 2 games each left.

But both teams won their concluding fixtures, so Rangers grabbed the title by a point.

George Kinnell, Charlie Cooke and George Mulhall are the stand out names in the Dons team, although I only saw Charlie in a Dons' shirt*. I also saw Billy Little and Jimmy Hogg playing for the Dons. Bobby Cummings got a hat trick, however, and he scored 49 goals in 87 appearances, before being transferred to Newcastle United.

I recognise Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow, Brand, Baillie, Scott, Davis, Stevenson and Wilson in the Rangers team, although I didn't necessarily see them all playing for Rangers. Was the Hume Bobby Hume who ended up - briefly - at Pittodrie?

Anyway, a famous win for the Dons and that scoreline has never been repeated in a league match, afair.

*ETA: Just checked, George Kinnell played his last home match for the Dons in the first match I attended.

Interesting that the programme notes express concern that 'the front rank' for the upcoming game against England at Wembley 'is lacking in power' . Well that front rank put 3 past England.....!!!!!  

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Interesting that the programme notes express concern that 'the front rank' for the upcoming game against England at Wembley 'is lacking in power' . Well that front rank put 3 past England.....!!!!!  

Quite so.

And the defence?

On 05/08/2022 at 14:59, Dundee Hibernian said:

That 1974 ITV interview with Revie was a set up, Clough had no knowledge that Revie was going to be in the studio, and interviewer Austin Mitchell was there to stir things up. Clough had just been sacked the same day, adding to the volatility of the interview.

Aye, Clough's my second favourite manager too.

Oh, and as this is a photographic record of Scottish Football, sorry to go off track: here's a photograph of Queens Park's second Hampden Park (which eventually became Catkin Park) home to Queens Park from 1884 to 1903. Note the flag on top of the pavilion.

1870098089_ThesecondHampdenPark.thumb.jpg.ab60827b89ded29e07889d21879ae3e8.jpg

Sorry, I did go off topic quite a bit there…here’s a retrospective look at Scottish footy kits from the 86/87 panini book for your perusal 😁3647E3D5-52A0-4AF9-9446-748F5561CAEC.thumb.jpeg.12cefffcbf934b558744f4e6c8190cd8.jpeg